Thread: Noob question about acquiring a 2009 Fever SDF Macross

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Noob question about acquiring a 2009 Fever SDF Macross

Ok, complete noob here, I'm more of a pinball owner. But I'm also a huge SDF Macross fan, and I've wanted a 2009 Fever SDF Macross pachi for a long time. With a new game room going into the basement, nows my chance! But I have a bunch of questions.

1. Is this even a good idea? Is that machine fun or even reasonable for a noob to own/play?
    2. I know that this particular title has been $$$ for years, is there a price range I should target?
    3. Does this machine sell ever? I know there is one on eBay for a pretty high price. Should I just bite the bullet?
    4. Is payouts part of the fun in playing pachis? It seems like the game wouldn't be as much fun without payout.
    5. I saw one on a website for somewhat less, but converted to cyclic? So no payouts right?
    6. The same site seems to have a cell only that is partially converted to cyclic and won't payout. It's about 50% of the price. Is it worth picking up the cell now and searching for a V-Trigger frame separately?
    7. Are there any particular issues or gotchas with the Fever SDF Macross pachi?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm really just starting to get serious about owning this machine.

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Noob question about acquiring a 2009 Fever SDF Macross

WELCOME!!!

I don't really know about that particular machine, so am of no help with most of your questions except #1!!

Is this even a good idea? Is that machine fun or even reasonable for a noob to own/play?
    When it comes to new people asking what machine to get first, the answer that is often given is "theme is king"!!

There are us crazy people that like most any pachi just cuz its a pachi!! But for people that may not be as nuts, theme can go a Long way in making a pachi more enjoyable!!

It's not fool proof, like with Lord of the Rings which most people agree is boring, but its a good place to start!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

3. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I do like the Glowing Elfin Sword and the moving videos of the characters.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MrGneiss View Post
    When it comes to new people asking what machine to get first, the answer that is often given is "theme is king"!!
    thanks! That actually helps. Do you have any recommendations regarding cyclic vs. non-cyclic?

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Non cyclic all the way for me..I know some people don't care, but I just love winning balls!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talk to Karen and Aki at JT Comatz if you’re serious about buying it; they can find hard to find models and they have several hundred machines in stock.

Personally, I couldn’t see spending that much on a machine that old. The screens and animations are a lot bigger/better on the newer models. Older components too…But if you really like the theme; go for it. Personally if it’s your very first pachinko I wouldn’t buy such an expensive model; I’d get a cheaper one in a good theme to see if it’s going to get played much or not (see if you like playing pachinko or not).

I really like my newer Macross Frontier 3; and this frame has tons on cell swapping options!

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thats a Macross Frontier, rather than SDF Macross. I believe them theme of the series is rather different. and the animatronics on SDF are meant to be excellent. its when they first started going nuts with pop out parts.
    A decade ago it was the must machine to have.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

11. The following user says "Thanks" to jasonlujan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have the machine, not for sale sorry, my advise is same as lotsofballs, buy a machine, any machine, and see if you like pachinko first, they have really nothing in common with pinball, pachinko is more work to play, the macross machine is awesome in reach and fever modes, but in pachinko, there is also times of not winning, and this machine can be boring during that time, but like i said, awesome during reach's which make this machine desirable to collectors, and pricey

Plasma has it for $2000, he also list on ebay, I would never buy a cell first, hoping to find a frame later, V-trigger has a bunch of good cells, one of the easy ones to find is macross frontier one

Also know you will need to buy more pachinko balls, this machine, when you win, you win about 2000 balls, and it smart to have more balls then what you would win, odds on this one is 1/318
    2018 Jaws 2 Panic Again 2016 Superman Limit Break 2016 Majestic Prince 2015 MaCross Frontier 2 2015 Castlevania 2015 Persona 4 2014 Star Wars 3 2013 Biohazard 2011 Kung Fu Panda 2009 Star Wars 2 Light 2009 MaCross Robotech

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to quester

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by quester View Post
    I have the machine, not for sale sorry, my advise is same as lotsofballs, buy a machine, any machine, and see if you like pachinko first, they have really nothing in common with pinball, pachinko is more work to play, the macross machine is awesome in reach and fever modes, but in pachinko, there is also times of not winning, and this machine can be boring during that time, but like i said, awesome during reach's which make this machine desirable to collectors, and pricey

Plasma has it for $2000, he also list on ebay, I would never buy a cell first, hoping to find a frame later, V-trigger has a bunch of good cells, one of the easy ones to find is macross frontier one

Also know you will need to buy more pachinko balls, this machine, when you win, you win about 2000 balls, and it smart to have more balls then what you would win, odds on this one is 1/318
    Yeah, exactly. I eased into the hobby slowly with a $60 hanemono to start with. Less money to lose if it’s not for you! Still have that first one though! Ban Ban Jump (bungee jump theme). However the new ones offer a lot and prices reasonable if you look hard enough! Can always work your way up to the “holy grail” machine of choice.