Thread: Packaging Tips

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Packaging Tips

As a (25 year) UPS employee, I have some knowledge of what kinds of things can happen to packages. Pachislo machines weigh over 70 pounds, and are handled as an Overweight package. When shipping these, keep in mind that these will be loaded last in the trailer, on the deck, with 6 or 7 feet of packages stacked on top, depending if the box is standing up or laid on its side. Orientation arrows may help to keep the box upright, but that isn't always the case. The door seals on alot of trailers don't always keep rain and road spray away from the rear deck area, so always bag your machine with a plastic garbage type of bag.

The weight of these machines will subject them to crushing, by packages being stacked on top of them. Another potential damage to the machine would be being dropped, usually from 2 to 3 feet (I don't think many people could/would press this overhead and drop it) There is less liklihood of someone being able to "toss" this sort of package. Overweights come out of the trailer first, are placed on a short 4 foot slide, and placed on a cart, and pushed by hand to the appropriate belt. At my building overweight packages aren't put on long slides that would subject them to diverters and chutes. Other facilities handle overweights in a similar way.

I tell my customers that if you re-use a box and leave the original labels on, it's 50/50 that the package gets to the consignee, depending on which label a sorter / loader is looking at. Knowing the system, and shipping things myself, I always double box and use lots of bubble wrap, foam, or similar cushioning. Don't use styro peanuts, they will break down, leaving voids and create one huge mess. Remember that your package will be at the bottom of the UPS trailer, with packages on top of your box.

Use new or like new boxes, seal the box at every seam , and cover the tracking label and address label with tape. Overweight packages are frequently pushed/slid into position, abrasion is a given. Use enough tape, it's cheap and it helps to assure your box stays together and the label stays on. Scotch® brand packing tape is much better than the junk you get at the dollar store, use the good stuff. Don't use masking tape, electrical tape, first aid tape, etc. If by chance your label should come off the outside of the box, it is wise to enclose an additional label (or two!) inside the packaging, and/or affixed to the item being shipped.

UPS delivery methods don't ask for, require, or mandate a notation by the driver to note any damage to a box. This isn't a requirement, nor is there a need for this. If it makes you feel better, you can ask the driver to note in the remarks column, to key in "damage" or "open" or "crushed" etc. There is aprox. 15 characters that he can type in. Bare in mind UPS doesn't require this, ask for this notation, look at this, or even refer to this notation in the remarks column when processing a claim, this is simply for your peace of mind, nothing more. Also, if you live in a DR (driver release) area, a UPS driver can leave your package on the porch. A shipper can pay extra to require a signature on a package. That is done on the shipping end, and if you want to assure someone signs for the package, you must designate this on the shipping end. One way around this "signature required" cost would be to have your item shipped to a commercial/business address, where a signature is required for every delivery.

A good example of bullet proof packaging would be to those that have received machines from Gaku, his packaging is top notch!
    Last edited by Extrospec; 01-28-2006 at 12:18 PM.

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Extrospec

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wink Re: Packaging Tips

Short form of the above: we at UPS treat your package like sh** so package it well. If they could play football with your pachislo machine they would. All that I know is that when I get my machines shipped by Fedex they don't seem to come as beat up!! Just having fun with you UPS!! Your tips are helpful, I like putting another invoice inside of the box, just incase all the outside waybills get ripped off!

Cheers,
    James

Just when you think you've acomplished something!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Packaging Tips

The 3 machines I received from Gaku last week were sent via FedEx Ground. I was thrilled to see the nice condition of the 3 boxes. My son helped the FedEx girl bring the boxes to my garage after she came to the door and asked for help. Packages are handled by people, the amount of care and customer service is determined by each individual that handles your package. Kudos to FedEx Ground and Gaku.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Than again, I have to wonder why they put it on the truck of someone who had to ask for help in delivering the box to your home?
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wink Re: Packaging Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa
    Than again, I have to wonder why they put it on the truck of someone who had to ask for help in delivering the box to your home?

Ya I know what you mean, you think they could give those poor people a dolly! Everytime I get a delivery I have to go out with my dolly and pick it up, I guess if I did'nt have a dolly I'd just drag it along the ground, guess that would explain why the UPS boxes look so beat up!

Cheers,
    James

PS and some people wonder why I'd drive 5 hours to Cleavland to pick up a machine!!

Just when you think you've acomplished something!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got a Fed Ex guy that usually delivers here that is built like Beast Sapp! He just picks it up out of the truck and brings it to my door!
    My UPS guy uses a dolly, but he finds me at work (which is a few miles away) and makes sure I know when it's gonna be there before he delivers the big boxes. The little ones he just gives them to me on the spot.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

They still need a prayer, when shipping any large box out. And I go the extra mile and a half on packing.
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"