Thread: Hello all Requesting advice and assistance with Taco Slot, reel no stop issue.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Hello all Requesting advice and assistance with Taco Slot, reel no stop issue.

Hi Everyone! I'm obviously new to this forum and certainly new to the world of Pachislo machines! My wife and I have been wanting to buy a slot machine for some time and came across a Taco Slot 3 reel at Goodwill. Although I suspected there might be problems, we went ahead and picked it up at the excessive $149.00 price point. :-) At least the money goes to a good place! Regardless, we now own it and want to get it working. Any help is appreciated!

Overall, it seems clear that this unit was not reconditioned or serviced before removal from whatever far off Pachislo parlor it came from. It's a little grimy inside, ashtray dirty, coin handler dirty, coin unit (the one in the door) dirty'ish, mild corrosion, but otherwise working fine. There are slight signs of corrosion inside on exposed metal. There was slight corrosion found on a limited number of pins within some of the mainboard connectors, as indicated in the images below.

Issue: The unit seems fully operational with the exception of being unable to stop the reels. All controls other than the three stop buttons generate LED feedback on the mainboard. The three stop buttons themselves generate no output, which appears to be due to a blown fuse, and a replaced fuse that subsequently blew also. I have extras to work with from here but clearly they are blowing due to other bad components. Note that I am an electronics total novice. I can solder, but that's about it. A multimeter is on the way soon so that I can perform appropriate tests as needed.

Corrective actions I have attempted:

> Unplugged and reseated all main connectors into mainboard, mainboard to stop board, mainboard to reels, etc.
    - No change in behavior.

> Confirmed all connectors are properly seated.
    - No problems found.

> Deoxit was used on the connectors where corrosion was found.
    - No change in behavior.

> Changed fast blow 1A fuse on stop board.
    - Replacement fuse immediately blew.

> Pulled stop button unit and disassembled it. Found a fair amount of dust within. Cleaned that out. Sensors are now clean. Connector reseated, as you would expect.
    - No change in behavior.

Note that under no conditions does pressing any of the stop buttons result in an LED on the mainboard. I assume this is due to blown fuse on stop board.

My plans from here:

Having reviewed this board extensively, it appears that I must have a bad stop board. I tend to agree. Some posts indicated that I should consider changing the 1uF 50v tantalum cap at C10. I have ordered the necessary caps to change the four caps indicated by red mark in the image below. All appear to be related to the electrical feed to the board itself.
    C9 450uF 50v electrolytic axial cap.
    C10 1uF 50v tantalum cap.
    C11 47uF 10v electrolytic radial cap.
    C12 1uF 35v tantalum cap.

My questions:
    > Am I on the right track with my planned repairs? Considering the blown fuse on stop board, rather than buying a new one, is replacing the caps the correct next step?
    > I was unable to effectively rule out a problem with the stop button unit. Is there some way I can bypass the unit by shorting wires at the connector? (see image).
    > Is there a risk that the mainboard might be bad? It seems to operate perfectly (all functions are OK, just no stop until timeout) and does not seem like it would blow a fuse on the stop board anyway.
    > Do you have any other suggestions that might be helpful?

Here are the caps I want to replace on stop board, marked with red pointer.

For reference, this appears to be the map of lights on the mainboard. As previously mentioned all other controls on the unit result in light on mainboard, including while reels rotate, after stop, etc. Also, reset, odds adjustments, payout, etc., all work correctly.

Here is an image of the stop button connector. As I asked before, is there any way I can short leads on the connector to rule out a bad stop button unit (just want to be thorough).

Thank you all for any help you can offer! I greatly appreciate it and am really hopeful that we can repair this unit. We like it quite a lot.

Regards,
    ForgiveR

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ForgiveR