Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First model A purchase ideas needed

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default First model A purchase ideas needed

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak02 View Post
    I hope no one is offended that this will be a modified machine and not restored to original. My interest in this project is to do something that I can call my own. I have always enjoyed the process more than the finished product. My Cobra kept me occupied for four years. Now it sits in the garage and might see 200 miles a year. All four of my EM pinball machines kept me busy for one to two years while being restored. I play them several times a week, but honestly I enjoyed the project more than playing them. I suspect this model A will be the same. I’m excited to start the learning process and doing the best I can. Keep the ideas coming.
    Don’t let the “keep it original” purist haters change you mind, it’s your machine to do what you please with; not theirs!

Now I could see that perspective if it were some rare, historically significant model; but it’s not, it’s a dime a dozen model A from the 70s. Kinda like it would be sacrilege to LS/Coyote swap an original Shelby Cobra; nobody thinks twice about modifying a replica Cobra to whatever drivetrain or mods they want. I’m sure some purists don’t like my Austin Healey mkIII 3000 roadster has electronic distributor, non factory paint color, and Toyota Supra 5spd conversion but fact is it’s a better drivers car and looks better too! Not to mention faster/lighter. To each their own…. “Patina” is overrated in my opinion!

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: First model A purchase ideas needed

I know which of the below playfields catches my eye more... Don't feel bad, my flower power playfield was less faded than yours!

IMG_2005.jpg

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, don't worry about making a machine your own!! There are people that would never do a custom or may not personally like them, but the only way doing a custom vs a restoration would genuinely upset (sane) people would be if the machine was super old or super rare!!

Like said above, there are just so many basic vintages here, just have fun!!

Now if you were in Japan they might think you were nuts because there seem to be so few vintages left there!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

6. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak02 View Post
    This is a picture of the last playfield I repainted. It is from 1959. It’s not a faithful restoration since I had to guess on the colors and fudged on fonts for the letters. A purist will say I ruined it. They’re right, but I had fun.
    Actual genuine restoration talent Bravo! It's refreshing when I see someone who does their own meticulous painting instead of stickers.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to rockston

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2