Thread: New Evangelion Version 5 Play Report!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New Evangelion (Version 5) Play Report!

Hey all!

I've settled into my new life in Tokyo as I go through the next few months of Japanese lessons before starting my transfer job. However, school is currently on break and it just so happened that the new Evangelion machine was put out in the wild today and I couldn't pass up a chance to try it out myself.

Here's a link to the machine if you haven't seen it before: Translated version of http://www.pachinkovista.com/pfactory/model.php?nid=17519dsp=0

First the verdict: It is, in most ways, better than Version 4. HOWEVER, Version 4 has -- in my opinion -- better designed animatronic parts.

As a comparision on this point, Version 4 has two main animatronics: A fold out jaw for the Eva 01 unit that roars and takes up a full third or the screen and Eva 01's fingers grasping a timer that is used during mission modes and reaches (the fingers move out of the way to reveal the timer).

Version 5 has smaller Eva 01 jaw that takes up a measly 5th of the screen on top, and two Eva 01 unit hands which are modelled to show the unit pulling apart an AT field. (Watch the show. Then still be confused.) The problem: They're -very- limited use for one... They get used only sparingly (one hand or two) to show the possibility of a super reach, and -- here's the kicker -- in the ONE animation in which Eva is ripping open an AT field...THEY'RE NOT USED!!! What???

Anyway... Animatronics aside, if you played Version 4, it's basically the same with an upgrade on the graphics and one very important difference. This one takes more advantage of possible win situations. This is to say that unlike some pachi's which, when you see a certain animation complete in a reach (such a 4, 5, 4 before it reverts to the normal spin screen) you know it's over, Version 5 always has a possible winning animation just a second away.

So when you get through part 1 of a reach, there's part 2 possible. When you finish part 2 and still haven't won, there's a part 3... if that fails (usually doesn't since it's Kaworu's Eva unit picking up the slack for your failures), there's always the screaming Eva 01.

Plus, the mission modes actually win now. (Ok, they won in Version 4 too... but it seems to have improved in variety.) And there's a few new modes to keep you interested to boot.

Last comment, when you win with an odd number (the usual red vs. blue), the continue mode plays the Hallelujah chorus... which is great if it's you... not so great if you're hearing it from the machine next to you.

----------------

Side note: If you're in Japan during a new machine opening and want to try it out, you must stop by the day before to register for the opportunity. Otherwise expect a LONG wait standing behind machines hoping that someone gets fed up or cashes out AND you're the first to grab it.

Thankfully, I knew this and got a low enough draw number to sit down at opening.

Hope this was somewhat interesting. Feel free to pelt me with questions. I'll hop in from time to time.

- Sederien
    Currently Own: Nothing. I play mostly online now.

2. The following 20 users say "Thanks" to Sederien

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Evangelion (Version 5) Play Report!

When i first heard about this machine - I decided that in one year i would have it...well the clock is ticking...

Ah...Enjoy Japan - been there for two month - amazing country - cant wait to visit again...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ever since I got my Eva 3 machine I can't stop playing it. So I was excited when I saw there was a 4th and 5th one out. It seems you favor the 5th one more except for the animatronics. I would like to get both but getting one of them is probly all I can afford. Just don't know which one to get.

Which one is just more fun to play and watch?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Your assumption is correct. Other than the animatronics, I do like Version 5 better. And it will be more fun to sit and watch.

If you already have Version 3, you already have about 75% of Version 4. Version 4 had a significant upgrade in the casing and display, but the graphics and modes did not undergo a major overhaul. In the end, you're missing a song, an additional reach or two, and one mode (actual values approximate).

In comparision to Version 3, Version 5 is a large enough upgrade to justify a new purchase. In addition to the general stages (classroom, Shinji's bedroom, etc.) Version 5 also adds in a lot of side character stages and a lot more variety as previously stated. Again, the graphics have also improved greatly.

Example: Version 4 has 5 "Sound Only 01" through "Sound Only 05" pedistal lights on the bottom of the screen (a reference to secret director conversations in the show). They work as follows:

The far left and far right light up. If there's a better chance of winning, this is followed by the mid left and right. If there's going to be a super / action reach, the middle 01 lights as well. That's about it.

On Version 5 these have been replaced with generic NERV lights and a middle red dome light. Same action (sides to center), but the lights are also accompanied by a very distinct on screen (LCD) glow around them. They can also flash in sequence from right to left, etc. And the dome light allows a nice feature which is the usual 3 spin chance. First spin, it will light and the screen will radiate bright blue from the dome area. Second spin (if you're lucky), it will radiate bright red, and the third... I assume rainbow, but I haven't seen it. All with sounds of course.

That's just one example. There's also some new silver and gold chances, a few new character sayings, and... Now there's actually a new random Misato call for the Evangelions to launch. (It used to be that you would always see the same phrase said, but now it's the first part of the phrase followed by one of three different commands to launch. Each with their own chance of winning, of course.)

6. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to Sederien

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That helped to make up my mind, Thanks Sederien.

Time to save up for eva 5.

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Its nice to see you around again..thanks for the great posts...I hope your having fun in Japan!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks for your posts, they are really informative and it's great to hear reviews from people actually playing these in a Parlour environment too

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No problem.

I should just note that his particular outing was a -huge- exception for me. When I do find or steal time to play, I typically do so in an arcade or 1 yen (typical conversion is 4 yen) parlours which have a large selection of machines, but very rarely anything newer than 3 to 4 months old.

This keeps the general visit tab down under $30-50 assuming you don't win. (Remember, I play for fun. I'm not there to gamble. 1 yen is the same as 4 yen in play experience. Just 4 times cheaper!)

It costs about $200 to properly try out a new machine (gives you perhaps a 60% chance of winning at least once) and there are many I wish I could, but don't have the budget or time.

I just happen to (a) love the Eva series in general and (b) really wanted to try an opening day experience once. It's kind of a feeling to know that you are the very first person to play a machine.

This type of thing won't be a general occurance though. Once I start work in September, I'll have money again... but no time. ^^

11. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Sederien

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Sederian!!

You're living the dream of everyone here on PachiTalk,
    Playing pachinko in Japan
    My favorite color is Ham

13. The following user says "Thanks" to BigBearSteve

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm very happy with my Evangelion one
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just thought I'd add an additional confirmation after some more play time with the machine:

My opinion hasn't changed at all. It's overall better, but with slightly less fun animatronics.

Also: NEW RECORD!!!

11 fevers (9 consecutive) and a total of 13,567 balls upon checking out. That's about 8,000 more than my previous 'best!'

For anyone unfamiliar with palour play, at the peak of my winnings (about 16,000 balls) that puts 11-12 ball trays stacked behind me or, in this case since it's nipachi (half price eva, yea!), 6 double sized trays. You typically see no more than 4 (2 double sized) trays behind any person unless they get ridiculiously lucky.

P.S. The triple Eva reaches are, as in Version 4, just awesome.
    Last edited by Sederien; 04-17-2009 at 07:55 PM.

16. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to Sederien