Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Important Please Read!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Important Please Read!

This may be interesting for UK users....

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/j...ansformers.asp

I think I may order one just in case.

Cheers

Cris.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

LP.

Are you saying that this is not hurting the rest of the maschine ?
    Normal use by anyone ?
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with logicprobe on this one.

Recall that when AutoSlot was seeking info about the credit add functions of different machines, some of us had to measure voltages through various parts of the machines (coin mech, stop board, etc.).

I measured all five of my machines at that time. All voltages were dead on for where I was measuring (24V, 12V, 5V DC). Also, if you look at the full schematic of the reel stop board that compirate pointed out a while back, it has a voltage regulator circuit just for that board right on it. So I would assume the other componets have regulated supplies as well.

So considering that DC voltages throughout the machine are correct, I agree that the regulators are taking the brunt of the overvoltage. That is, after all, what regulators are for; they keep voltage constant regardless of the incoming power (up to a point of course).

Finally, if memory serves, when regulators do eventually fry for whatever reason, they leave an open circuit so the electronics on the other side of them (i.e., most of the other insides of the machine) are protected.

cmk

P.S. - I'd never seen this before so I just had to use it. It's not applicable, but I thought it was cute.
    7 Pachislos, 1 vintage Pachinko; ask about 'em.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So My concern in finding this 30+ volts off the transformers is not really a problem to be worried about on pachislots. Is this true also on Pachinkos ?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I no longer have a modern pachinko to test, so I can't be 100% sure. However, I'm guessing that if they put regulated power supplies in the pachislots, then they do it in pachinkos too. But that's just a guess.

If someone with some electronics knowlege has a pachinko, it's pretty easy to find out, though, so maybe one of them will have a good answer.

And, by the way, you're not wrong Arby. The unit is designed to run on a certain input voltage. You ARE causing wear. But only on a very specific part of the electronics, not the whole machine's electronics. It's just those regulators that would heat up and eventually fail because of the overheating. But that would take a LONG time unless they use really crappy regulators. Everything on the other side of the regulators (i.e., the guts of the machine electronics) should be just fine.

cmk
    7 Pachislos, 1 vintage Pachinko; ask about 'em.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool, I didn't what to be "chicken little here", not having the training in the electrical field, and just enough know to hurt myself I was concerned.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee
    Cool, I didn't what to be "chicken little here", not having the training in the electrical field, and just enough know to hurt myself I was concerned.
    Secret number one to not hurt yerself:
    Unplug the machine before you fiddle around inside.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

cool, but how to check voltage when off ?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee
    cool, but how to check voltage when off ?
    thats easy...

Step one:

go to power outlet

Step Two:
    lightly moisten finger with tounge

Step Three:
    Proceed to put pinger in power outlet

at this moment you should receive a slight shock..
    in the event that you are able to get up again.. you did it wrong. go back to step one until you succeed in not getting up again..

sorry i couldnt resist....

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When I do that I see the woman of mt dreams

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Off topic, but cmk have you done a review of 27 yet? I want to know more about it (no reviews in the museum yet).
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Way to go David.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I do have a limited electronics background, but I agree with Arby on this one. I have got a pachinko directly from japan and am getting set to get another one. Common sense dictates that you should change out the transformer. Most of my pachinko's I have dont have regulated power supplies. They all just have the standard AMERICAN transformer attached to them. Nothing special. I just got a space battleship yamato from japan and it too has the standard transformer. I have to change it out, but I also havent plugged it in yet either. Transformers dont regulate output. they just step it up or down according to its rating. So if you bump UP the voltage going in, your going to bump up the voltage going out. My 2 cents..

Fixx
    FOUND: Dirty Pair Pachinko.. Thanks Compirate and Arby!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Fix you get my email ?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mr. fixx
    I do have a limited electronics background, but I agree with Arby on this one. I have got a pachinko directly from japan and am getting set to get another one. Common sense dictates that you should change out the transformer. Most of my pachinko's I have dont have regulated power supplies. They all just have the standard AMERICAN transformer attached to them. Nothing special. I just got a space battleship yamato from japan and it too has the standard transformer. I have to change it out, but I also havent plugged it in yet either. Transformers dont regulate output. they just step it up or down according to its rating. So if you bump UP the voltage going in, your going to bump up the voltage going out. My 2 cents..

Fixx
    OK... if you're getting a pachinko with a transformer directly from Japan, with a 4 to 1 stepdown transformer that they would install for use in THEIR homes (100v to 24v), then yes... change it to one of the American 24v (roughly 5 to 1 stepdown... 120v to 24v).
    By doing that, you will certainly take the stress off of the regulators.
    That much is given... indeed, "common sense", as Fixx says.

Granted, transformers don't regulate. This has been kicked around before, and there was some confusion as to the difference between a transformer, and a POWER SUPPLY. A transformer is part of a power supply. It converts incoming AC to a lower AC in this case... then it's up to the rest of the power supply (or supplies) to rectify (convert to DC), filter (smooth the waveform - remove ripple), and finally regulate. The rest of the power supply (after the transformer) is in there somewhere... it has to be.
    And as was mentioned, many boards in these machines have their OWN regulators for extra assurance... beyond what a power supply may provide.

IF the regulators are designed properly, output DC will be held constant.

So let's back up, and ask another question. Are these voltages that you're seeing at the output of a transformer that came from Japan? I wouldn't doubt it. 4 to 1 stepdown would give you right around the voltage you're seeing. (1/4th of 120 is 30)

But pachinko machines being resold here in the US get different transformers installed. In fact, they come to importers without any transformers (if ordered by the container), right? So, I would HOPE that importers are using the proper stepdown ratio on the transformers they install.

That leads to another question...
    Are there importers that are having the transformers for pachinkos installed in Japan before they are sent? If so... and they're re-selling them just like that in the American market... find one with a good, LONG warranty.
    The regulators that have to work harder, will live shorter lives.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

logicprobe -><- me
    me -><- logicprobe
    logicprobe -><- me

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I made some voltage measurements on my Beast Sapp. I put a VARIAC (Variable autotransformer) on the input to vary the machine's input voltage from 100 to 120 volts. There was no change in the 24 volt power supply, it kept a steady 24.05 volts. Therefore the voltage regulators were doing their job. The voltage on the lights did not change...therefore, I don't think plugging the machine into 120 volts vs. 100V makes any difference on bulb life (on this machine).

I did the same on my King Camel (It has a separate 24V transformer). On this machine, the 24 volt line did vary as I changed the input voltage (24Volts out at 120Volts in and 18Volts out at 100Volts in.) I've made measurements on Sammy machines before and they have very crappy power supplies, as far as voltage regulation and ripple are concerned.) On this machine, you do want the 120volt input, to give the 24volt output.

Bottom line...at least for these two brands...plug into normal household voltage and enjoy! You are not hurting a thing.
    autoslot

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Arbycoffee --> <-- logicprobe
    logicprobe --> <-- Arbycoffee
    Arbycoffee --> <-- logicprobe

logicprobe --> <-- Arbycoffee
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would fall a sleep[ and spill beer in my lap, well I tell everyone it is beer

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wasn't the original question:
    On the pachislot machines (100v systems) I am not sure if there is a transformer that takes 120v input and 100v output to run them correctly.
    I checked my incoming voltage and it was during all test 120.07v to 12.09v.
    So this is a problem we should be addressing, I think.

In other words, on the machines that have 100v systems, there is not really a problem. Right? Again, I've run the heck out of my 100v Harley and have had zero problems. I think this is a non-issue on these machines as mentioned in earlier posts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast