Thread: Pachislo Tranformer question

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Pachislo Tranformer question

Hello Guys,

Have a machine where I just noticed that the transformer (24v) is buzzing
    and was wondering to this is normal ?

I have other machine with transformers and they dont buzzz, it seems
    to buzz wheather its powered on or off (but plugged in).

..is this something I should beware of ?
    thnx

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pachislo Tranformer question

i think its normal some of mine do this.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to RKnarr01

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Put it on a power strip and shut off the power strip when you aren't playing.

It may be heating up if it has power to it all the time.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I also run all of my machines off of power strips.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for the Feedback and Yes I do have all my
    machines on power strips, always safer for comp and other
    electronics to be on stips and shut them off when not in use.

thnx again

Thanks
    Thanks Received

unless you installed a switch on the machine before the transformer the transformer is always hot (working ) while plugged in .dosent matter if the machine is drawing power or not the transformer will draw current . basicly its a resistor and it has a power source and will operate untill the source is lifted (unless your using a power strip and turn off the strip). if you have a power supply in your machine then a switch is already before the transformer (yes virgina , there is a transformer in a power supply ) if you switch off power on the supply it cuts the power to the transformer . transformers over time do break down thermal insulation like every other thing man made they will die or short out so i recomend putting a fuse in line on the primary (110v side) on your transformer if your putting in your own .or using a power strip with its own breaker .as for the noise it could be a few things including a dieing transformer but first id check to see its mounted down tight that can cause a buzz or vibration . if you remove the screws lift the transformer onto a rubber pad and the buzz goes away you might want to put a coushion under the transformer and remount it .just make sure its not gonna melt or combust under heat good luck
    Jeff

8. The following user says "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default How big is too big :)

Speaking of transformers... Here's a picture of the "normal" pachislo transformer next to the monster that I have gotten in some of my machines lately

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7...parison5rc.jpg

Other than the physical size and weight issues, do you see any down side to the big one?
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ
    Spin-Luck , Dragon Dice , Super BlackJack, King Camel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, the little one is 5 amps and the big one is 9000 milliamperes or 9 amps. Some of the newer machines really do need more than 5 amps to run without problems or overheating.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well the bigger one is a 9 amp and the smaller one is a 5 amp. Now, nothing on that pachislo is going to draw 9 amps so what you have is a lot of over kill.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A clean shot is always best. We don't want any wounded Pachis
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I believe Arby always installs at least a 6 amp transformer -- nothing less.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A 9 amp is over kill but alot of these newer models with LCD Screens draw alot of current. I'll be if he runs his on all the time the tranformer does not even get luke warm. Your most current draw that happens is when the machine is in a payout mode and even worse a bonus round where its at top pay out mode. You have to consider besides the reels moving and the normal lights the extra lights (which are all over the place are flashing and other normally dormant ones are now activated) The token hopper is now working as well. So the current demand goes up. The 5 amp transformers just can't take it over a long time and will heat up to the point of being untouchable (touchable if you like to get burned LOL!). I highly recommend a 7 amp to do the job of a LCD screen model. You know your safe. A 9 amp (to me is even better). Its just insurance that your machine is not going get damaged. I am in the Electronics field and I have seen some crazy things. One of the first machines I bought had a 3.25 amp transformer in it (Speed Racer). At times the machine would do some pretty crazy things. It would light up payout mode items on the front glass for no reason and then lock up. The LCD screen would sometimes go corrupt and it would need a hard boot to reset the machine. Reels would stall or not engage at times.. There was just not enough umph coming from the Transformer to run all the goodies on the machine. All in all the changed the transformer over and now it runs great. It would also not hurt to put in a fuse on the power cord (Just incase).

Tony

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Guess the dealer really cares about his customers or got a really good deal on 9 amp transformers. Though it would not suprise me as the machines get more bells and lights and bigger LCDs that 9 amp becomes the norm and not the exception.

Cheers,
    James

Just when you think you've acomplished something!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

this is a no brainer if given the choice go for the 9 amp one . the reason is quite simple a transformer is only going to use what the game demands of it and the larger transformer will remain cool and collected which means a lot when you consider that heat is a very bad thing when you talk about transformers .over loaded transformers get into a spiral the hotter it gets the less resistance the more current draw ,the more it gets hotter and around and around till melt down. when in doubt go larger and stay cool ....... by the way the rating is the max output not the output all the time so dont expect it to draw 9.0 amp on the secondary all the time or anytime for that matter unless your machine is a power hog and just for fyi this transformer should only draw about 216 watts max on the primary or about around 2.0 amps on your wall socket under max load conditions ( 9 amps x 24 volts =216 watts secondary or machine side of transformer) (216 watts / 110 volts = 1.963 amp on primary or wall socket) these are the highest possible ratings you'll never get that high in normal usage (with out overloading it )so your actual draw may show much less.
    Last edited by alstonj1; 03-20-2006 at 11:31 AM.
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The only downside of the big one is it can be a little hard on the case during shipping.....

The only machine I've had misbehave with a 5-amp tranformer was Destroyer, and that was with about 12 machines plugged into the same 50 ft extension cord. I have a feeling the 120 side was dropping closer to 100 and 24v was dropping too low causing current to climb above 5 amps on reel startup. Most of the LCD machine I've had in the past were 100V machines, but some of the newer ones are 24V with the BIG transformer
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ
    Spin-Luck , Dragon Dice , Super BlackJack, King Camel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

properly mounted it shouldnt be a problem but held in with one wood screw is a major problem . thats a vendor issue and a case of pay me now or pay me later in damage costs....

well lets see 12 machines running at the same time at full load 2.0 amps a piece thats 24 amps under extreme conditions .......more likely your playing one not in full load more like little over an amp load and the rest in attract mode rating +or- .5 amp so were talking around 6.5 amp load at the time give or take an amp. the extension was probably undersized (16 Ga. wire not 12 Ga.)and also electricians nightmare plugged into a power strip no doubt ......there by causing a voltage drop also .......

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa
    Well the bigger one is a 9 amp and the smaller one is a 5 amp. Now, nothing on that pachislo is going to draw 9 amps so what you have is a lot of over kill.

hey Tulsa back in the day they use to say you wouldnt need that 20 meg hard drive either nobody could use that much space ......... Dells being sold now using terabyte drives !!!!! "The more they add to the plumbing (bells and whistles ) the easier it is to stop up the drain". (the more power consumed )
    Last edited by alstonj1; 03-20-2006 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

While I agree with your premise Alston, it's not that relavent in this conversation. If it simply came with the machine and you're not buying it to add, very nice indeed. If you're considering buying this, you're simply wasting your money as you can power one of these units safely for a lot less money out of your pocket.

Now tomorrows machines may differ, but it's not tomorrow yet.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

as the original message said "Here's a picture of the "normal" pachislo transformer next to the monster that I have gotten in some of my machines lately "so he got it with the machine . if your getting it for free go first class and enjoy the air conditioning and stay cool......
    Jeff

21. The following user says "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by vespacar
    Guess the dealer really cares about his customers or got a really good deal on 9 amp transformers. Though it would not suprise me as the machines get more bells and lights and bigger LCDs that 9 amp becomes the norm and not the exception.

Cheers,
    James
    First off JAMES I am not a dealer. Just someone that wats to be of help. Can I deal in these YES do I want to? Yes.. However I will respect the wishes of the Moderators. Outright saying I am a dealer is an insult and not right to assume so. You know what that say about a person that assumes something right?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Umm Speed? I do believe that James was refering to the post with the pics. Where cwstnsko was talking about the 9Amps he has gotten in his machines.
    Nowhere in James post are you mentioned.
    You know what that say about a person that assumes something right?
    OK, Just checkin.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

24. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Lddrizzt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast