Thread: Questions about my first Pachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Questions about my first Pachinko

Today I found a Pachinko at a thrift store! I know nothing about them, but I bought it and I hope to get it cleaned up and working. As a complete beginner, I have a lot of questions that I hope you guys can help me with, since I've never owned or played one. Pics are attached, but if any additional or closer up ones are needed to answer any questions, I'm happy to provide them.

1. What can you tell me about this machine? I looked at this doc, and mine looks most like the 1964 image. This isn't too important, but I'd like to learn more about it!
    2. Is there anything I should know about cleaning it (looks like it was stored in a garage or shed of some sort), apart from what's in the cleaning tips thread? Will I need a key for the front in order to properly clean it or get it working?
    3. Are there any parts that seem to be broken or missing, and if so where can I find replacements?
    4. How many balls do I need, and where should I buy them? There seems to be three balls in there already, stuck somewhere in the middle (shown in second pic), but I assume that's not enough.
    5. As far as I know, electricity is not required for anything but the lights, but if I wanted to get the lights working, how would I do that?
    6. Anything else I should know/ask/research/buy/take pictures of?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to hujiba

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Questions about my first Pachinko

WELCOME!!!

Hopefully one of the vintage experts will be by soon to help you with your questions!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks! Since posting this, I've actually answered a lot of my own questions already! I've opened up the front, gotten the dust and dirt off of everything, followed a YouTube video to make sure it was set up right, retrieved the balls, lost the balls again, ordered 500 balls online, and got most of the lights working on a 9v battery. I'd love to still get some help with the lights though, so I'll post a more detailed reply about that tomorrow! I'm excited to get this machine fully working!

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to hujiba

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

and biscuits

And photos of spider egg cases or other cool stuff ?
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

8. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh god thankfully not. Just some leaves and cobwebs and maybe some dead spiders.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to hujiba

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hujiba View Post
    I'd love to still get some help with the lights though, so I'll post a more detailed reply about that tomorrow!
    I've been able to get the top light and middle lights working (well, only one of the three middle lights actually works, but I don't mind), but the bottom light is what I haven't been able to figure out (circled in the pic). The bulb is fine (I tested it by wiring the battery directly) and I've reflowed most of the solder joints just to be sure, so I'm guessing it isn't turning on just because whatever leaf switch controls it is not pressed. I would press it manually like I did with the others, but I can't find the leaf switch! I'm assuming the wires I traced in the photo are what lead to it, but I think the switch is hidden behind something I'd need to disassemble to access. If I had some balls already, I would just play around with it until something happens. Should I just wait until I have the balls, or is there a good way I can test the switch now?

12. The following user says "Thanks" to hujiba

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I looked at the pictures in your earlier post, I think that light may be part of the jackpot, so it should come on with the center light. When you test the leaf switch to the right of it in your post above, does the center jackpot light come on?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by sparky kilowatt View Post
    When you test the leaf switch to the right of it in your post above, does the center jackpot light come on?
    Nope, only the center light comes on. It does seem like it should come on with the center, based on this video of a similar machine. I can check all the connections to try and see where the problem is. (and in case anyone notices the disconnected wire to the center light in my initial post, I fixed that)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hujiba View Post
    Nope, only the center light comes on. It does seem like it should come on with the center, based on this video of a similar machine. I can check all the connections to try and see where the problem is. (and in case anyone notices the disconnected wire to the center light in my initial post, I fixed that)
    Sounds like you're close to figuring it out, it's either bad connections, bad lamp socket or bad wire.

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to sparky kilowatt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sounds like you guys are talking about the light for when there are simultaneous wins and a ball gets kicked out. There's a separate leaf switch buried behind the seesaw. Check out a Dan video for a better explanation. https://youtu.be/ZBh3eotimiU?si=pViwgECSrYyAD114

18. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Bowl987

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Bowl987 View Post
    Sounds like you guys are talking about the light for when there are simultaneous wins and a ball gets kicked out. There's a separate leaf switch buried behind the seesaw.
    Yep, forgot to reply before but I looked closer and there's definitely a second switch for this light. I'll wait until I get the balls to see if it works, since I don't want to do any more disassembly than necessary. I really appreciate the help here, and I'll be back if I have any more questions!

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to hujiba

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You have a single shot (one ball at a time feed) in pretty nice condition for it's age like 1950's era .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

22. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looka like you have 3 lights, 1 jackpot/win, another for the ball out up top and my favorite, the extra win ball garage light. If the lights don't light up try just moving the sockets base lead a little till you see a spark of light etc.

24. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Silverballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Automotive body work sand paper 1000 or 2000 grit folded to clean the leaf contacts .

26. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Bowl987 View Post
    Sounds like you guys are talking about the light for when there are simultaneous wins and a ball gets kicked out. There's a separate leaf switch buried behind the seesaw. Check out a Dan video for a better explanation. https://youtu.be/ZBh3eotimiU?si=pViwgECSrYyAD114
    Good catch, now that I've zoomed in closer, I do see yellow & black wires going down below / behind where another switch must be hiding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to sparky kilowatt