Thread: First Machine - Popeye

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default First Machine - Popeye

Well, I picked up my first machine, bicep popeye. The thing is ridiculously loud. I am after this heading over to RadioShack to pick up a couple of pots. It came with stand and paid $125, which I suppose is alright but don't know ifI can flip it and make money but that wasn't the point in getting it. The machine looks in order, which puts it ahead of too many of my arcade and pinball machine. ;p

Can someone explain what the heck is going on? I know I am trying to get to he center whole and that starts the slots. The G-O things on either side of it don't appear to do anything. The slots marked IN just appear to give me few balls if I hit the. I don't know what starts clips. Occasionally, I get things on the screen that turn into hearts when I hit the push button. what do the hearts do? Do any other buttons do anything? Why do some of the IN holes have pins so tightly around them that it is hard to put a ball in them by hand even? do people pull pins out or bend them?

Thanks all, my daughter is finding the whole thing nuts and my wife hates me for waking her from her nap.

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Prefect

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: First Machine - Popeye

There is sticky thread called pachinko glossary part 1 or something of the sort that will answer some of your basic questions about what the different pockets, gates, etc. do when a ball passes through. I don't have a Popeye machine, but I think they were very popular a few years ago and a quick search of the forum may help as well. You are correct that the primary goal is to hit the pocket in the lower center and start the reels spinning. Once you hit 3 of the same number the trap door will open and nearly every ball you shoot will go into the door and you'll end up winning about 2000 balls as you progress through various rounds. Each machine is a little different and I have found the best way to figure out what is going on is just to put it some time playing it. Of course I am sure someone that owns the same machine will come along and help provide more specifics. And a photo always helps as there may have been more than one Popeye machine built over the years. And before I forget, welcome to Pachitalk.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Prefect View Post

Can someone explain what the heck is going on? I know I am trying to get to he center whole and that starts the slots. The G-O things on either side of it don't appear to do anything. The slots marked IN just appear to give me few balls if I hit the. I don't know what starts clips. Occasionally, I get things on the screen that turn into hearts when I hit the push button. what do the hearts do? Do any other buttons do anything? Why do some of the IN holes have pins so tightly around them that it is hard to put a ball in them by hand even? do people pull pins out or bend them?

Thanks all, my daughter is finding the whole thing nuts and my wife hates me for waking her from her nap.
    Think I had that game at one time.

Not sure, maybe this video will help.

To answer some of your questions:
    You are correct, the goal is to get the pachinko ball in the various WIN pockets and eventually to get a FEVER.

The FEVER rounds last longer and reward more than the regular WIN or START pockets.

One can build up a maximum of four STARTS, that is what the hearts represent.

I don't remember the push button, but if the screen indicates to push a button, it is a mini game.

The other two buttons are to call an attendant or to dispense pachinko balls in the parlor. They are not functional unless you have a card reader dongle.

You can bend the pins, its more of an art than a science. I would save them if you pull them; tape them on the back of the machine somewhere.

The volume controls on eBay sometimes work better than the ones at radio shack but if your set up works, no worries.

5. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is a link given to me when I first started, there's a lot of info here that should help you. http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/loca...s.php?catid=65

popeye_pachinko.jpg
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

7. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo