Thread: I need some advice/info on collection value to leave for the kids...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default I need some advice/info on collection value to leave for the kids...

Hi all,

So, as each year passes, thoughts of my mortality creep further into my mind. I hope to have many many years left, but you never know... so, I'd like to get some opinions on values of the machines in my collection so that my kids have at least a general idea of what they will have to deal with.

It's been many years since I purchased most of these, and I'm not deeply rooted in the hobby, so I may be a bit out of the loop on values. I know several are well liked and hard to find, but I'd love some help on what to jot down. And I realize that there are different models of some of these, but any ballpark figures will help. Thanks for any help here!

My current pachinko collection consists of Horror Mansion, The Omen, Neo Ghost, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Popeye, The Grudge, Indiana Jones, The Ring.

Current pachislo collection consists of Addams Family, Fever Ghost, Silent Hill, Neo Magic Pulsar,, Death Valley
    Pachislos: Addams Family, Fever Ghost, Death Valley, Silent Hill, Neo Magic Pulsar. Pachinkos: Horror Mansion, The Omen, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Indiana Jones, Popeye, The Ring, The Grudge, Ghost Neo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: I need some advice/info on collection value to leave for the kids...

You are correct; you can’t take it with you! Those are some good pachinko titles; I don’t know about pachislos though; not my thing. I’d say most of those pachinkos are in the $200-250 range; they are older. Maybe $300+ for Indiana Jones? You might get lucky and start bidding wars if put them on eBay.

Not to mention there’s a vendor JT Comatz with tons of newer machines on sale for the $199 Black Friday sale right now, and flooding domestic the market with less expensive newer machines. (I’m not complaining…) so that puts downward pressure on older pachinko prices to me.

I’m about to start selling off some older ones to make room!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: I need some advice/info on collection value to leave for the kids...

Thank you. I appreciate your reply. I must say that I'm a bit surprised at those numbers, but as I said I'm not in tune with these as I am with pinball machines. I realize that things do age, but man, way back when, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and Horror Mansion were highly sought after and commanded a lot more! Heck, I still think that Tom and Jerry beats any machine to date as far as sheer amount of toys and things going on. It is amazing!

Anyway, thanks again! Please keep the guesses coming, everyone!
    Pachislos: Addams Family, Fever Ghost, Death Valley, Silent Hill, Neo Magic Pulsar. Pachinkos: Horror Mansion, The Omen, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Indiana Jones, Popeye, The Ring, The Grudge, Ghost Neo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My advice would be to put a price on a machine that you feel it is worth. There will be someone who feels the same way and others who won't, that's just the way it is in machine pricing. There is no set guideline for a machines worth. At one time, a lot of your machines were sought after, but with new machines coming every year with more contemporary themes. The sought after machines of the past are not sought after, so much.

I've always found that the machines theme may appeal to some and not others. Making "what's it's worth", difficult.

Personally, Tom and Jerry is the best machine on the list. If I owned it, $500 would be the bottom dollar.
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by acesparky77 View Post
    Thank you. I appreciate your reply. I must say that I'm a bit surprised at those numbers, but as I said I'm not in tune with these as I am with pinball machines. I realize that things do age, but man, way back when, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and Horror Mansion were highly sought after and commanded a lot more! Heck, I still think that Tom and Jerry beats any machine to date as far as sheer amount of toys and things going on. It is amazing!

Anyway, thanks again! Please keep the guesses coming, everyone!
    I sold a Looney Tunes cell recently, and a 007. I have a Lumina frame with lots of good cells, Julie Pinball, Star Wars, ect but they aren’t bringing as much as a few years ago. I’d put them on eBay with no reserve and see what the market says if you want to get top dollar; but don’t mind the troubles/risks of shipping one. UPS loves to bang up and break machines…

What was once the hot machine to get can lose its luster after a decade or so; since there’s constant improvements, newer models take the place of the once hot machine. Technology marches on. Also components on older machines fail much more often.

I bought my Cutie Honey for $200 and it was once the hot machine long long ago! I still enjoy it however; same with my Lumina.

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-Ooo View Post
    My advice would be to put a price on a machine that you feel it is worth. There will be someone who feels the same way and others who won't, that's just the way it is in machine pricing. There is no set guideline for a machines worth. At one time, a lot of your machines were sought after, but with new machines coming every year with more contemporary themes. The sought after machines of the past are not sought after, so much.

I've always found that the machines theme may appeal to some and not others. Making "what's it's worth", difficult.

Personally, Tom and Jerry is the best machine on the list. If I owned it, $500 would be the bottom dollar.
    Hi Wayne,

It's been a long time! Tom and Jerry and 3 of the others used to be yours. It's been several years, but I remember the trip to your house well.

Anyway, I appreciate the input!

9. The following user says "Thanks" to acesparky77

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    I sold a Looney Tunes cell recently, and a 007. I have a Lumina frame with lots of good cells, Julie Pinball, Star Wars, ect but they aren’t bringing as much as a few years ago. I’d put them on eBay with no reserve and see what the market says if you want to get top dollar; but don’t mind the troubles/risks of shipping one. UPS loves to bang up and break machines…

What was once the hot machine to get can lose its luster after a decade or so; since there’s constant improvements, newer models take the place of the once hot machine. Technology marches on. Also components on older machines fail much more often.

I bought my Cutie Honey for $200 and it was once the hot machine long long ago! I still enjoy it however; same with my Lumina.
    Gotcha. Thanks!

Definitely a MUCH different world than pinball. In pinball (at least in the last 10+ years) of the 20 years I've been collecting, pinball machines tend to retain their value if not increase in value. It's insane how the hobby has changed. Of course, there's a much bigger collector base there and it continues to explode, so plenty of hungry people to gobble up machines.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to acesparky77

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Gotcha. Thanks!

Definitely a MUCH different world than pinball. In pinball (at least in the last 10+ years) of the 20 years I've been collecting, pinball machines tend to retain their value if not increase in value. It's insane how the hobby has changed. Of course, there's a much bigger collector base there and it continues to explode, so plenty of hungry people to gobble up machines.
    It’s a mixed blessing the lower resale prices and steep depreciation rate; it means cheap machines for you and me! But certainly most are poor investment monetarily except for a few examples like how expensive Star Wars Battle of Vader 3D has gotten in recent years ($599 to over $2000) or certain arepachi or arrange ball machines from the 80’s-90’s; those are the only “investment grade” pachinkos to me. Pinball has priced me out… just virtual pinball for me due to the cost of getting into that hobby. A decent pinball is over $5000 and that buys a LOT of pachinkos!

I sold a New Weather Studio for a tidy profit but that one very rare and sells for a lot even in Japan.

13. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, pinball has gotten absolutely nuts. When I started collecting you could get a NIB game for well under $4000. Now, even the low end models are at least $2000 more than that for NIB, and they go WAY higher. I don't even want to talk about pricing on some that I have bought. It makes me sick.

As far as cheap pachinkos, I guess I haven't had much luck there. The last one I bought a few days ago from an online retailer was $1200 plus shipping, but no one else that I could ever find had one. I guess maybe I just have tastes in hard to find games.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, pinball has gotten absolutely nuts. When I started collecting you could get a NIB game for well under $4000. Now, even the low end models are at least $2000 more than that for NIB, and they go WAY higher. I don't even want to talk about pricing on some that I have bought. It makes me sick.

As far as cheap pachinkos, I guess I haven't had much luck there. The last one I bought a few days ago from an online retailer was $1200 plus shipping, but no one else that I could ever find had one. I guess maybe I just have tastes in hard to find games.
    JT Comatz has over 500 machines in stock, they have wholesale connections too; which allows them to locate hard to find machines; and can bid/buy on yahoo auctions for you!

I’m buying a 2019 Sankyo Mud Luv Total Eclipse from them for just $199 in their Black Friday sale right now actually. Group shipment via slow boat runs around $200 per machine to Charlotte NC, or $450 Fed Ex air.

While not too cheap; it’s a bargain! A parlor in Myrtle Beach went out of business a couple years ago and I bought 7 newish late model machines for $100 a piece! Now that’s CHEAP!

Or better yet, just show up at Compirate’s doorstep; he gave me a couple machines and cells for free!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You tell the kids, they should keep them, as they get older, they will like them more, and anytime they have a party, they will be played and talked about, and a way to remember you and what you enjoyed
    2018 Jaws 2 Panic Again 2016 Superman Limit Break 2016 Majestic Prince 2015 MaCross Frontier 2 2015 Castlevania 2015 Persona 4 2014 Star Wars 3 2013 Biohazard 2011 Kung Fu Panda 2009 Star Wars 2 Light 2009 MaCross Robotech

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Modification of a Vintage Pachinko machine

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BNRR1n57TP0
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by quester View Post
    You tell the kids, they should keep them, as they get older, they will like them more, and anytime they have a party, they will be played and talked about, and a way to remember you and what you enjoyed
    Of course I do hope that they do retain some of these things when I'm gone, but there is seriously a lot of stuff, so I guarantee that they can't take it all. The pinball machine collection alone is going to be overwhelming. Just wanted a bit of a value guideline on some of these since I'm not hugely active in this realm, and now I do have some sort of an idea. Thank you everyone so far for your input!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by takethecastle57 View Post
    Modification of a Vintage Pachinko machine

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BNRR1n57TP0
    I'm assuming that you meant to post this in another thread, but it was interesting. Ben is a sharp guy and does some neat stuff.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The value varies if sold locally (local market demand varies) vs online (with shipping available) and also how long one is willing to wait on their asking price. Motivated seller or not. So kind of hard to say without knowing those variables. Maybe try to sell one or two you don’t play much and get a feel for the local market?

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, he modified a vintage which I have quite a bit of them . I also have over 20 modern pachinko machines but my Relatives are in the Midwest and East coast and none of them are really interested in my machines .

What I have done in the past is offer my machines to fellow members here for a Adoption fee , usually $100 to $200 but only pick up at my place cause my days of packing and shipping my machines are in my past .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

22. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57