Thread: Why Kanless?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Why Kanless?

I've been studying up on the evolution of Pachinko and find it fascinating. I get why machines went from being recyclers to non-recyclers. Modern Pachinko parlors developed their own automated ball handling systems and thus the need for a recycling machine was minimized. Non-recyclers are easier to design and less moving parts so I get it.

But the Kanless has me floored. If a Kanless were the first attempt at a recycler, I'd understand. However the Kanless seems to have taken a perfectly good A recycler and mucked up the works. I mean a huge motor just to lift balls an inch? What was the purpose of that? Also, quite a few other details required electricity that didn't previously. Jackpot payout for instance.

Was cheating a problem and the Kanless was more tamper proof?

If anyone could explain that whole "a", "a-kanless" to "b" transition it would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Why Kanless?

You actually are getting yourself kinda confused.

The model A machine was designed and produced from 1964-71. They went to that design because they showed how they wouldn't need workers lifting balls.

Then the model B was re-released in 1972-78. I'm not sure exactly why they went back to the model B but I think it was mainly because parlors had ball systems already in place, and it was cheaper to built the model B.

Then in 1976 they did like a special throwback to the model A and produced the Kanless machine. I think the reason why they did this was so parlor owners could brag about how they have the newest machines also they were pretty technologically ahead of the competition. From 1974-76 Nishijin was playing around heavily with electronics, most other companies kept it simple but Nishijin had the funds and wanted to be an innovator. So they went back to the model A and tried to figure out how could be make this machine cooler, so they slapped on a whole bunch of solenoids and motors.

Finally from 1978-1980 they went and released the model C. which was built because it had even less parts than a model B so making it cheaper to build, and easier to work on. Also they made it so they could easily change things out like payout amounts and playfield backgrounds.

Hope that clears it up for you.

100 machines and counting...

3. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

kanless machine could ahve also been built for thouse smaller parlors that did not have a lift system.. (jsut a thought)
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, but I still wonder what advantages the Kanless had over a traditional "A". Apart from the "see how cool it is to have a motor" aspect I don't see anything a Kanless could do that a traditional "A" couldn't.

I guess Dr. McCoy was referring to the Kanless machines when he said..." And they probably redesigned the whole sick bay, too! I know engineers—they love to change things."
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

7. The following user says "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by p.opus View Post
    Yeah, but I still wonder what advantages the Kanless had over a traditional "A". Apart from the "see how cool it is to have a motor" aspect I don't see anything a Kanless could do that a traditional "A" couldn't.

I guess Dr. McCoy was referring to the Kanless machines when he said..." And they probably redesigned the whole sick bay, too! I know engineers—they love to change things."
    I agree that there is nothing my Kanless can do that my model A can't. In fact the model A actually works faster, but the Kanless is still cool. The ball lifter is a perfect example. Put the tray a inch lower and you eliminate the lifter. The "why" they did this, who knows? But I say it is more of a "why not". I am sure they had fun making the machine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

one other thing different about the two,,, model "A" macines return the wining ball to the lower shooter tray... kanless machiens keep the winning balls and count it..

now it would have been easy to chage a MOdel "A" to keep the winning ball so thats probably not a big deal... just an interesting bit of info
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    one other thing different about the two,,, model "A" macines return the wining ball to the lower shooter tray... kanless machiens keep the winning balls and count it..

now it would have been easy to chage a MOdel "A" to keep the winning ball so thats probably not a big deal... just an interesting bit of info

Interesting. On mine, the winning ball does go back into my lower tray like the model A. I wonder if they made a couple of variations. I know yours came with some kind of counter, so maybe that is why that machine did that.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to tommy4132