Thread: New got a free 'sort of works' Sankyo Fever Downtown Pachinko machine.. nonfunc

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New got a free 'sort of works' Sankyo Fever Downtown Pachinko machine.. nonfunc

Hello Pachi peeps!

My first post here. I was given a free pachinko machine , it seems to be Sankyo Fever Downtown? or something similar to that? I dont know much about these machines, but I have some electronics background (mod old video game consoles). Anyways it had a sticky note that said 'mostly works'.. That was a lie.. it has problems a plenty. I've been searching for a few hours, Cant find any manuals or service docs. There doesn't seem to be any available here for new users. So I figure I'd introduce and ask here. (hopefully it's acceptable).

Details about the machine.

When the power switch is off, but i plug it in, After about 3 seconds the front red/green lights in the frame (not in the glass) turn on and i get beep beep... beep beep... beep beep, forever.
    On the small digit readout (i suspect error code) there is a 2. I swear at first this used to be a 7, but when i put balls in, it has changed to a 2. I've tried to do a google translate on the plastic cover piece error codes and it looks like a 2 is 'grey cable issue' or something. I've tried unplugging and re-plugging any grey cables i can find. I tested the grey ribbon cable pin for pin with a MM and it is not appearing faulty.

If i turn the power switch on, the beeping stops, and the red/green frame lights go out, and a few red lights on the actual play field behind the glass come on. Also the small tv turns on with a straight line through the middle (collapsed?) but then after 10-30 seconds, the screen kind of 'comes on' but gives an effect similar to a tv that has lost vertical hold? But I suspect its not actually that and will be fully dead soon. (pictures below)

The ball launcher knob thing does absolutely nothing. This isn't too surprising as if the game is stuck in an error mode I'm sure it wouldn't enable this untill its functioning. I have no clue what else it could be. I'm not sure i want to drop money into it, as these machines dont seem very valuable/costly (i see them going for 50 bucks all the time?). but if its just a little fix it work I dont mind doing it. .(although I hesitate with CRT's cuz the bigger ones can kill if you're not careful, not sure about these smaller ones).

Any advice or tips? Or is there any kind of manual?

IMG_20230218_195754.jpgIMG_20230218_195858.jpgIMG_20230218_195730.jpgIMG_20230218_200805.jpgIMG_20230218_202247.jpg

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Elecy

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New got a free 'sort of works' Sankyo Fever Downtown Pachinko machine.. non

WELCOME!!!

Sorry I'm not much help.. I have no clue what that 2 error is, hopefully someone who does will be along soon!!

I can't see a dongle on the back, the shooter knob won't work without a dongle usually!!

Have you tried a reset..hold in the reset button (under the 2) while turning on the machine and keep holding it for a bit after..sometimes there's a beep..

And I'm definitely no help with CRTs!! A few members have fixed, replaced and even replaced with an LCD.. So not all hope is lost..

There may be a frame manual somewhere in the world, but generally no manuals around since these were meant for the trash within 4 years!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New got a free 'sort of works' Sankyo Fever Downtown Pachinko machine.. non

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The errors being presented match what I'd expect without a dongle attached.
    Looking at the photo, it doesn't appear to have anything connected.
    Could be as simple as plugging in a dongle and running with it.

missingdongle.jpg
    Last edited by UncleToyBox; 02-19-2023 at 11:09 AM. Reason: wonky issue with pasted image.

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to UncleToyBox

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by UncleToyBox View Post
    The errors being presented match what I'd expect without a dongle attached.
    Looking at the photo, it doesn't appear to have anything connected.
    Could be as simple as plugging in a dongle and running with it.

missingdongle.jpg
    Good eye, however I have the same exact machine, it doesn't require one to work.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I haven't tried a reset yet as I didnt know how (I just pushed the button below the 2 and held it for like 5 seconds and it seemed like it 'rebooted' but did the same thing... ? Maybe i'm remembering incorrectly?..

Rockston, Your machine works fine? could you do me a favor and unplug your grey ribbon cable and tell me if you get an error 2 at that point? It's possible the google translate of the Japanese could be wrong and it has nothing to do with a grey cable?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unplugged it and it triggered an audio alarm with Japanese banter. Plugged it back in and worked normally. no reset was needed. Never saw an error code.

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by rockston View Post
    Unplugged it and it triggered an audio alarm with Japanese banter. Plugged it back in and worked normally. no reset was needed. Never saw an error code.
    Oh wow yours talks to you? interesting.. I only get 'beep beep' over and over again. Thank you for that help.. That makes me think the translation may be wrong and it's something else.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good eye, however I have the same exact machine, it doesn't require one to work.
    Every CR machine I own needs a dongle to shoot. (And I’ve got A LOT of them! ) Are you sure yours isn’t the cash version?

Anyhow, can hurt anything to test plugging one in!

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have one CR Nishijin that doesn't need a dongle (and a few others with the same frame have said the same) and it hasn't been blobbed that I could ever see..Still works with a Daverob Dongle though..

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Check the door alarm switch. There are quite a few early moderns that don't need a dongle.
    Ian #UKPachinko

19. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You know what, this is your first machine and we failed to start at the beginning looking for the quick fix. You should take every single connector in the machine apart, inspect it for bent or missing pins spray it with electronics cleaner and then snap it back together. My guess is you may just have a bad connection. Peteybob, a member here, has the same exact machine as well but has been MIA. Hope he is OK. The entire machine breaks down into modules with a Phillips head screwdriver and snap fittings. Good time to clean ball paths and buried dirt while you do it. All the connectors are unique so it only goes back together 1 way.

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Check the door alarm switch. There are quite a few early moderns that don't need a dongle.
    Thanks for this, Where would i find that switch? i tried to open the door but didnt see any obvious switches.. just the latches (it's a heavy door too, wanted to fall over as i was opening it).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Elecy View Post
    Thanks for this, Where would i find that switch? i tried to open the door but didnt see any obvious switches.. just the latches (it's a heavy door too, wanted to fall over as i was opening it).
    To open just the front door, Push this yellow tab down yours may not be yellow. door.jpg

24. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

To open just the front door, Push this yellow tab down yours may not be yellow. door.jpg
    gotcha.. I got just the glass opened, there was a black little push switch on the left side.. pushing it in and out and holding it in had no effect on the error 2 or beeping.

At this point if i try to sell it for parts.. whats reasonable? 50 bucks?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Elecy View Post
    gotcha.. I got just the glass opened, there was a black little push switch on the left side.. pushing it in and out and holding it in had no effect on the error 2 or beeping.

At this point if i try to sell it for parts.. whats reasonable? 50 bucks?
    I bought one locally that works for $30. Before you give up. Did you take it completely apart and clean and reseat all the connections like I recommended? That probably has about a 50% chance of bringing it back to life believe it or not. I believe others here will attest. Persistence is the key to success.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I took off the box in the middle that had cables going to it blew it out.. and put it back and replugged it., and unplugged and replugged most cables all around the machine.. nothing seem to make any difference..