Thread: Takeya Monster Village power issue - burnt diode help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Takeya Monster Village power issue - burnt diode help

Check for short circuits on DSP1 and DSP2 with your multimeter before trying another fuse, same with Z1-3 on the switch board. These components are designed to go short circuit and blow the fuse if there is an overvoltage, and they usually stay short circuited if they have been subjected to 110v.

If they are OK, then power the machine up with a new fuse, but with none of the output connectors on the switch board. If the fuse stays intact, then you know that the switch board is OK.

Powering up the switch board with the output connectors disconnected is OK, as there's no active circuitry on it. DO NOT power up the main power supply board (the one with the blown diode on it) without ALL of the connectors on it connected. The STK chips on the big heatsink require a load on the outputs to work, they are likely to self destruct if there's nothing connected for them to output to.

Check all the diodes on the power supply board, and the bridge rectifiers for short circuits. Also measure R1 as stated before. If R1 measures a lower value than what's printed on it, there's something else wrong in that area of the board, and D4 will blow again.

D5 may be a different type of diode. I can't see where it is on the photo of the board, so cannot advise on what it's powering or whether it is safe to substitute it with a 1N4002.
    Last edited by daverob; 11-19-2019 at 06:54 PM.

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Takeya Monster Village power issue - burnt diode help

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    D5 may be a different type of diode. I can't see where it is on the photo of the board, so cannot advise on what it's powering or whether it is safe to substitute it with a 1N4002.
    I have a picture of it in the post above. It's labelled differently than the D4 and D6 diodes. From what I can tell, the D5 diode comes off the power input on the bottom side of the board and on the top side of the board it goes into the C6 capacitor. But even if I knew what exactly to replace it with, I can't solder anything in that spot without messing anything up.

-Fuse