Thread: Ball Shooter Doesn't Work + Error Code?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Ball Shooter Doesn't Work + Error Code?

Hi everybody! (I need a Dr. Nick from The Simpsons graphic there)

Just got 3 pachis on craigslist, 2 that were supposedly not working - Popeye and Saint Maria. The Saint Maria was supposed to work with an intermittent ball shooter problem, and the Popeye was supposedly broken. I've gotten them to power up, they pay out just fine when balls are dropped in pockets, the graphics are awesome and work perfectly, but neither shoots balls. I opened the front doors and gave them a cleaning (dust, tape, candy wrappers, Popeye looked like someone may have spilled some soda in the front ball tray), checked the connections for the wires coming out of the ball shooter assembly to the circuit boards on the back (all connected), and checked for loose wires (none).

On the back of Saint Maria, there is a VERY small box at the bottom left that has a lit-up number "7" in it. When the door of it was ajar it said "8", but now it only says "7". I couldn't get a legible picture of it, but there's an index on the back with numbers 1-7 and a string of characters after, which I assume is a list of error or status codes. I tried drawing them out but a few were well complicated and I failed spectacularly. Maybe someone else has one?

What else should I look for? What would be a logical next step? Has anyone had a ball shooter problem with either of these machines?
    12 Vintage Pachis - Super Soccer Stadium - Saint Maria - Pink Panther - Nishijin Pachinko Awards - Sammy Fruit Field - Magic Carpet - Flying Carpet - Mr. Fall - Dokanjima. Hanemono fan, musician, DJ, daydreamer...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Ball Shooter Doesn't Work + Error Code?

The Popeye likely only has a dongle problem. Check to see if it is seated properly (or if it is even there) and if so, then swap it out with a dongle from another machine. The locations for the dongles are different for every machine (CR machines) but they are fairly easy to find. They look similar to a plug from your old printer cable.
    A Hardy har har...

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Ball Shooter Doesn't Work + Error Code?

REALLY???

The girl I got them from gave me the 3 pachis, a box of balls, and a plastic bag with 2 things that look like the plugs from an old printer and what looks like a rechargeable battery. I asked her what they were and she said, "I don't know, but they go with the machines". Could these things be dongles that were removed from the 2 machines and just need to be reinstalled for them to shoot??? Where would an ignorant lad like myself find the spot where it goes?

Oh lord, am I excited right now that that might be the case. Let it be so!
    12 Vintage Pachis - Super Soccer Stadium - Saint Maria - Pink Panther - Nishijin Pachinko Awards - Sammy Fruit Field - Magic Carpet - Flying Carpet - Mr. Fall - Dokanjima. Hanemono fan, musician, DJ, daydreamer...

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

yup your right there they are dongles on popey you will find the plug about half way down on the left hand side in the back

as fo rthe other 2 i cant remember as i cant remember wich frame they belong to that would cure any shooter problems

some sellers solder the dongle components streaight to the bord for ease of not having to use a dongle wich is why you may be 1 short dont worry if o uplug the dongle i nthough as it wont cause any damage

if i remember right on the santa maria with the #7 error problem the #7 means the top hopper is empty try adding balls to the hopper enough to put a 1 ball thick layer in the bottom of the hopper ans see if the 7 gose away
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

6. The following user says "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yep they sound like dongles to me!!

not sure what your machines look like from the back, so unsure where your dongles should go

If you are able to take a close up pic of the backs, then perhaps someone can tell you??

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If polygamy was legal, I'd marry each and every one of you.

That is AWESOME. I am tempted to leave work early and suss this dongle business all out! The remaining 6 hours of my day are going to be EXTREMELY long, indeed! Man, if THAT'S all they need I am going to be the happiest boy on my road tonight.

Doc, I do have a bunch of balls in the top hopper so I don't think that's it, unless it's not triggering correctly. I wish my camera wasn't so dodgy so I could capture better pics. I asked my wife why she hasn't learned Japanese yet but I got a stare instead of a response...

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Hope Chest

Thanks
    Thanks Received

dont worry about the dogeyness of your pics any will help you and us to help you

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dongle connections are always lower right side of the back, looking at the back. Variation is horizontal/vertical/facing out/facing down

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Saint Maria's is lower right, just to the right of the power switch in a vertical position. You really can't miss it!
    Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Ikaria

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!! They run like a dream!!! Such a simple fix!!!

The error code on back is now gone, so I'm assuming that "7" means "excuse me, sir, but you don't have a dongle".

Played them for a few minutes each, then ran upstairs and got the missus. Within 5 minutes of playing, she was able to get both Popeye and Saint Maria into a fever mode (Popeye's was insane!) - she seems to do that with every modern she sits down at, lucky woman. These modern pachis are something else...

Thanks a million everyone!!! It's a short trip to ball lifter-land from here, methinks...

17. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Hope Chest

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Saint Maria's been working like a dream until yesterday when I powered it up. It shoots and plays but no payouts, even though there are a ton of balls. The small red light (lower light of 2 in upper left) is on and the error code on the back is "3". Can anyone give me a hint as to what the problem is exactly, and what to do?

Error codes I've figured out so far are:

"6" - Front door is open
    "7" - You, sir, are dongle-less

Thanks
    Thanks Received

check your ball tracks for any jams, if you know how to do a ball dump try that too.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

20. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

uomay find a jam by the ball sensor in the payout mec if you cant see the jam as that part is enclosed or just a dirty sensor if so clean with alcahol

22. The following user says "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Got it! The person I had bought these moderns from had about a half a dozen metal balls that were about half the size of pachinko balls mixed in with her others. I thought that I had gotten them all, but I missed one and it was jamming the payout mech. Thankfully, it was beyond easy to remove that piece and see the problem. One paperclip later and she works like a charm again.

You folks are great. Thanks again!!