Thread: I don't get it. :

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default I don't get it. : (

Let me preface this post by saying that I do not mean to offend anyone, just trying to learn what this is all about. I am fairly new to the hobby of pinball and in my searches have often come across pachinko postings (as to be expected). I am familiar with the vintage style where you plunge one ball at a time but recently saw a "modern machine" at a convention and was immediately hypnotized! I understand that pachinko is essentially a Japanese pinball machine equivalent to an American slot machine used to pay out either money or prizes. As much as I enjoy playing slots in Vegas the excitement is in the fact that I can win someone else's money, thus do not see the enjoyment of having one at home. Apparently this is not the case with pachinko. Not ever having played a modern machine I don't see the enjoyment factor of simply turning a knob ... but I want to! My initial attraction was the esthetics. Pretty colors, blinking lights, video, etc... , but there has to be more to it than that. The bottom line is that I don't even know where to start. I don't even know what questions to ask! I guess finding this site was the first step. The second would be to find a place somewhere in Massachusetts (or anywhere in New England) where I can go play a game and learn the rules. Any advise or shared personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: I don't get it. : (

check the many videos on youtube to see what all the excitement is all about
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

3. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just watched one for Fever Macross. I'm hooked!!!

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Daniml

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default I don't get it. : (

IMHO Theme is usually the most important aspect of a machine and is what makes them desirable

It's a lot like collecting slot machines, just with an unusual japanese twist
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yep, on the surface, it all looks pretty simplistic. Its when you play that you become immersed. Some games are good at doing that. Others not so much. But a necessary prerequisite is to have an open mind and free time. Without either of these, you will not enjoy the game. And if you don't like it, that's ok. We all have likes and dislikes.

I could not be bothered to attend a pro basketball, football (both types), hockey, etc sporting event. Others are there, partying in the parking lot before the game.

I have a one-week vacation coming up in June. Guess where I will go? Nope, Henryetta, Oklahoma. No, no relatives there. I am going there to get training to repair binoculars. WTF? Yep, that's my vacation. I have a large binocular collection and I want to know how to fix them.

By the way, if you like Fever Macross, then you will probably love other classic moderns, like Matrix, Star Wars (first one) Jurassic Park 3D, etc. Just keep watching the youtube videos to make your wish list.
    Da' Horse!

Don't F with Pachinko Machines, Man !

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Heima - Thanx for the recommendations ... I'll have to check them out on YouTube! I'm still learning how to navigate around this site but so far I've discovered that there are several members within Massachusetts so maybe I'll reach out to them as well. I have the opportunity to pick-up a Sankyo "Wanted" but would like to play a few before jumping into a new hobby. I'm sure it can't compare to Fever Macross but at $150 is it worth buying?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wanted is a western theme with western music, you should be able to find videos of it in action on youtube too
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: I don't get it. : (

Hello!!

Sadly some people never 'get' modern pachinko, but for those that do, it is a very exhilarating game play, Fever rounds can be mesmerising and there is always that "i must keep playing, i must see what happens next" thing going on.

Most moderns offer a lot more that just flicking the balls around, these days they are very interactive with video screens, great soundtracks, and some have animatronic / moving features.

Although I have various games machines including pinballs, pachislos and vintage & modern pachinkos, I'm really a modern pachinko girl at heart, so my opinion is probably a bit biased

Usually we say to pick a theme that appeals to YOU, as there are lots of different themes out there, checking out YouTube videos is an excellent introduction, although bear in mind that most people video the bonus or Fever rounds, which can be spoilers if like me you prefer to discover the surprises for yourself.

The members here are really friendly and knowledgeable and I'm sure will offer lots of advice if you have any titles in mind

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

11. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wanted is a classic,but the music gets very repetitive quickly
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

13. The following user says "Thanks" to alphaminor

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Search Craig's List in your area for pachinko. Most of the listings will be vintage machines - unfortunately.

The shipping is a big cost factor.

There are a few websites that will order and / or ship you a newer machine.

I have two of the more popular machines. But both are relatively old now.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As others have said, the theme is important. There's a certain excitement that I get from playing any pachinko machine I haven't seen before, and the first time you see some of the reaches and fever modes on a modern machine can be exhilarating (even if you're not playing for money!). But if the theme resonates with you, then it's like the old movie that you never tire of where the Blu-Ray box is starting to show the wear of repeated plays (as did the DVD and VHS before it!), and even though you're sure you've already seen everything it has to offer, you still find yourself coming back to it over and over again.

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks like every one got ya covered..

Welcome to Pachitalk

looking forward to what ya get
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanx everyone for your insight and suggestions. Are there any other sites that you would recommend for viewing galleries of machines (old and new) to see whats out there? Is there a price guide of sorts to get an idea of what something might be selling for? Best sites for purchasing/selling machines (preferably in the US)? Conventions, shows, parlors/stores, ... all that basic stuff a noob like me might wanna know!

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

The best lists and galleries are on Japanese language websites. Again with the online videos. I use mansai777 for searching for machine names. Their list go back over 20 years. But there are hundreds of machines listed. It's a good idea to know what theme you would want. As it might be hard to get an idea from a picture.

As as with all things in life, some people love some machines and others think the same machine is boring. Most of my machines are purchased by the theme. Cutie Honey Masion Ikkoku, Ice Age, Urusei Yatsura, Lupin III for anime themed. Hot Springs and Hanafuda story for a more traditional Japanese themed. New Weather Studio, Mini Suka Police 2, Super Sea Story, Go by Train 2 and Southen Raised for fun themes.
    Ian #UKPachinko