Thread: Looking for Lord of The Rings

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Looking for Lord of The Rings

Hey everyone. My attempt to find a titanic pachinko has been unsuccessful. So I’ve decided to hold out for later. Now I’m looking for a lord of the rings machine. I believe it was a sankyo victory probably? Any leads please let me know!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Looking for Lord of The Rings

You ever get one? I'm thinking of selling. I have no idea what they are worth. Will post question on main forum.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I dod not find one. Any pics or videos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No. Its decent though. I just read can't sell machines here, so not sure how much I can say. Has one LED out on the outer red ring. Not sure if it can be replaced. When I bought it, I had to return 2 of them because so many of the color LED's were bad on the top. This one was near perfect, so stopped swapping them out. Been in the closet for a while, but still seem to play. I posted a message on the main forum, but it hasn't shown up yet. I was really curious if anyone knew the game rules for this machine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok. Yeah I don’t know much about the operations of them. But I do have a few machines. And I’m trying to build up a movie kind of collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do you have any idea what they are worth? What would you consider a really good (buy) price?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Pachiboy View Post
    Do you have any idea what they are worth? What would you consider a really good (buy) price?
    I’d say a Lord of the Rings machine is worth $80-120 tops. Maybe $150 if you’re a huge L.O.T.R. nerd and just have to have it.

As someone who owns many mid-2000’s Sankyo cells I can tell you many of them can and do go bad the screen can stop working at any time. Then you are just S.O.L. . Not a good position to be in especially if you overpaid. Three of mine have gone bad; Marilyn Monroe, Fever Powerful, and magic carpet. So buyer beware! These machines are made to be disposable, they are getting up there in age, and they don’t make them like they used to!

Honestly I’d be looking for a more modern game if you want a GOOD digipachi.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    I’d say a Lord of the Rings machine is worth $80-120 tops. Maybe $150 if you’re a huge L.O.T.R. nerd and just have to have it.

As someone who owns many mid-2000’s Sankyo cells I can tell you many of them can and do go bad the screen can stop working at any time. Then you are just S.O.L. . Not a good position to be in especially if you overpaid. Three of mine have gone bad; Marilyn Monroe, Fever Powerful, and magic carpet. So buyer beware! These machines are made to be disposable, they are getting up there in age, and they don’t make them like they used to!

Thanks for the info. You are the second person to quote this range. It is good to know. I have too much going on in my life to jump through a bunch of hoops for $80 to $150. It my nephew doesn't want it, I'll just put them both out on the curb (other is a non-working Honey Bee). One less thing to worry about.

It was fun playing it again after 10 years. Forgot how loud it was. 3 position volume control and hard to sit in front of even on the lowest setting. Maybe I'll play it to until I get fever. I know the "Sting" sword glows blue at some point, but haven't been able to hit that mode either. The ring inscription glows red right before you get 2 out of 3 on the reels ("close" mode). Kinda spoils the illusion of randomness on the spinning reels: )

Only hit fever once or twice total since I bought it (put me in the overpaid slot at $350, but it was right when they were first being imported). Also only saw two or three settings (Aragon, Legolas, and Gandalf). I have a lot more "fellowship" I'll probably never see... (although Sting glowing might be Frodo mode, so I have have had that before).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Pachiboy View Post
    You ever get one? I'm thinking of selling. I have no idea what they are worth. Will post question on main forum.
    Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post

What goes bad exactly, the screen itself, or the chip that causes the startup problem?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Trol View Post
    What goes bad exactly, the screen itself, or the chip that causes the startup problem?
    Yes, a chip goes bad over time causing the issue per pachinko expert Daverob. No problem with the LCD screens themselves. Read this thread: https://www.pachitalk.com/forums/sho...-powerful-quot

Because of that issue; and the fact 3 of my cells are duds now I don’t recommend early-mid 2000’s Sankyos unless you get them cheap and are aware of risks involved; I’d make an exception for Julie Pinball if I didn’t already have one as that is probably the best pachinko of the 2000’s. Certainly the best Sankyo. Cutie Honey night actually be #1 now I think about it since not potentially afflicted with ticking timebomb chips!

Here’s a pic of what the issue looks like; poor Marylin Monroe!

Last edited by lotsoballs; 10-29-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh yeah; I should mention all machines that came down with this dreadful condition first started exhibiting the well-known Sankyo startup issues until warmed up; so it’s definitely not a good sign and could mean the the “bad” chip is on the way out...
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 10-29-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm no expert, but though bad silicon chips work best "cold". When someone says something doesn't work cold, I think capacitor. Cheap capacitors most definitely degrade, and there was a generation of Samsung TV's known for this if I'm not mistaken (google "samsung tv capacitor"). I wouldn't throw those out until I've replaced the capacitors.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Read your other thread. FYI, on LOTR "everything else" is definitely not normal when this occurs, and the machine seems unplayable. Sounds like 2 different (possibly related) issues. Still think a batch of bad capacitors is more likely than chip degradation, although the latter is possible. Also, as mentioned in that thread, stressed/cracked solder connections also seem more likely, usually caused by cheap circuit boards. As things heat up, connections get better. I could be convinced of that.

Either bad capacitors or bad solder joints will both get worse over time, so flip a coin and guess.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Was thinking about the caps too. But I'm hesitant to tinker with it while it is still working ok.....

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm tinkering with it..... continued in the other thread, linked in post#11