Thread: Curious - Restoring vrs Playing? How do you decide on your next machine?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Curious - Restoring vrs Playing? How do you decide on your next machine?

Hello collectors, I'm new to the world of Pachinko, and I am afraid I might be addicted already. My best friend bought a vintage machine a few weeks ago and then bought one for me this past weekend. I dont even having mine running 100% yet but I am already looking for other ones to purchase and have already spent a fortune on balls. I just gave my adult son, who is also a tinkerer the "tour" of my current machine and now he wants one too! So, while I know there are probably hard core collectors that have tons of machines and some that will only own one, I am curious about the majority? Are you buying to restore or to play and what makes you buy a certain machine, or pass up another. Is it always condition, price or availability? Or does art or story behind a machine convince to you purchase?

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to JaneyRedBrick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Curious - Restoring vrs Playing? How do you decide on your next machine?

I have only 26-30 machines...and I am a vintage pachinko guy. So moderns don't entice me too much...although I am always looking for "that modern" that will convert me! As I have ALL the vintages that I need, although NOT all that I WANT...I keep looking! Myself, I look foe VERY OLD pachinkos...or a mechanism on the back that I have not EVER seen before! LOVE Model A's, find Model B's boring, and Model C's very interesting. I have 1 early modern...that I like better than my 1 modern. I like vintage machines the best...the older and more unusual...THE BETTER!

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Curious - Restoring vrs Playing? How do you decide on your next machine?

I look for variety in my machines. I have bought and sold several different machines over the past couple of years. I have kept a modern machine, a computer pachinko, a hanemono (although planning on selling that one after cleaning it some more), an arrangeball, a PowerFlash, and two pachislos.

I search pretty often to see what comes up for sale around me and if something catches my eye for the right price, I will grab it. I am currently hunting for an interesting Single ball to add to my collection.

I have to admit though, hunting for machines and fixing them up is almost as much fun as playing them to me.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For me, I enjoy playing moderns and restoring vintage. I am not an electronics guy, and moderns are more computer now than anything else. However the expanded playability of a modern has me hooked. I'm always looking for the next "mini game" or "reach" or "video sequence" that I haven't discovered yet. And a full fledged fever is exciting to play through.

Restoring a vintage pachinko is also very rewarding. I have done two playfield replacements and since I have no real room for a "work" area, I quell my tinkering addiction by cleaning up and repairing other vintages. My collecting days are pretty much over (yeah... right...) and my collection stands at 1 Vintage, 1 Hanemono (early modern), and 2 modern. I have a spare cell for one the moderns so essentially it's 5 machines in 4 frames.

I prefer the model Nishijin Model 'A' recycler for Vintage machines because it is nice to be able to play for extended periods of time without filling up the jackpot hopper.

In choosing vintages for playing, I like playfield variety. The 71 "bowling" machine I have is awesome because of the wide variety of various payout options on the machine. There are many pathways that can open up other paths and create more scoring opportunities.

For moderns, I go by the theme. I love Star Wars, so of course my first modern was Star Wars. Being a Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) fan as well, my other modern and the corresponding spare cell is based on Yamato.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

im a vintage kinda guy.. mordern machines do do much for me.. i truly enjoy the feel of the flipper and the action it gives.. holding a knob and rapid firing balls just dosent do it for me.. i get the lights and sounds and watching the vids but i find my self staring off into space waiting for a ball to hit a pocket...

for me its about price and quality.. im only looking for machines that will clean up and look great.. for the right price.. i have allready bought the junkers for cheap and got them working but im not happy with stained cells or broken parts..

the back story does nothing for me.. its not like there is a unrestored one owner machine out there with low miles.. there all used...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Don't like moderns for multiple reasons and I only collect arrangeball machines which if you search the site, you'll see what they are. The vast majority of vintage machines are interesting but pretty boring. I'd own one or two early single shots which are as much art as anything. Once the 60's and beyond came along, cel design got progressively worse and uninspired.
    As for restoring, it depends on how badly the appearance is. I like patina but if there's actual damage then they're candidates for restoration. I do extensive cosmetic restoration which also includes the functional aspects of the machine as well. These machines are electronic and for a couple of them I've also had the electronics gone over. Just depends on the "feel" I get from the machine.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to Pachitalk

I mainly buy to restore. However I do buy to play and keep. It mainly depends on what catches my eye. But condition is key, as bad machine = long restoration project. Though cool machines that are harder to find I would buy and keep really no matter the condition.

100 machines and counting...

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I have only 26-30 machines...
    "Only" he says.

I don't like to restore anything, but I did find odd satisfaction in performing a thorough cleaning of the ball handling mechanisms of my three moderns. its seeing something go from cruddy disgusting to spanking clean that gives a feeling of salvation and accomplishment. Its like I am "making it right."
    Da' Horse!

Don't F with Pachinko Machines, Man !

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to heima

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Curious - Restoring vrs Playing? How do you decide on your next machine?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneyRedBrick View Post
    ... Are you buying to restore or to play and what makes you buy a certain machine, or pass up another. Is it always condition, price or availability? Or does art or story behind a machine convince to you purchase?

I'm buying to re-condition. My favorite thing is to add lighting or electronics to vintage machines.

SANKYO Derby Gate LED playfield Lights ON.jpg _SC04315.jpg

To each, their own...

Availability is my main limitation, I tend to not pay for shipping. Condition is not as important, because one can make a nice machine out of several junkers.

Price is the most fun; some owners think their clunker is worth thousands, bless them! It might be worth a thousand; just not to me...

20. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to CarlW