Thread: Sansei R&D machine card unit connection questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sansei R&D machine card unit connection questions

Hello everyone,

I am new to the pachinko world and have got my hands on a CR Sansei R&D Oh My Goddess machine. It looks to be a 2011 release. I haven't had much luck finding information on it. I have been trying to get it run, but I am having trouble getting the unit to play properly. I cleaned up the rails and any place the balls go and got a good look at where everything goes. I got a lot of gunk out of it. The sound, lights, motors, and video all seem to work just fine. Now, I have done some research and troubleshooting and have gained a little knowledge on it, but I think my issues stem from what is on the back of the unit. It looks like a bypass mod of some kind. I have cleared other error codes and was actually able to get balls to feed and fire at random times, but not firing consistently. So, it seems to be getting the proper voltage to activate the launcher. I got a batch of 500 actual pachinko balls and that seemed to clear up any feed errors. Now I am constantly getting an error code 7 "Card Unit Not Connected" (See photo “Error code 7”) and it won’t respond to any inputs. I’ve read on here that there are card reader bypass dongles, but when I bought this machine, there was something already plugged into the card reader interface. You can see it in the attached “Possible card reader mod” photos. There is a covered board attached to the back that is intricately connected all over the place. What you can see in the attached “D-25 pin connections 1” and “2” photos is the D-25 pin connected with 6 wires coming out of it. These six all connect to the covered board. There are some other connections made to an external board under the payout module and next to the card interface board (See “External board under payout module” photos). I’m not sure if this is tied to the card reader, but one wire is loose.

As of right now, if I have balls in the machine and turn it on, the error code will remain at “0”, which is "normal". Once I hit the ball release button on the front, it will dispense a few balls before it goes to error code “7”. I’m hoping I can get my hands on the DaveRob card emulator and see if it works, but it looks like what is installed is pretty intricate.

Questions

1. Does anyone have an idea of what is installed in the card reader? Is it a bypass mod of some kind?
    2. Are the 6 connections to the connector all that are needed to get the machine to function properly?

3. Is there another wire connection I can make to make it believe there is a card reader connected?

4. Are there any modern Sansei unit manuals available anywhere?

I’ll probably have more questions later, but I greatly appreciate any thoughts on what is on the back of the unit and pointers on how to proceed.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mr. Squeezable

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sansei R&D machine card unit connection questions

I have seen some by pass dongles wired up to act as a data counter. But it seems all that one does is light up one bar on the middle 7 seg display. Its also connected to the ball loan and return buttons. Although it isn't supplying the 24vac to the mystery board. Seeing as you already found daverobs webpage. He also mentions the 5 opto isolators. Can you find them and see if they have been altered. And of course. Check the simple thing like the 1A fuse on the board. That the D plug is on. After that. I would unplug the board and make a standard dongle (also on daverobs page) and see if that gets rid of that error.
    Ian #UKPachinko

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh. Is this machine cyclic.

ie.
    If you drop a ball in a pocket or through the bottom of the playfield. Does the ball fall out the back or come out the front.
    Ian #UKPachinko

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Daverobs site has a wealth of info about CR machines

http://www.pinballdave.com/pachinko/...ardreader.html

I’d be trying more than one dongle before assuming it’s the machine causing the errors; dongles can go bad.

If it’s still happening on multiple different dongles, try resetting it and report back!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It will drop out of the bottom, so I think it is cyclic. I'm going to get my hands on a dongle and see what that does with it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes it does! I just see a single dash on the credit display on the front. I'll check those out and see what everything looks like.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Squeezable View Post
    It will drop out of the bottom, so I think it is cyclic. I'm going to get my hands on a dongle and see what that does with it.
    The question was. Does it fall out the front or the back.

Does the shooter work?
    Does it make any payouts?

Try a standard dongle for starters. See if that gets rid if the E-7
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh sorry, it falls out the back. It seemed like it was making payouts since both trays would fill up, but now it doesn't release anything. The shooter would only sometimes shoot, like 2 or 3 times before not responding. I'll try a standard dongle and get to folks here on how it responds. That seems to be the best next step. I greatly appreciate the insights.

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

and biscuits
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So, after playing around with the machine some more, I did find that it pays out fine as I throw balls in all of the payout slots when I had the door open. So, good on that. I did get some parts and built a CR bypass dongle. I was skeptical about it working, but I plugged it in and it got rid of the "Card Unit Not Connected" error code 7. It actually enabled the shooter to launch balls. The ball loan buttons and credit display don't operate, but that doesn't seem like this dongle would do that with the connections it has. So, I have high hopes that the DaveRob card emulator would work fine. Hoping they become available in the near future. CR bypass 1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Mr. Squeezable

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Daverob dongles do show in stock at Modern Pachinko

https://modernpachinko.com/collections/accessories

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    Daverob dongles do show in stock at Modern Pachinko

https://modernpachinko.com/collections/accessories
    Oh sweet! I didn't know they were available outside of the pinbaldave.com website. Thank you for the heads up!

18. The following user says "Thanks" to Mr. Squeezable