While drawing up ideas for building my next cabinet, I started thinking of ways to protect my cells that are stacked in the corner. As being in earthquake central, I figured it was not good to have them stacked and near looming Pachinko machines that could smash them. I decided on a small wooden box. I was thinking of lining the box with a rubber mat (like a thicker, springy mouse pad) with the pin side down. Then I got to thinking that the weight of the cell will start cutting into the mat over time and the pins might get bent or damaged. So now for help.

Is it better to store face up or face down? Face up will allow me to see which cell it is without having to take it outta the box, but I am worried if the electronics will not be able to handle the weight.

Should I have a soft cushy surface for protection or a ridged piece for more support? Right now I have them lying on cardboard to protect the face and am concerned about just laying them on wood with no protection.

I also thought of having a plastic sleeve on the out side of each box, so that I could put a picture of whatever cell I have stored for quick and easy searching.

Thanks all in advance for any help