Thread: Repair & Power Supply Options Sansei E.T. Pachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Repair & Power Supply Options Sansei E.T. Pachinko

MZWHa.jpg
    Hi everyone, hoping someone here can help, i recently picked up this dead E.T. pachinko machine for just £40, i knew it was dead but at that price couldn't resist, especially when it became clear the owner had tried to use UK mains and inevitably blown the poor thing to bits so had a good idea where i mkight find the fault.

On getting it home and taking a look inside it soon became clear that a number of components on its (presumably) power distribution board had been killed but it looks like the damage was contained to that area (good engineering)
    5Q1J6.jpg
    I'm currently in the process of identifying all the components in this area so i can replace them (any help here would be appreciated though its not what i'm here for specifically) but opnce i've got that done i was to ensure i don't repeat the mistake of its previous owner...
    Jncz2.jpg
    When i first picked it up i assumed it ran on 100V Japanese mains and as the previous owner had killed it by hooking it up to 240v UK mains, i planned to use my stepdown after repairing it to avoid this... however i then notied the "AC 24V 180VA" markings on one of the clear plastic casings (you can just see it in the above photo actually) and after looking around on here i see that most of these machines use 24V (presumably the pachinko parlour runs this directly to the board in the top right which seems to be where all the connections come in, before sending it off to the power board area in the bottom left?? i guess this is to keep the installation in the parlour neat)
    Whats confusing me here though is that clearly someone has fitted a 2 prong Japanese/American plug as you can see. but without a transformer (which i can't see anywhere unless they converted the main power board maybe?) this would obviously kill the machine every time?
    I assume that once i've repaired it i need to find a 240v to 24v (how many amps?) transformer but i've looked around online and have no idea what i'll need, in an ideal world it would be something like a laptop supply where i have a UK plug on one end and then can just wire it in to the top? (or could i wire it directly into the power board if this is just a passthrough?)

Sorry there's so many questions here everyone, this was a very random purchase for me out of curiosity and i lack any knowledge on these machines. any help at all is greatly appreciated. thanks for your time.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Repair & Power Supply Options Sansei E.T. Pachinko

They all come with a 2 prong plug; but need 24v as you mention. Parlor transformers have a standard 2 plug outlet. 10amp should be sufficient. With 240v (10 times the intended voltage!!!) I’d be concerned what else got fried that’s not obvious!

Good luck replacing the components!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Normally it’s a good idea to clearly label the plug 24v to prevent such mishaps. But I guess somebody found out the hard way!

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/d1081663340

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

yep. basically all pachinko machines run at 24vac. So a 240-24 v transformer would be required. for a machine of this age. Unless you can see otherwise an 8A (200va) rating would be suitable.
    RS components are Farnells is probably the best source. Its where I get mine from.
    The parlour systems are all set up with the standard two prong connector, so all pachinko machines are supplied to said parlour with a standard 2 prong plug. because for them its not an issue. although a lot of mine when they turn up have an old sticker on the lead by the plug thats states its 24v.
    again a lot of machines seem to go to a connector on the top LH corner before running down to some where else. It might just be a hang up from the vintage machines that had their power connectors there.
    I'm guessing in that rear picture. you have removed something, because there is a lot of wires not going anywhere.

your blown diode is probably similar or same spec as this one.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tvs-diodes/6381608
    Ian #UKPachinko

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    Normally it’s a good idea to clearly label the plug 24v to prevent such mishaps. But I guess somebody found out the hard way!

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/d1081663340
    Not much help in the UK, as it will output nearer 50v
    Ian #UKPachinko

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam