Thread: Looking for laptop computer

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Looking for laptop computer

What should I be looking for in a notebook/laptop computer?
    Ether it be new or used. If new should I try to get the latest, fastest, most up to date and pay the price so I have it a long time. A cheaper one that I will need to replace in a short while. If used (most likely from ebay) what should I be looking for? What would be the minimum specs recommended new/used? Any member have something to sell? Would make do with something dated to get me started. Also what is the opinion on installed software on anything used? Especially the operating system. My normal computer guy is strait as an arrow when it comes to OS and software on a computer. Even though I paid for something I have on the home computer I am supposed to buy all new OS and software to go on any other computer I have. So what if I buy some used computer, I'm supposed to uninstall everything and start out from scratch?! I have windows XP,Some I have seen have windows XP Professional. If I am using this to back and forth between home computer and notebook should I be staying with the same OS for both? To give an example of what computer guy will sell me. DINOTE81 Mainstream Centrino Notebook.
    Standard configuration.
    Intel Duo T2300 1.66GHz Processor
    512MB Sodimm 533 DDR2 Ram
    80GB Hard Drive
    windows XP Professional
    $1253.00
    Upgrades Super multi drive 27.27
    Memory increase to 1GB Ram 81.82
    Hard drives 100 GB 41.91 120GB 64.78
    Upgrade processors 1.83 GHz 44.37 2.0GHz 106.58 2.16GHz 256.13
    Add software, I would need Word and who knows what else. I can't believe that anyone that has two or three computers has paid for separate programs of the OS,software they use, and anti virus. It would cost me a mint just to have everything I have on the home computer on the notebook. I might as well forget it then. The price would be just to much to have the use of a notebook. Any help in understanding what to look for would be great.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Looking for laptop computer

I would go for the newest out there, people selling used computers are supposed to refomat the hard drive before selling.

battery replacement is very expensive, so if you buy one used a lot you may have to buy new battery sooner.

Make sure it has over a gig to run vista.

all the major stores, like circuit, staples, office dept, best buy have good sales. I see a lot of decent ones for under a thousand dollars.

check the Dell website also.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The Computer rule i always use is

the bigger the numbers for the price you are willing to pay.

with the setup your quoting now i would say if you want something that will last you longer and have more future possibilities

is find a machine with a Core 2 Duo its the latest processor and it will be easier to put Vista on that etc.

Memory i would say minimum 1GB as software is just MEMORY hungry.

get the biggest Hard drive can.

I like HP brand laptops we use them here for most of our office needs

heres a link that will get you prices etc..

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...el=3&tab=specs

i chose this model and used the customized link and as you can see for yourself you can put together a much better deal then the one your getting with bigger processor memory etc at less then $1200

Just my 2 cents

IMHO

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Luckydog, Sid, is the Core 2 Duo Then different than what he has in the computer I quoted? Would I want that T2600, 2.16 GHz processor? His price will be higher no matter what but I always have to figure in service. He never charges me to answer computer questions and most time ill fix things without charging or will not charge much at all. Yesterday the computer went down. I tried everything I could. Then took it over, he had to go through almost every peace of hardware and board. Finally with just the monitor hooked up it was ether the power supply or the main board itself. Turned out to be the power supply. All in all about two + hours and the bill was only 50.00. Unfortunately I do have to look at price when it is a big ticket item. I was more trying to see how the notebook he would sell me stacked up to others and if it would pay to start off with used or cheaper for now. On his I could upgrade to 2GB Ram for 225.00.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Laz... here's the one I picked up on the Tuesday that Vista released:
    http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...TURED:SC3:CG71

I'm lovin' it so far! The 17" widescreen was worth it to me to pay a bit extra money, since it's got a cool little remote control that pops out to play media (DVDs, CDs, MP3s, photos, etc) in the Vista media center.
    It also has memory card readers, lots of USB ports, a firewire port (for digital camcorders), built in 802.11g wifi, and an S-video port to take the output to a different screen if I want. (Good for my projector!) I don't use it, but it also has a built in webcam and two microphones.

I never cared for AMD processors years ago... but this is my third computer with them, and never had a problem so far!!! This is a dual core AMD in this notebook.

Only thing I think I'll do to upgrade it is add more memory. Even though it came with a gigabyte of RAM, taking it out to 2GB will definitely improve performance. Vista EATS memory... it NEEDS memory to work right!

If you go with Vista, don't go with the basic home version... go with Home Premium. It will NEED a minimum of 1 gig of RAM to run.

On this notebook, the only thing I've found to be a waste for me was the Lightscribe drive... since I don't care to 'burn' my own labels on special discs that are more expensive. But hey... it was included, so... wtf.

BTW... I picked that up on "Vista Day" for $50 less than they are selling it for now. But I still think this one is a bargain.

To be honest, I don't care for the price that you've been quoted for what you'd be getting. Seems quite high to me.
    And also, I'm not even going to touch OS and other software "piracy" questions. Just because others might do it, doesn't make it right.
    You can pick up the new Office 'Home and Student' for around another $150 or so, and there's a trial already built into most new computers these days.

Hope that helped... good luck with your decision.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice computer, LP! I'm jealous!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

HP, Compaq & Dell for good support & service my 3 cents

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I personally never use a laptop and I've build all my desk tops. You might want to check these two web sights out. They generally have good deals.

www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com

What kind of computer you get truly depends on what you will be using it for. Example: My personal computer has a fast processor, good graphics card and lots of memory because I like to play video games. My wifes computer has a slow processor and average memory but has a good sound card because she mainly uses hers for e-mail and mp3 audio books.

Unless you need the best I wouldn't get the most powerful latest greatest thing out. Something I try to keep in mind when buying any computer stuff, if you can buy it then it is out of date already.

Hope this helps a little.
    Eric C.
    CRアクアパラダイスGP CRラッセンワールドMJ

9. The following user says "Thanks" to chmer01