Thread: Giga Fever review posted in Museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Giga Fever review posted in Museum

http://www.pachitalk.com/4images/det...2c62c3a8bd2c08

Warning: Reading this reveiw may be harmful to your perception of Giga Fever.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Giga Fever review posted in Museum

You're tough, pfurman! Guess you weren't all that crazy about it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with the play not being as good as DDK, But not many machines are as good. I think its better than Mephisto though. The Lights on the Giga Fever are amazing though. The Constantly Changing Many Colors make it a keeper for me. I havent hit the Giga Bonus either myself. Mike : )
    - Owner Video Game Connection -
    -" ATARI 2600 to NINTENDO SWITCH “-

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have hit Giga Fever and I'm hard pressed to say if I like the DDK more or not. Both machines have things that I like about them. (To put things in perspective, Giga Fever has a lot more going for it than just the lights, imo.)

That said, in this household, DDK does get more play than the Giga Fever from newcomers.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slotter
    You're tough, pfurman! Guess you weren't all that crazy about it.
    Yes. And no. (I like to think of myself as tough, but fair.)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'll have to disagree with the Giga Fever vs. DDK. I found DDK to be VERY boring and couldn't beleive the lights weren't used on the DDK. The game play itself on the Giga Fever isn't a 10, but I did find it much more entertaining than DDK, and there are unusual features with the 4th reel slowing and speeding up and just having the unique 4th reel that I found to make it better than DDK.

Interesting you take on the reel graphics.

But heh that is what this forum is for! For us to give our opinions and I for one appreciate your review!
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by David R.
    I'll have to disagree with the Giga Fever vs. DDK. I found DDK to be VERY boring and couldn't beleive the lights weren't used on the DDK. The game play itself on the Giga Fever isn't a 10, but I did find it much more entertaining than DDK, and there are unusual features with the 4th reel slowing and speeding up and just having the unique 4th reel that I found to make it better than DDK.

Interesting you take on the reel graphics.

But heh that is what this forum is for! For us to give our opinions and I for one appreciate your review!
    Kewl. That is what these types of forums are all about.

With regard to the reels, to begin with, DDK has WIDE reels, whereas GF has more narrow ones to accommodate the 4th reel. And the graphics on the GF are not nearly as bright or dynamic as the graphics on the DDK.

And as far as I'm concerned, the interactive extra 3 reels on DDK are much more interesting than the 4th reel on GF. There is this cool thing where it goes back and forth, along with a voice, that announces, I believe, "Bonus/Chance/Bonus/Chance", along with a novel rocking back and forth after it aligns for a bonus or Don Don Chance round. On the other hand I just have not been able to make heads or tails out of the play of that 4th reel on GF. It makes no sense to me and is not interesting to me. For example, one time I got 4 7's straight across, which should have resulted in a "GIGA Bonus". But despite the fact that there were 4 7's showing, I did not win a Giga Bonus. So it left me with a disjointed feel for the game and it really diminished the whole experience.

I also don't think there's any comparison between the music on the 2 machines, with DDK clearly coming out ahead. But as the old expression goes...Different strokes for different folks. What I like about this board is being able to express my opinions...as well as read other people's opinions...about the different machines.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

8. The following user says "Thanks" to pfurman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You have to admit though, they dropped the ball on not using the Giga Fever attract mode on DDK. What were they thinking??? Those lights are awesome! I guess it's a programming and not wiring thing.
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by David R.
    You have to admit though, they dropped the ball on not using the Giga Fever attract mode on DDK. What were they thinking??? Those lights are awesome! I guess it's a programming and not wiring thing.
    Could you please detail the "attract" mode? I can see that the lights are more interesting on GF, but I've always found the upper 3 sets of reels on DDK so interesting I never cared all that much about the lights, since they're still pretty impressive in their own right. But other than some brief flashes, I can't say I can pick out any other particular behaviors related to an "attract" mode, but I always like to learn.

Also: I don't know exactly how this could have made a difference, but we just received a replacement for the original GF that I reviewed, and for some reason I like this one better. The first one came in with regular black paint, and the one we ordered was described as being laminated, so they picked up the old one and sent us this one. I do like the look of the laminated cabinet, although I also miss having the handles. But there was nothing mechanically wrong with the first one, so I can't see how there'd be any real difference.The buttons seem to have a more solid feel, the music seems louder/better (although I know I had the volume settings set the same way), and the play seems more interesting. (Maybe it's just that compared to Dracula 600, ANYTHING would seem like an improvement. Heheheh. I guarantee I will NEVER change my position on that machine.) I don't know. But I did want to post that I am finding this GF better than the first one/first time around, although I still prefer DDK.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The "attract mode" is what is used to describe the way the machines flash and do other such things to attract another player when they are sitting idle.

I really like the Giga Fever and was playing it today with you your review in mind, Pfurman. The buttons on mine are solid feeling and the music is good, too. Yes, the DDK has some interesting reel action, but the GF also has its good points and fun play. Perhaps, your first machine did have some issues?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slotter
    The "attract mode" is what is used to describe the way the machines flash and do other such things to attract another player when they are sitting idle.

I really like the Giga Fever and was playing it today with you your review in mind, Pfurman. The buttons on mine are solid feeling and the music is good, too. Yes, the DDK has some interesting reel action, but the GF also has its good points and fun play. Perhaps, your first machine did have some issues?
    With regard to the buttons, probably. The music seems REALLY loud (but now that I'm the "Syscom Volume Control Soldering Queen", I'll just toss in some controls and then n/p) compared to the first one, and I double checked that it was on the lowest setting, and it was. Maybe the first one had a speaker disconnected or something.

But, as far as the reels go, take a good look at the reels on GF, compared to virtually any other machine. It's the ONLY machine we have with matte finished reels. Every other machine has nice, shiny, high gloss reels. THAT is the reason, although I didn't know it specifically at the time, that I found the reels on GF to be not nearly as eye-catching as on DDK. On other machines, I can see the shine on their reels from across the room. The reels on GF are like non-glare glass in a photo frame - it just kills the depth of the graphics, and for me the look of the reels is very important, since I'm looking directly at them during game play. I'll give you the attract mode on GF, as well as the light display during a bonus round, but you gotta give me the "dull reels issue".

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've just been playing my GF. I agree about the reels, the matte finish does take away from the looks. Lights are better than DDK. I'm still on the fence about the 4th reel, it's definitely not what I expected.