Thread: Plastic Chrome, Rivets and Nails

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Plastic Chrome, Rivets and Nails

I can see that this project is going to take to time.

The first thing that grabbed me was that the chrome was plastic. Not awful but not in great shape and even though I am an electroplater, I have no idea what to do about this stuff not to mention that it has mushed studs being used as rivets to hold it onto the steel plates. I have no problem re-zincing all the screws and re-chroming all the potmetal and steel bits.

Second are the rivets themselves. so far I've found plastic, brass, copper and zinc plated steel. Has anyone got any ideas regarding the rivet replacements?

Third are the brass nails on the play field. It appears that there may be a few missing in an area in the corner. I see uniform holes but have not researched it extensively. Can any brass escutcheon pins of the appropriate length be used? I seee that some folks take them all out of the playing field and clean them. Do you glue them back in? Do you hammer them in a little deeper? I think this part of the restoration may be a little beyond my level at this point but I may as well ask whilst I think of the issues at hand.

Last question: Is it more common practice at Pachitalk to continue a single topic for an entire restoration or do you like to attack issues as new topics?

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Plastic Chrome, Rivets and Nails

First, take a deep breath and send us pictures. Second, don't take out the brass nails unless you need to replace the playing field. If you do, you can break off a toothpick inside the hole or something to give you a little bit more to grip to (if needed). As far as plating the plastic, there are several threads about how difficult it is to do, folks have tried everything from paint pens to modeling paint to silver leaf. If you search the threads, you might find something, there are some air brush paints that are really good. I have no idea on rivets, if you send pics, we may be able to help you more. As far as replacements, some of the folks on the site have extras, but I've used generic brass nails with no problem (usually found in the picture hanging area) they just don't have the twist on the bottom of the nail. No hard and fast rule about posting topics vs entire restorations, I personally like the entire restoration, but if you have a certain process/how-to, that will be easier to find when someone does a search, that works out too.

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ACMech

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Being an old Chrome plater myself the frame and metal parts are easy.. as for the plastic good luck to ya

if your in need of a few nails shoot me over a PM with your Addy and ill drop some in the mail to ya
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a terrible time with searches on forums. Tried "Chrome" "chrome + Plastic".. and several variations only to get a huge list of threads with those words somewhere within them. Most were vague references of the word. It's even worse with small words such as 'LED'..

Ultimately you have answered my question regarding the plastic chrome bits... very little if anything can be done.

With regard to the rivets, last night I started to take apart the loading tray thingy only to find that the hinge holders were riveted on and the zinc had gone all fuzzy . These rivets are very small and round headed so I don't want to use pop rivets. Then I noticed the yellow plastic ball supply/winnings hole (I think) is riveted on with a flush copper mushed rivet. Others are rusty steel and other materials. The disturbing ones are the plastic studs that hold the plastic chrome on from behind are mushed as well so I think trying to un-mush them is the best first idea, then cut and drill for a tiny screw would be a second idea assuming the plastic has enough length to accommodate the screw.

I left all these parts at work so will not be able to post photos until tomorrow.

Can I let the deep breath out now???
    Last edited by BigBadger; 02-22-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Does anyone know how the plastic is chromed originally? All of the chrome on cars, except the bumpers, is chromed plastic. There has to be a procedure to
    redo worn chromed plastic.
    Jerry
    PACHINKO, THE #1 DRUG!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's not impossible but it is really impractical for a local shop unless they very specifically indicate that they re-plate plastic parts. The process is much more designed to be done once, immediately at manufacture and replaced when broken.

Here are some links regarding the process. I looked into it yesterday and realized the futility of MY needs regarding the Pachinko machine

One thing of real importance - Every Plating shop I know of will state that they are not responsible for the part failing. If it fails it will likely not ever be useful. It's just par for the course, sometimes things fail miserably.

chrome plating plastic

Another link about plating Plastic/
    Last edited by BigBadger; 02-22-2011 at 02:54 PM.

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to BigBadger

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Chrome colored paint or silver leaf are about you're only options (at least the cheapest options )
    My favorite color is Ham

11. The following user says "Thanks" to BigBearSteve