Thread: My first restoration.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My first restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
    Looking through the threads on chrome cleaning it doesn't seem like there's much I can do about it short of chrome paint or a re chroming.
    Hey Matt,
    First of all: Welcome !!

All my frames have cleaned up well so far but one-- my beloved Model A single shot (everything was rusty on that beast). After the 00 steel wool treatment, it looked just like yours.

My nickel plating tank is not nearly large enough for this and besides, the pitting would have to be soldered in and smoothed first. I'm too cheap to spend a couple hundred on professional rechroming, so here's my plan, which I'm right in the middle of...

The mostly unseen parts of the frame (inside) are painted with "satin nickel" paint. I'm perfectly happy with that. On the outer face I sanded down the chrome and am using a high-build primer (available at auto parts stores) to fill it all in. It took many coats (considering the depth of the pits I should have used bondo first). Final wetsanding was with 1500 grit. It must be smooth as a baby's bottom for this to work well...

My initial feasibility test was "chrome tape" (often used for air ducts), carefully mitered at the corners and wrapped around the frame pieces. It's quite a convincing look, but it was hard to apply without wrinkles, taking several tries, and it scratches too easily. I was going to redo it followed by a clear coat to protect, but that looks too phony. So, my plan is to strip it off and use wide automotive chromed detailing tape, which is thicker and more durable.

I will post the final results. I think it will fool people.

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to Siouxzan