Thread: Couldnt wait!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Couldnt wait!

I just installed the new Leds and removed the resistors as was all explained in the Photos in the Led thread in the bad center reel. As you can see the top LEDs are barely on and the middle 2 are still out. On the bottom row the right LED is the only one on and just faintly. The LED removal went very easy no forcing needed. The installation went easy as well so I dont think I damaged anything nor did I build up any heat into the board. I guess the board is just bad.

See how weak the top LEDs are?

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9...lctrpic7wq.jpg

Heres another view from the side.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8...nglenew9im.jpg

With the door closed.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4...ringwin1im.jpg

PP said that the new leds have been sent out hope that fixes the problem.
    Last edited by Eddie; 05-05-2006 at 06:18 PM.
    Led Zepplin

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Couldnt wait!

My Beast Sapp has the same problem, on my last visit to Gaku's he gave me a new board and I replaced it. That solved the problem for about a week then the new board's led came up with the same problem the old board had. What would cause this? my other 2 reels are still fine.
    "betcha can't have just one"

PachiFu "the way of the sphere"

ダン

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am assuming that its the board and that I didnt do any damage to it. The board is behaving just as it did with the old LEDs top 2 are weak, middle 2 are out, and bottom right is the only one lit and very week. Preety much same as before. Why would the top 2 be so weak when they are lit?
    Led Zepplin

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm thinking its a voltage issue or something similiar maybe.
    "betcha can't have just one"

PachiFu "the way of the sphere"

ダン

Thanks
    Thanks Received

check the ballast resistor for each it may have been the problem to begin with . also check the voltage across the circuit to see if all three branches are the same you should be able to do it by taking the reel out next to it to give you the room necessary to work .I really doubt its the board theres nothing that can really be damaged except the LEDs and the resistors .also try one of the other reels in the center spot that will prove if theres a voltage issue to that reel .the mod is a very simple one and unless you removed the wrong resistors or had damaged resistors or installed the led incorrectly they should be working .
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I dont have my volt meter handy will have to get it out of storage. How do I check the ballast resistors and where are they found? How do I check resistors never did it before? I took out the resistors that were removed in the forum thread pic by Fronzdan http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...561#post132561. I think I will switch out boards like you said to see if it may be the power source in the center reel. Thx for helping me with this. I guess your also helping the others whos reel LEDs will eventually go too.
    Led Zepplin

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the ballast or limiting resistor is the resistor on the board your working on the one you left intact .to check a resistor you need to unsolder one end of it (if you don't you may be reading a value through another component such as the diode)and place the meter on the resistance or ohm setting across the resistor and compare your reading to the resistors marked value (maybe color coded or stamped with a value )if you've never done this i suggest you get some one that has. a multimeter unless its auto-range can be hard to operate for the novice person with no experience .also the diodes must be placed in the proper polarity or they will not work or may become damaged .this is defiantly something left to a seasoned professional to do.to much heat from a soldering iron can also damage the diodes ,cold solder joints and such are also problems that are common to lack of experience etc etc ...... if you know someone with electronics experience slip em a couple bucks to do the job its an easy one if you've had a little experience.
    Last edited by alstonj1; 05-06-2006 at 05:12 AM.
    Jeff

11. The following user says "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

True about the electronics experience, its easy when you have done it. I have done tons of electrical work from motorcycle wire harness replacment, Trouble shooting of components and such but electronics is a field that I havent had much time with. Resisters ,Diodes,Capacitators etc
    Guess Ill have to pick up an electronics trouble shooting book to deal with Pachislo maintainance.
    Led Zepplin

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I took out the left reel board and put it into the center reel to check the power supply and it works just fine . Nice Bright LEDs.
    I will just have to wait to see what Pachinko Palace sends me and see if their replacement works.
    I havent had the chance to check the resistors on the bad board, but If I do find them to be bad has anyone found a vendor for them or are they available in a Radio Shack etc?
    Led Zepplin

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you should be able to find them at radio shack there 850 ohm 2 watt resistors . do you still have the resistors you removed to do the mod ? if so you might want to relace them with those it should prove if the resistor is blown .
    Jeff

17. The following user says "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

New Board just arrived from Pachinko Palace and what do you know the top 2 Leds were Green!
    I decided to replace all of the LEDs on the new board and remove the appropriate resistors. I figured, what did I have to lose? After all was said and done I now have a working board in the machine.
    I have learned to repair LED boards thx to everyones help.
    I decided to fix the original bad board and in the process I discovered that the dots on the LEDs were not in their proper allingment. After setting them right I have the top and botom rows working fine but the middle row is still out. Any suggestions about that?
    Led Zepplin

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I used a multimeter meter today and discoverd that the continuity between the 2 Middle LEDs is broken so the board tracing must be open. I will make a new tracing using a tracing pen and see if that finally fixes the problem.

The Radio Shacks in the city dont have resistors with the specs needed. The highest I saw ( If thats the proper term) was 400 ohms 1/2 watts. I will look online for vendors that will carry what is needed.

Now that I understand what is involved I will try to start making new boards from scratch.
    Led Zepplin

21. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

just solder a small jumper from one led to the other will be faster and easier ...as for the resistor use one of the ones removed from the other board there only 100 ohm less not a real led killer .
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by alstonj1
    just solder a small jumper from one led to the other will be faster and easier ...as for the resistor use one of the ones removed from the other board there only 100 ohm less not a real led killer .
    Thanks for all of your help. Unfortunatly The resistors from the working board were scrapped I didnt think to reuse old resistors.
    Led Zepplin

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Heres a link to some possibly better suited LEDs http://www.us.sunled.com/Default.asp
    Led Zepplin

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie