Thread: Tomb Raider with Seized Reels

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Tomb Raider with Seized Reels

Hello All,

I am new to the communtiy and am also the proud owner of a new to me Tomb Raider Pachislo machine. I purchased it a few days ago knowing it had some issues.

I have been through the machine with the help of many posts on this forum. The main issue is after the machine has had a hard reset, the center and right reels do not spin after loading the machine with coins and pressing the stick to spin the reels. I have taken each of the reels out. I took the 4 screws out of each reel to separate the reel from the motor. I reconnected the harnesses. Cleaned the sensors. At this point, 2 of the three motors still do not spin. The main question I have is are the motors supposed to freely spin?I do get an E-6 code as well. I took the hopper out and went through and it spits out coins well.

One other note is the single bet bitton does not change the overall bet. It is always betting three. When I press this button, the light lights up on the mother board in the back of the machine so I assume its working. Sound, lights, monitor, everything else works.

I will add a video and pictures once I figure out how to do that on this site.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Tomb Raider with Seized Reels

I am not sure how to embed a video on here so I took a quick video of what it is doing and uploaded it to Youtube then pasted the url below. I do notice in the video the three stop lights do not light up. Not sure if they are supposed to light up on every game.
    20210806_133526.jpg20210806_133552.jpg

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Lucke1113

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

I can't help with your reel problems, but I can say that most machines are Max Bet only, even if there is a working single bet button, since they used the same case for several machines!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the forums!

I assume you already know (?) but the E-6 error is stating there's an issue with the reel spinning.

I'm no expert, but if it's easy enough to do, would it be worth trying to swap the position of the working motor? For example swap the reel 1 motor with reel 2. Turn it back on and test. If reel 1 stops working and reel 2 spins, then you can be almost certain that it's a broken motor. I'd test each reel though as there's no guarantee that the issue on each reel is the same.

Also it might be worth looking for broken wires as well. I bought a pretty old broken slot machine a while back (for 20 GBP!), and it turned out a few of the wires had been cut. In my case it was the hopper, and IIRC one of the reels. I just soldered it back together and it all started working again.

Best of luck!

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Hodaka

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

With the power off. You should be able to spin the reels with little resistance "well on all of mine you can" if its stiff. Then its either rubbing, or a fault with the drive assembly. As above try swapping out the motor from a good reel. But what ever you do. Make sure you put the reels back in the order they came out. Or it will really mess up the game play.
    Ian #UKPachinko

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks everyone for the links and welcome messages. I have watched some some Youtube videos to help understand more of what to look for.
    @Hodaka, I did go ahead and order 2 new (used) step motors. I did not know the E-6 is a reel error. For some reason, I thought it was a payoit error. Thanks for letting me know this. I will try to swap the reel motors and see if that changes anything as well.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Lucke1113

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wanted to give an update on the machine. The motors did come in. They were easier to turn by hand than the two that could not be turned by hand. I installed them and the 2 reels with the new/used motors would "catch" and spin. The third reel would not spin sometimes causing the E-6 error again. Another issue with the new/used step motors is the pulley that the reel screws to was shorter on the stem....I will try to add a picture to show what I mean. This made the reel rub on the light enclosure.

I added a couple thin washers at the bottom of the motor to help with the clearance. I also sprayed some Liquid Wrench on the motor stem which slowly worked its way into the motor. To my surprise, the motors turned easier. Even the two that were seized. Those still need more work though. I put everything back together and the machine seems to work well now. Time will tell what the liquid wrench will do to the motors, but it was better than buying another machine to use the step motors. I can not find any more step motors to purchase. I called a repair company and the company that made them for the machine

Thanks again for the help! I am sure I will run into another issue soon.20210812_121322.jpg
    Last edited by Lucke1113; 08-20-2021 at 09:02 AM.

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Lucke1113