Thread: Dave Robs laser Cut Ball lifter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Dave Robs laser Cut Ball lifter

I'm not convinced about the long term reliability of these push-fit connections. I expect them to be OK for cold water connections where there's no likelihood of movement, but can't see them being appropriate for copper pipes with hot water. There is going to be some degree of thermal expansion when the hot water is running through the pipes, and contraction when it all cools back down to room temperature afterwards. This movement is likely to be taken up by the o-ring seal in the fitting and so it may prematurely wear.

Seeing as a failed rubber seal allowing water to drip onto the floorboards caused this entire dry-rot mess to occur in the first place, I don't think I'll be trusting an o-ring seal for a little while yet!
    As I've already got the fittings, solder, flux and a blowtorch from previous DIY plumbing attempts, I think I'll be using the old tried and tested copper pipes with soldered joints, and not have to worry about it springing a leak, with the added bonus of there being no restrictions to the flow of pachinko balls.

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Dave Robs laser Cut Ball lifter

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    I'm not convinced about the long term reliability of these push-fit connections. I expect them to be OK for cold water connections where there's no likelihood of movement, but can't see them being appropriate for copper pipes with hot water. There is going to be some degree of thermal expansion when the hot water is running through the pipes, and contraction when it all cools back down to room temperature afterwards. This movement is likely to be taken up by the o-ring seal in the fitting and so it may prematurely wear.

Seeing as a failed rubber seal allowing water to drip onto the floorboards caused this entire dry-rot mess to occur in the first place, I don't think I'll be trusting an o-ring seal for a little while yet!
    As I've already got the fittings, solder, flux and a blowtorch from previous DIY plumbing attempts, I think I'll be using the old tried and tested copper pipes with soldered joints, and not have to worry about it springing a leak, with the added bonus of there being no restrictions to the flow of pachinko balls.
    Well I agree with you on those push fit connections

a few years ago, water started coming through my kitchen ceiling and it brought down part of it, not great as it was winter time and the heating and everything had to be turned off.

Seems the bathroom radiator in the room above, a nice shiny modern chrome one with new piping etc had been connected with one of those push fit type connections, it was recommended by the local plumbing store as being suitable for that purpose too.

well it wasn't, it failed and cost us a repair and new plastering to the ceiling, so not something I would recommend using (unless they are totally different over in the USA?)

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to hanabi