Thread: Error Code E1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Error Code E1

Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can help. My Aladdin Evolution 2 has started throwing an E1 error code when it's first turned on. If I do a hard reset, the code disappears and it plays perfectly. When playing, hopper delivers the correct amount of tokens and appears to be working fine. I've taken the hopper apart a few times and everything mechanical seems to work as it should. I also took apart the power supply to see if I could spot any obvious problems. I've checked every connection and they seemed to be seated okay. The hopper sensors both have the same part number so I switched them around but it made no difference. They also have 5v available at their connections.

Here's a step by step of what happens:
    1. Turn on power.
    2. E1 code shows immediately.
    3. Do a hard reset and everything works fine. Hopper works and produces as it should.
    4. After that hard reset, if I turn off the machine, wait a few seconds and turn it back on there is no error code or; after that hard reset, if I turn off the machine, wait 15 minutes and turn it back on there is an error code E1.

Thanks
    CollinP
    Last edited by CollinP; 11-24-2023 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typo

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Error Code E1

Sounds like the memory storage capacitor has reached the end of its life, if the only change of state is power off for 15 minutes.
    I would probably play the machine constantly for 2 hours. including keeping teh credits topped up to 50 (yes its a pain as you have to add a few after each spin) also just eject the credits every so often to make sure all is still counting correctly.
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Drunkenclam,
    This is great! It's like getting a doctor's note to say "have fun for two hours". If my wife tries to disturb me I'm going to show her your post. LOL

Just wondering what might a 2 hour play do? and, if the memory storage capacitor on the way out should it be replaced now? If it should be replaced do you know where it might be located?

The other thing that happened this afternoon is; I left the machine on after a 1/2 hour play. The LED's were at 00 00 when I left. When I returned (about an hour later) it was showing the E1 error. No one had touched it and there was no power loss in the house. So it looks like E1 is also setting at idle.

Cheers and thanks.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to CollinP

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's like the early cartridge games that had a mini super capacitor that keep game saves and scores . Ahh the good old late 1980's when a 800 MB hdd was close to $1k

I remember when I got a used 1.6 GB hdd back in the 1990's I thought that was really cool.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If it does it when constantly powered. forget what I first said Start with the basics of clean the ir sensors. then if that fails. look at replacing them.
    Ian #UKPachinko

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Drunkenclam. Too late! I played the machine for 2 hours yesterday afternoon, never letting it get below the 50 tokens. The games and payouts were flawless. I had a great time. It still produced E1 at "power on" but it didn't error at idle. I left it on and alone for about 6 hours and it remained at 00 00. I don't know if that was connected to the extended playtime. I'll check it at idle again today and, if it doesn't error out... I'll take it. Thanks for that.

I did look at the two sensors (Home and Token Count) before I initially posted. Both are receiving 5v+. I did voltage in/out tests but they were inconclusive. I needed more hands. Because they're the same part number, I also switched them around, hoping that I may get a different error code (if one was faulty)... but it was still E1. I am going to follow your advice and replace those two sensors as they're readily available and not costly.
    Thanks again. I'll post the results once I replace the Home and Token Count sensors.
    CollinP

10. The following user says "Thanks" to CollinP

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just an update on the E1 error code. I replaced both hopper sensors but the error code still sets at power on (only). I'm looking at the power supply unit now. I noticed that the Zener Diode on D14 looked burnt and it basically disintergrated when I touched it. I thought I'd hit gold however, after removing it completey, I powered up the board and found zero volts across the two pin holes. I have to order the diode from Amazon so I'll continue once I install it.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to CollinP

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good luck
    If you can. Please provide a picture of said component and location to assist others in the future.
    Ian #UKPachinko

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Error Code E1... RESOLVED

A final update on the E1 error code on my Sammy Aladdin II Evolution. I'm no expert on this stuff and solving this was unquestionably through the advice I received from Drunkenclam and takethecastle57. Many thanks to both. All I want to do here is outline the steps I took in combination with their advice.

Symptoms:
    The E1 code appeared when powering on only.
    After a hard reset; the machine would show 00 00 and play perfectly. All lights, sounds, game plays and token deliveries were exactly as they should be.

After the hard reset; if the machine was turned off and then immediately back on, the E1 code would not appear and the normal 00 00 would show, indicating the machine was ready for play.

However, if the machine was turned off for 15+ minutes and then turned on, the E1 code would set again.

Actions:
    I checked as many general connections as possible.

I disassembled the hopper, cleaned and lightly lubricated where necessary. No mechanical issues were found. I checked the input/output voltages on the home position and coin count sensors. The test results were inconclusive so I replaced both. For $6 each I figured it wouldn't hurt. This did nothing to resolve the E1 code issue.

I disassembled the power supply unit and checked all connections and LED's for correct function. I did a careful visual check of the PSU board and discovered a defective (burnt out) zener diode on terminals D14. (see attached image). The diode turned to glass powder as soon as I touched it. Tracing it's circuit lead me to the 8 pin hopper connections. Although the D14 zener diode is (for some reason) integrated into the hopper circuitry, replacing it did not resolve the E1 code issue.

I came across a unit called a "supercapacitor" on the PSU. Also known as a supercap or an ultracapacitor. (see attached image). Until that time I was under the impression these units were located only on the Motherboard. Posts made by Drunkenclam and takethecastle57 made mention that this unit could be the issue. I checked the supercap voltage and found it at 0.3v, which seemed low. I tried charging it by connecting it to the machine and leaving it on for 2+ hours but the readings never went above 0.3v.

I replaced the $6 supercapacitor and the E1 code disappeared after the first hard reset, and has not returned. A memory issue for sure and resolved by forum members.
    Thanks again.

Zener Diode Value: 6v
    Supercap Value: 5.5v, 0.1 uF
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to CollinP

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well done. Thanks for the update. I think the zenor diode protects the machine if it gets a current overload. Although it normally causes a short and blows a fuse.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yay!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."