Thread: Brand new member here, just bought my first vintage pachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Brand new member here, just bought my first vintage pachinko

So like many here, when I was a kid my grandpa had a pachinko machine that I loved to play. I don't know what ever happened to it, nor do I remember much aboout it as to what brand or model it was (I was like 10)... Well I was browsing Facebook and I found one in a local group for $50. I'm not usually an impulse buyer but I instantly had a flashback to sitting in front of that machine, and I pounced on it. I honestly didn't do any research first, but from the pictures it looked to be in great shape and complete (albeit untested and no balls included). Now that I've had it a few days I've had a chance to do some homework and I've discovered that it is most likely a 1975 Kyoraku Electric (from watching this video from Dan Welch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHidjWyhjrM). It looks very much like the one he has, except mine has something in Japanese where his says Electric (is it "electric" in Japanese maybe?) and a slightly different playfield.

It doesn't appear to have any water damage on the playfield, it's just dirty. The front plexi was missing, so I'll need to know what size I should buy to replace it.

I also need to buy balls. I've heard that I should use actual pachinko balls, not 11mm ball bearings or slingshot ammo which are cheaper (about 3c per ball).. Any particular reason why other than authenticity? I've seen balls on ebay that run about 10c per ball for ones claiming to be authentic used from parlors. Should I go with those or is there a cheaper/better source?

Eventually I would like to tear this down and restore it. But I would also like to add some kind of electronic lights to it (like in the center feature, tulips, etc). I'm not sure what the one I have is worth as is, versus what it would be worth restored... Would doing modifications like that kill any potential value? I'm honestly not looking to restore it for sale, I intend to keep it (and any others I might get)but just something for future reference when stuff gets sold for my estate .

As you can also see in the pictures, it appears (comparing it to the one in Dan's video) that the ball feeder mechanism has been replaced by one without the solenoid - as the wires have been clipped and it appears that a "fin" has been shaved off the front plastic in order to accommodate it. I realize it's only a parlor function, but would it be worth tracking down one of the original feeders as far as restoration value goes?

I have the jackpot cover, I just took it off to look at things. Although it is cracked, I may be looking to have one 3D printed.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have other questions as I go, but that's all I have for now.. I'm looking forward to wasting many hours playing with this thing!

20220515_142503.jpg20220515_142553.jpg20220515_142830.jpg20220515_142926.jpg20220515_142947.jpg20220515_143006.jpg20220515_143024.jpg,

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to taz420nj

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Brand new member here, just bought my first vintage pachinko

Quote Originally Posted by taz420nj View Post

The front plexi was missing, so I'll need to know what size I should buy to replace it.

I also need to buy balls. I've heard that I should use actual pachinko balls, not 11mm ball bearings or slingshot ammo which are cheaper (about 3c per ball).. Any particular reason why other than authenticity? I've seen balls on ebay that run about 10c per ball for ones claiming to be authentic used from parlors. Should I go with those or is there a cheaper/better source?

Eventually I would like to tear this down and restore it. But I would also like to add some kind of electronic lights to it (like in the center feature, tulips, etc). I'm not sure what the one I have is worth as is, versus what it would be worth restored... Would doing modifications like that kill any potential value? I'm honestly not looking to restore it for sale, I intend to keep it (and any others I might get)but just something for future reference when stuff gets sold for my estate .

As you can also see in the pictures, it appears (comparing it to the one in Dan's video) that the ball feeder mechanism has been replaced by one without the solenoid - as the wires have been clipped and it appears that a "fin" has been shaved off the front plastic in order to accommodate it. I realize it's only a parlor function, but would it be worth tracking down one of the original feeders as far as restoration value goes?

I have the jackpot cover, I just took it off to look at things. Although it is cracked, I may be looking to have one 3D printed.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have other questions as I go, but that's all I have for now.. I'm looking forward to wasting many hours playing with this thing!

Measure for the plexiglass and pick up at hardware store, some folks prefer glass.

Authentic pachinko balls are a slightly different weight than ball bearings. I've seen 7.5 cent ones on eBay a few weeks ago in lots of 500.

Your machine is not uncommon or highly sought after. (like a power flash)

Not worth bothering with the solenoid, it doesn't affect value.

You will enjoy that machine and it looks like all the parts are there.

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Brand new member here, just bought my first vintage pachinko

Hello taz420nj and welcome to the group

Good looking machine! I can help you out with the original engraved balls for five cents each plush postage. Private message me if interested.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congratulations on your new pachinko. Sounds like you got one heck of a good deal on a nice looking machine.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to sparky kilowatt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Measure for the plexiglass and pick up at hardware store, some folks prefer glass.

Authentic pachinko balls are a slightly different weight than ball bearings. I've seen 7.5 cent ones on eBay a few weeks ago in lots of 500.

Your machine is not uncommon or highly sought after. (like a power flash)

Not worth bothering with the solenoid, it doesn't affect value.

You will enjoy that machine and it looks like all the parts are there.
    Ok gotcha. It actually makes me feel better that its not a rare machine or anything, that means I don't have to worry about anything and I can make it "mine"!

Are there "standard" glass measurements? I just want to make sure I don't screw up measuring lol.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice looking machine.

it should clean up really nice for ya

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

13. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

and biscuits
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

15. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57