Thread: Decibel Tests w/ Felt Installation.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Decibel Tests w/ Felt Installation.

Here are some decibel tests I ran on my machine. Instead of only taking one picture per test I took 2 since the levels did vary some.
    Self adhesive felt tape from Aces/Griggs Hardware, $5.
    The 3 different tests are before felt, after 1 layer installed and finally after the 2nd layer installed.
    These tests were of normal 3 reel play, no bonuses.
    I wish the results would've been bigger but alas they are what they are. For $5 I think it's great. The machine didn't need to be taken apart, I just sprayed air on sides to clean off dust and then a flat spatula to evenly place felt. It took no more than 30 minutes and had a great time tinkering.
    I attempted to hold recorder at same distance/height each time, in hindsight I should've set up something to have it perfectly placed for equal tests.....sigh lol.
    Idk how to flip those last two pictures, oh well .
    20230126_170745_HDR~2.jpg20230126_172103~2.jpg20230126_172013_HDR~2.jpg20230126_183848_HDR~2.jpg20230126_183845_HDR~2.jpg20230126_184100_HDR.jpg20230126_184051_HDR.jpg

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Terraforeman

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Decibel Tests w/ Felt Installation.

Bravo, Brava
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

4. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ok... I'm feeling like I'm missing out on something and not reading the meter results properly.
    Waiting for each picture to load, I forget the exact numbers I just saw and then the images look pretty much the same to me.
    Did the felt make any noticeable difference?
    I'm used to thinking of sound as decibels with 100 being what I think of as an average rock concert.
    Looking at the photos, I didn't see anything matching the scale I'm familiar with.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to UncleToyBox

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by UncleToyBox View Post
    ok... I'm feeling like I'm missing out on something and not reading the meter results properly.
    Waiting for each picture to load, I forget the exact numbers I just saw and then the images look pretty much the same to me.
    Did the felt make any noticeable difference?
    I'm used to thinking of sound as decibels with 100 being what I think of as an average rock concert.
    Looking at the photos, I didn't see anything matching the scale I'm familiar with.
    I thought the same thing however I think he recorded it and looked at the playback intensity of the digital sound meters.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had the recordings going on handhelds and took a picture of each while they were "live" with my phone. The blur is occurring due to constant micro fluctuations on lil digi screen.
    As to your decibel comment and not recognizing much, sadly I understand lol. The decibel levels that are showing are very small, almost indistinguishable to the normal ear. The improvement really was only a handful of decibels, hardly anything.
    Here's the best way I'd describe the difference- I am close to your ear and whisper something. I then pull about 6" away and whisper same thing with same intensity. It'll be just a teeeeeeny bit softer.
    Heading to the hardware store, grabbing the felt, can o' air and Snickers for less than $15 made me feel like a kid again waiting to get home to my video games.