Thread: Long Time Lurker, First Time Pachinko Owner Puyo Puyo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question Long Time Lurker, First Time Pachinko Owner Puyo Puyo

I have been watching the forums for a bit and just pulled the trigger on a Puyo Puyo (CRぷよぷよ CA 1/159.8) pachinko machine as the price was right and this is a franchise I'm interested in (though more from the Compile days, before Sega/Sammy).

Now here I am with it on the way and trying to figure out what I need to prep for.

I wanted to ask the community what I may need to actually play at home.

I know some basics such as balls and a 24v transformer, maybe a CRE (and optionally a ball return and volume mod).

The main things I'm looking for are:
    1. What size transformer? Any specific models recommended from the community?
    2. What size balls? I see different sizes for sale here and there, just want to get the right ones.
    3. Do I need a CRE or other similar device? Any specific recommended?
    4. Which volume mod would work without irreversible changes? (i.e. "no-cut" if possible)
    5. What else might I need?
    6. Anyone know of any service manuals for these models?

For context, I prefer no-cut mods so anything I need to get it up and running without any irreversible changes would be preferred, if at all possible.

??? Anything else useful as a first time owner? I would especially like to hear more about this model as I haven't found much from anyone who owns this specific model.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Long Time Lurker, First Time Pachinko Owner Puyo Puyo

Welcome. That's a machine I have been looking at as well (too many shiny things exist for me to get everything I want), so congrats on getting a really nice machine.

1. I have gotten transformers from Taiwan (worked great, super easy installation but expensive (especially once you add shipping)), the US through Digikey (paid about $40 for one but it's a little overpowered. It was all I could find that was in stock though so it was a good choice. Did a quick glance today but couldn't find a good fit that was in stock and not super expensive), and through Yahoo Auctions as an option when buying a machine (really cheap, pre-installed or super easy to install. No idea how much it impacts shipping cost though, but at 2700 yen for a transformer it's a steal). I've gone with 300+VA (120V->24V AC), which seems to be too much. But then again, the transformer that was included with a machine from YA is 360VA (15A), so what do I know.
    2. 11mm. Go with genuine pachinko balls and do not just buy random ball bearings on Amazon.
    3. Most of the time when you buy a machine it will come with a cheap CR adapter. If not you will have to make one or buy one. The Daverob dongle is highly recommended, but was out of stock last I checked (a few weeks ago) but he said he was working on building more.
    4. Some machines have good volume controls already so check those first (often a rotating switch in the back with four settings for volume, sometimes a setting requiring the settings key during reset). If you need physical volume controls: Lpads are the best, potmeters (1k, with a 10ohm resister in series) also works. You will have to cut the wires to the speakers for this and put them in series. Some sellers on YA already do this or have it as a pretty cheap option to do it for you. I highly recommend having the seller do it as it's not always easy to find the correct wires on some machines. If you want a no cut mod, you will need to find the connector(s) the speakers connect to, obtain the same connector both male and female, and build your own adapter to sit between them. Way too much effort as everyone else just cuts the wires.
    5. I recommend trays to catch the balls in to catch them in the back. Other options are a ball lifter to recycle the balls back up to the payout tray, a platform to keep the machine stabilized and to prevent it from tipping over or a cabinet that makes whatever setup you prefer convenient. Some people prefer a cabinet that catches the balls and drops them out in front or in a drawer at the bottom, or build them with a huge hopper, or make them so that they can hang the machine from the wall... Whatever you want is possible. Personally I went with very basic cabinets that use a ball lifter to dump into a hopper on top that is sized to mount a data counter on. And then a lid on top to keep most of the dust out of the hopper while keeping easy access. Sometimes I wish I had gone for something nicer or fancier, but as it is I enjoy the look and the ability to easily move machines around.
    6. There are some installation manuals floating around on Yahoo auctions, but chances of finding it for the machine you want are close to zero. I haven't bought any so I have no idea if they would actually be helpful.

3. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Atoombolle

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Any reputable vendor will sell you a proper transformer for the US; I’d buy one from the vendor so you know it’s the right one the first time.

As for volume controls; not needed on 95% of newer machines since there’s already 2 different volume controls installed from the factory on most; the master control volume settings (knob or switch on the back) and the buttons on the front that allow players to control the volume level via a menu screen. Most new machines can be set anywhere from silent to deafening volume levels.

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Appreciate the feedback from the experts and the detail was really helpful. While I would have preferred a complete package with everything already there for my first pachinko; for less than $300 shipped, I don't mind doing a little extra legwork.

1. Transformer: Still on the lookout for a transformer, but may try YA as I order from there frequently anyways. Nothing in my cart currently - so I wouldn't mind grabbing something stateside to expedite shipping time and prevent me from making poor decisions (i.e. ordering more stuff just because I already have something), even if it does cost a bit extra. Preferring something with an outlet to avoid removing the cord, though this seems nearly impossible to find.

2. Balls: I was also able to order 11mm pachinko balls (not bearings); I'm sure I'll need more for regular use, but only grabbed 500 to see the quality before ordering more.

3. CRE Dongle: Good news is I was able to purchase a Daverob CRE v3 dongle from Modern Pachinko as they had some available. Price was pennies more than directly from Daverob (after shipping) so not a big deal (~$49.82 w/ shipping + conversion vs $49.99)

4. Volume Control: As it sounds like it may already have this capability, I'll see what it has and go from there. If what ever it may have doesn't work out, I have a number of connectors and pots that may work or I can always grab some from DigiKey or Mouser - super quick shipping down in TX.

5. Other Stuff: I have a tray to use and am trying to figure out the plan for mounting for the long term. I like the wall mount option, but they aren't exactly light and would stick out a bit - running out of wall space between the PC10, NNC, and other toys. Similar space constraints for a free standing floor unit. I do think I want to data counter at some point and fortunately, was able to find wiring diagrams for that for at least one manufacturer.

6. Manuals: I dug around on YA and Mercari and didn't see one for mine that I could identify yet. While I don't expect to hear much back, I also reached out to Sammy to see if they could provide any information. Will keep folks posted if I have any luck on that front. I order a lot of stuff from Japan - anyone on here ever tried doing group buys to scan/preserve the manuals? I do similar for other media when I run across it.

Appreciate any other info the folks here have to provide and wouldn't mind hearing from any other owners of the same machine, as I don't see much about this one on here.

Will definitely post photos when it arrives and (hopefully) have it up and running.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Repute

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On YA it's often a bunch of transformers grouped together. If you want one with connectors/socket, getting one from JT-Comatz is going to be fast and easy (not cheap, mind you). I know the two transformers I have from them both were plug and play, but you can check with them before you buy (contact one of their reps on Facebook). DigiKey or Mouser can get you a transformer, but you'll have to solder it in place (that said, take apart the cheapest 2-pin extension cord you can find and solder both ends to the transformer and you will have your own plug and play one without cutting the cable of the pachinko machine).

As far as group buys go, there's a group in North Carolina that does group buys through JT-Comatz. As far as group buys through YA goes, the extra shipping cost within the US for me is likely not worth the savings in combining shipping to you. But for others who may be near you or only buy something rarely it would be a good option.

Enjoy your machine!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Repute View Post
    Appreciate the feedback from the experts and the detail was really helpful. While I would have preferred a complete package with everything already there for my first pachinko; for less than $300 shipped, I don't mind doing a little extra legwork.

1. Transformer: Still on the lookout for a transformer, but may try YA as I order from there frequently anyways. Nothing in my cart currently - so I wouldn't mind grabbing something stateside to expedite shipping time and prevent me from making poor decisions (i.e. ordering more stuff just because I already have something), even if it does cost a bit extra. Preferring something with an outlet to avoid removing the cord, though this seems nearly impossible to find.

2. Balls: I was also able to order 11mm pachinko balls (not bearings); I'm sure I'll need more for regular use, but only grabbed 500 to see the quality before ordering more.

3. CRE Dongle: Good news is I was able to purchase a Daverob CRE v3 dongle from Modern Pachinko as they had some available. Price was pennies more than directly from Daverob (after shipping) so not a big deal (~$49.82 w/ shipping + conversion vs $49.99)

4. Volume Control: As it sounds like it may already have this capability, I'll see what it has and go from there. If what ever it may have doesn't work out, I have a number of connectors and pots that may work or I can always grab some from DigiKey or Mouser - super quick shipping down in TX.

5. Other Stuff: I have a tray to use and am trying to figure out the plan for mounting for the long term. I like the wall mount option, but they aren't exactly light and would stick out a bit - running out of wall space between the PC10, NNC, and other toys. Similar space constraints for a free standing floor unit. I do think I want to data counter at some point and fortunately, was able to find wiring diagrams for that for at least one manufacturer.

6. Manuals: I dug around on YA and Mercari and didn't see one for mine that I could identify yet. While I don't expect to hear much back, I also reached out to Sammy to see if they could provide any information. Will keep folks posted if I have any luck on that front. I order a lot of stuff from Japan - anyone on here ever tried doing group buys to scan/preserve the manuals? I do similar for other media when I run across it.

Appreciate any other info the folks here have to provide and wouldn't mind hearing from any other owners of the same machine, as I don't see much about this one on here.

Will definitely post photos when it arrives and (hopefully) have it up and running.
    Which vendor is selling newer machines shipped for less than $300?! That’s 2000’s era pricing

Normally shipping alone is $300+ not to mention the cost of the machine itself and a transformer.

If it sounds too good to be true…

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hopefully it’s the whole machine and not just the cell at that price.