Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let’s discuss realistic prices for a model A

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Let’s discuss realistic prices for a model A

Wayne Ooo has inspired me to try a custom model A. I’ve been looking on Craigslist and Facebook for machines near Tampa to modify. They all seem to have rusty frames for the glass as well as water stained playfields. To say they are dirty is a given. Asking price goes from $150 to $300. I can’t imagine anyone putting these in their game room without a full refurb. Could be just my thing. What is a realistic price for a model A that hasn’t been refurbished, but is complete?

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Silverstreak02

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Let’s discuss realistic prices for a model A

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak02 View Post
    Wayne Ooo has inspired me to try a custom model A. I’ve been looking on Craigslist and Facebook for machines near Tampa to modify. They all seem to have rusty frames for the glass as well as water stained playfields. To say they are dirty is a given. Asking price goes from $150 to $300. I can’t imagine anyone putting these in their game room without a full refurb. Could be just my thing. What is a realistic price for a model A that hasn’t been refurbished, but is complete?
    You need to consider that these are not sold at any store with competitive pricing like tvs. Realistic doesn't apply. There are probably more sitting idle in basements and garages then set up by serious owners. You can get one for free when you are at the right place at the right time or you can be up in Anchorage and have to pay $500 to have one shipped in. Just keep looking around your area for one. Sometimes they show up at Goodwill for $25. There is no normal, pick a budget and stick with it. Don't let anyone tell you what it's worth. That's your decision.

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak02 View Post
    Asking prices are kind of pie in the sky as far as I'm concerned, almost everybody thinks they have something "rare" it seems. I've paid between $75 & $100 for complete, functioning machines, water stains, dirt, grime & some rust are the norm. The selection isn't the greatest, I've been fortunate to have found a couple unique ones, I don't see any "rare" ones around, but they're still a lot of fun.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to sparky kilowatt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The least I’ve paid is $20 for one semi local; around an hour away. That was filthy/ugly but complete; motivated seller though! I also once paid over $100 for a nicer shape one on eBay after not wanting to wait months for one to pop up locally… so depends too much on the local market and how long you are willing to wait it out. Average though; $50ish.

Now I’ve got 3 recyclers, all restored, I’m not really looking for more and certainly not pay more off eBay. Too many factors to consider! How bad you want it, how impatient or patient are you, how cheap are you, how rich are you, how long are you willing to drive, how much do you trust UPS not to bash it up in transit if shipped, how big is your collection already, how common are they in your region, how special/rare is the center feature, and last but not least condition, condition, condition!

8. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    The least I’ve paid is $20 for one semi local; around an hour away. That was filthy/ugly but complete; motivated seller though! I also once paid over $100 for a nicer shape one on eBay after not wanting to wait months for one to pop up locally… so depends too much on the local market and how long you are willing to wait it out. Average though; $50ish.

Now I’ve got 3 recyclers, all restored, I’m not really looking for more and certainly not pay more off eBay. Too many factors to consider! How bad you want it, how impatient or patient are you, how cheap are you, how rich are you, how long are you willing to drive, how much do you trust UPS not to bash it up in transit if shipped, how big is your collection already, how common are they in your region, how special/rare is the center feature, and last but not least condition, condition, condition!

Most of the things you claim affect price in reality have nothing whatsoever to do with it. In 90% of all my purchases of pachinko and pachislo machines, The seller knew next to nothing about them. I was the expert. The rarity, center feature, make model, number of tulips, condition was not an issue. They had some idea of what they wanted for it, that's all. Most didn't know if it worked or not. Buying is a skill too no matter what you are buying.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by rockston View Post
    Most of the things you claim affect price in reality have nothing whatsoever to do with it. In 90% of all my purchases of pachinko and pachislo machines, The seller knew next to nothing about them. I was the expert. The rarity, center feature, make model, number of tulips, condition was not an issue. They had some idea of what they wanted for it, that's all. Most didn't know if it worked or not. Buying is a skill too no matter what you are buying.
    Lol, it’s worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it… all those factors are relevant in my opinion whether you disagree or not! Anybody can make one “work” with a little effort if it’s complete, no broken parts. There’s no complicated electronic parts to deal with.

I takes 2 parties to agree on value; not just what a seller claims or asks for it…

Negotiation skill is also a major factor!

What has worked for me, is message the seller with a sky high asking price is; you’d love to restore their old machine; but it’s priced above market value. If it doesn’t sell in a month or two please message me and I’ll gladly pay X amount of dollars and fix it up so it can be played and enjoyed again!

Most people get tired of waiting and want it to go to somebody who can use/enjoy it instead of lying around their Attic/basement/garage.

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, it's not like there is a "Blue Book" price guide for vintage pachinko machines. It's just a matter of opinion on pricing.

Really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
    A realistic price is what YOU​ feel comfortable paying for it.
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Area will also have a massive impact on price.
    Here in Southern Ontario, $200 to $300 is pretty much the norm, when they show up for sale.
    If I drive four hours across the border into Michigan, I can find them for under $100 fairly regularly.

I'd love to get my hands on a beater that I wouldn't feel bad about reskinning. Wayne's customs are inspirational and have me wishing I could do one as well.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's the correct answer of course Wayne.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's the correct answer of course Wayne.
    Haha, opinions are like ********; everybody’s got one! I totally agree, so not sure you’re trying to debate about anyone else’s answer…

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Haha, opinions are like ********; everybody’s got one! I totally agree, so not sure you’re trying to debate about anyone else’s answer…
    Do we need to go there? The "price" someone else wants for their particular machine is not your or my opinion and it's not based on your opinion about what the machine is worth lol. In other words, the factors that would affect your price if you were selling it are pretty much irrelevant to any given random seller. You can use your opinion of what the machine is worth only to make your decisions on what you will pay. They do not affect price. Like I said most of the sellers out their are not collectors. That was my point The thread is about "price"

19. The following user says "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do we need to go there? The "price" someone else wants for their particular machine is not your or my opinion and it's not based on your opinion about what the machine is worth lol. In other words, the factors that would affect your price if you were selling it are pretty much irrelevant to any given random seller. You can use your opinion of what the machine is worth only to make your decisions on what you will pay. They do not affect price. Like I said most of the sellers out their are not collectors. That was my point The thread is about "price"
    As I stated, it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay.

What do you say it’s worth?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It’s never the deal you get it deal you think you get..
    I bought my first pachinko for $25 in 2008, rusted and stained got it working and had a lot of fun
    Well worth The price!
    DON'T FEED THE

22. The following user says "Thanks" to ebb

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Let’s discuss realistic prices for a model A

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    It’s never the deal you get it deal you think you get..
    I bought my first pachinko for $25 in 2008, rusted and stained got it working and had a lot of fun
    Well worth The price!
    I agree, my first “Spring Jet” phalic Model A only cost $20, seller was ready to see it gone!

It cleaned up nice and is now one of may favorites since was my first restoration. The cheap price was an added bonus!

What some people here don’t seem to understand is there can be many “prices” for the same machine; what the original poster is referring to the average BID price from a BUYER’s perspective that’s a reasonable/realistic price to pay without “overpaying”, not the ASK price from a sellers perspective Rockston is fixated on for whatever reason, that’s a moot point in the context of this thread, just like buying stocks/commodities/pachinkos whatever prices/markets are in constant flux with many factors to consider, there’s a huge spread (difference in the bid/ask) on these machines as you don’t just go to Walmart and buy a new Model A… they range from free to several hundred dollars on secondary markets. It’s all arbitrary numbers; there’s no black and white answer here; but many shades of grey! As with many aspects of life! If seller wants to play hardball and refuse to budge on their pie in the sky price, just move along to the next one!

Somebody can start their own thread about “ask” prices from the sellers perspective…

The key to negotiations is skillfully and tactfully finding that sweet spot where both the buyer and seller meet in the middle and nobody feels ripped off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree, my first “Spring Jet” phalic Model A only cost $20, seller was ready to see it gone!

It cleaned up nice and is now one of may favorites since was my first restoration. The cheap price was an added bonus!

What some people here don’t seem to understand is there can be many “prices” for the same machine; what the original poster is referring to the average BID price from a BUYER’s perspective that’s a reasonable/realistic price to pay without “overpaying”, not the ASK price from a sellers perspective Rockston is fixated on for whatever reason, that’s a moot point in the context of this thread, just like buying stocks/commodities/pachinkos whatever prices/markets are in constant flux with many factors to consider, there’s a huge spread (difference in the bid/ask) on these machines as you don’t just go to Walmart and buy a new Model A… they range from free to several hundred dollars on secondary markets. It’s all arbitrary numbers; there’s no black and white answer here; but many shades of grey! As with many aspects of life! If seller wants to play hardball and refuse to budge on their pie in the sky price, just move along to the next one!

Somebody can start their own thread about “ask” prices from the sellers perspective…

The key to negotiations is skillfully and tactfully finding that sweet spot where both the buyer and seller meet in the middle and nobody feels ripped off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For only $20 I'd say that was one heck of a bargain, particularly with what I'd consider a rarely seen center attraction.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to sparky kilowatt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"As I stated, it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay."

Value is determined by a bell curve. A pachinko machine, or anything else is most certainly NOT automatically worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That's an old expression that cannot possibly be true. If that were true, then it would be impossible for anyone to ever underpay or overpay for goods. This is all basic common sense and I have no idea why anyone would argue with it but go right ahead!
    Last edited by rockston; 03-12-2023 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"As I stated, it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay."

Value is determined by a bell curve. A pachinko machine, or anything else is most certainly NOT automatically worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That's an old expression that cannot possibly be true. If that were true, then it would be impossible for anyone to ever underpay or overpay for goods. This is all basic common sense and I have no idea why anyone would argue with it but go right ahead!
    How many model As have you bought and sold Mr. “expert”?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How many model As have you bought and sold Mr. “expert”?
    That would be my business now, not yours. BTW, when I said I was an expert, it was jokingly in comparison to the vast majority of sellers I have bought from who admittingly "knew nothing about what they were selling" Care to address that quote of yours and explain?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That would be my business now, not yours. BTW, when I said I was an expert, it was jokingly in comparison to the vast majority of sellers I have bought from who admittingly "knew nothing about what they were selling" Care to address that quote of yours and explain?
    So none… lol. Give it a rest dude, you are beating a dead horse at this point!

I’m done responding to your smarta$$…

You obviously aren’t going to understand my perspective since you already made up your mind about some imaginary bell curve deciding prices when the price the BUYER is willing to pay (or not) is up to them and nobody else!!

Another point the OP should consider is the art of the trade; which has nothing to do with “bell curves” I once bought 3 machines for $100; I really only wanted the one with 11 tulips; the other 2 were just part of a mandatory package deal, but both were oddball manufactureres. Not your dime a dozen Nishijins. So made a post that I was looking to trade my oddball with a spaceship center feature to someone local that happened to have the generic “snowflake” Model A that was ugly and water stained but complete. A straight up trade was quickly struck! It was a win win scenario as we both got what we wanted, specifically I got another model A for $33 net cost to me for my restoration hobby. Not to mention I sold them the other oddball for $60 so really my net cost was only $20 of the original $100 paid for 3 machines.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I hope you calm down enough to re-read all of this, some of what you are saying now I pretty much said in my opening post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast