Thread: Power requirements?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Power requirements?

I'm building out my unfinished basement and will be putting in a game room area. If I intend to house a few (wink, wink) pachislos, what should I tell the electrician to do when I setup this room?

Do I need a good bit of power to run 6-10 pachislos and some other things (maybe 2 arcade games, 2 pinball machines and a pachinko or two)?

Maybe a few different circuits? Is typical home wiring 10amp circuits? Should I go for bigger circuits?

I don't know much at all about this stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Power requirements?

I run 12 pachislo/pachinkos off of two regular outlets in my bedroom and its fine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Your electrician can give you an idea based on the power requirements of each machine but what I would suggest is put in plenty of outlets and run them from switches. This will make it so much easier to turn and off machines.
    Never met a Pachi I didn't like!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think typical home wiring today is 20 or 30 amp circuits.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

mostly 20 amp some 30 amp for camper hookups and home welders , 15 and 20 is the norm ,kitchin and heavy load areas all 20 , rest 15 in most wall outlets , thats a lot and can run most anyones collection
    These are my opinions and no body elses and you can't have them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My house is about half 20 amp for just lighting, but have about half 30 amp for office and TV areas that might have use for additional outlets and appliances.

I still occassionally lose a breaker, though. My laser printer and the the ceramic floor heaters along with computers, lights, ham radio, etc. all at the same time will pop the 30 amp breaker here in the office.

Most new homes have the ability to handle more appliances, etc. 200 amp total service is about minimum now and if I were building today, I'd get a 300 amp total house.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I run 15 amp on all my regular lines.

I had 10 amp and changed them all to 15's when I moved in.

I
    I never had a breaker kick off
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Anytime you run electric heaters or a sizable window A/C unit you run the risk of tripping a breaker if you are running other things on the same line.

The line may be fine but they throw a big draw on the line when the termostats kick the heating or cooling elements on.

So if you plan on electric heaters in your basement, have a 20 amp line installed just for that.

(Ask Mark if you don't believe me.)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think most house wiring is like this. Areas that have a high demand of electricity like a kitchen has two separate circuits for outlets. With the outlets being 20 amp. Then dedicated stuff like fridge and microwave have there own so when they start up and draw a lot of electricity at once they don't affect anything else in the room. Lighting is different. It does not take much and does not draw a lot when you turn on a light, so they will combine multiple areas lighting into one circuit. Rooms of lower expectation of large power needs like bedrooms they will combine on one circuit. If this circuit breaker trips then possible say two bedrooms will lose power to the outlets but the lighting will stay on because it is on a separate circuit. Now for this game room. The electrician will probably figure at least two separate circuits for the outlets. Here again I would recommend 20 amp. They will probably be alternated with every other one or at least some on one wall being on the one circuit and the others on another circuit. Here is ware you personally want will have to be decided. The machines individually do not take a lot of power during normal play, but when they go into bonus they suddenly draw more. One or two machines plugged in together in an outlet then maybe the same on a different wall but plugged into an outlet on the second circuit is fine. Now have say a whole bank of machines all plugged into a power strip, then plugged into the outlet and they are being played, with two or more going into bonus. Is there anything else plugged into the same circuit using power? If so you may trip the breaker. It may not hurt to put in an extra circuit to this room, spread out the power usage. Then there is how you want to turn on these machines. With a power strip? I would put no more than four on a power strip even though it has additional spaces and it is supposed to handle more. Make sure you know what plugs are on what circuit. Have the electrician make a diagram for you, and I personally like the alternating of the outlet circuits. It costs more and the electrician may not like to do it(More work). This setup will work with almost any way you plan to use this room in the future. Now if you are really serious about a lot of games(Pin ball, Pachislo, pachinko, and arcade games) then you may want to plan out in what areas they will be in and instead of plugging them all into just one outlet and turning them on with a power strip, I would consider switched outlets. Usually One plug in the outlet is power all the time and the other is turned on with a switch. This way when you come into the room you can turn on only the bank of machines you want to play. Less mess of wires around. There have bean threads of how much power the machines take in normal play and then in bonus play. Try to find thoughts and show it to the electrician and he then can get closer to how much total power at peak the room may use to determine number of circuits and amps they need to be. It is always better to go bigger with number of circuits and size wire to use in them, when you are putting them in. It is a real hassle to upgrade later! The size of the breaker is different. Better to go with less amps. A breaker that is to big in amps may not trip in time. If a breaker is tripping allot, find out Wye! Not just put in a bigger breaker. One last note. Not all home circuit panels and breakers are made equal. There is a big difference between what is considered homeowners brand and the professional. They can be made buy the same company but to different standards. I like SqaureD brand. This is professional. They make a lesser homeowner version that is cheaper with a different name on it. It is garbage! The store will say its just as good, but trust the professionals, they will say different! This is all my opinion. I am not an electrician, but I have and do a good amount of work on my own home. I ask the professional what I should do then pay then to inspect my work. A good electrician will work with you and want above all to make sure you did it right, not just look at they are not making as much as if they got to do all the work. I am not responsible for using anything I have said without checking with a professional first. Good luck with your project.