Thread: single shot sophia's fixed up

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default single shot sophia's fixed up

almost finished with cleaning and fixing this old single shot.

fixes included

deep cleaning of the 1/4 inch of dust, grease, and some spattered food (yuck)
    making a rocker arm to link with the payout chute and reset the jackpot arm
    repainting the worn off silver areas
    soldering one wire back and cleaning off the leaf switches
    adding a 9 volt battery and replacing a light bulb (#50 from radio shack, thx sharmoni)

and, I added a couple LEDs by the payout seesaw, in parallel with the center light, to give a little more action to the cell... but no holes drilled.

last thing is to add feet. was going to make a case, but I decided that the wood on the old machine is nice looking already, and this type doesn't need a drawer or tray shelf below, since it recirculates balls back to the middle tray already.

thanks to everyone for helping along the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: single shot sophia's fixed up

Quote Originally Posted by mudfud View Post
    ...this type doesn't need a drawer or tray shelf below, since it recirculates balls back to the middle tray already.
    I have two Nishijins configured to feed themselves like this! As a home player I wish more designs had adopted this method, but I understand why not.

There is probably some sort of cleaning system for all balls paid out/played through all machines in a parlour. Balls handled by players might only circulate back into a machine as winnings after being carried away from a machine as lost/captured balls. They may pass through whatever cleaning system is in place, and then join clean-only balls supplied to jackpot bins throughout the parlour. That wouldn't eliminate any chance of an unclean ball getting into a machine, but it would make sure any balls touched by players only passed through machines once from the front tray through the works.

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to scotaku

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Your machine looks awesome!! I am preparing to restore a machine of this vintage and have been following your progress, as well as reading other threads related to machines of this design. I am highly encouraged!!

Thanks for the photos and for sharing all of your experiences!
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by scotaku View Post
    There is probably some sort of cleaning system for all balls paid out/played through all machines in a parlour. Balls handled by players might only circulate back into a machine as winnings after being carried away from a machine as lost/captured balls. They may pass through whatever cleaning system is in place, and then join clean-only balls supplied to jackpot bins throughout the parlour. That wouldn't eliminate any chance of an unclean ball getting into a machine, but it would make sure any balls touched by players only passed through machines once from the front tray through the works.
    On some vintage and mostly all modern machines, you'll notice that the tracks the balls run in have an open bottom or sides, this is to let debris pass through instead of building up. Certain portions of the ball handling system incorporate this also. There are ball cleaners (look like big washing machines), but I think these are used more in older parlors. The ball lifters in the parlors use belts about 6" wide pushing the balls against an edge to lift the balls and to clean them.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by scotaku View Post
    that's a great point about cleaning the balls, since we wouldn't want the germs from the last 50 people circulating. also, by not having a recirculation, the parlors can keep exact count of the balls in the win versus lost bucket.

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Germs from handling the balls is a concern in the parlors. I haven't seen a seller of parlor equipment yet that didn't have warm towel dispensers, hand driers and such. I'll have to look, but I think I have a picture of a parlor that has hand washing facilities along the wall behind a double aisle. Tokens also have a special washing/sanitizing machine, but not included in the circulating system.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

10. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For those of you whom haven't had the good fortune to visit Japan yet, I can tell you good health is a very large part of everyday Japanese life. The country is so densely populated that illness can spread quite easily from person to person. If/When you visit, you may notice Japanese walking around wearing what appear to be hospital masks like surgeons or nurses. This is just one outward sign that the wearer is sick and does not wish to share their germs with his/her neighbors.

There are other idiosyncrasies the Japanese exhibit in the name of good public health. The electronic toilet seats are infamous with automatic cleaners, bidet and dryer functions. Drinking or snacking on the go is taboo; vending machines will often feature integrated trash or recycling within the dispensers. Money is rarely exchanged from hand to hand but oh so politely via a small tray with a respectful bow from both parties.

Ugh... I'm waaay off topic now.

12. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to scotaku

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not at all.. thanks for the insight!

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."