Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goku III - My first machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Goku III - My first machine

Hi friends, I've been lurking and searching this forum to learn about my first machine that I'm restoring. A number of years ago a coworker asked if I was interested in his machine. He had decided he wasn't ever going to do anything with it and wanted to find it a new home. He knew I was an Air Force brat, born in Japan, so asked me. Of course, I said yes.

The machine seemed to be in decent shape, but very dirty. I put it in my garage where it has waited 6+ years before I finally decided to try to do something with it. I searched the internet and this site to learn enough about how to clean it up. I now have it cleaned up pretty well although I wasn't brave enough to take it completely apart for a thorough cleaning.

Here's what I think I know about it:

• Name: Goku III, based on a character from Dragon Ball
    • Born on date: 1991
    • Other: Sankyo hanemono, frame is pre-cursor to Lumina

It seems to work pretty well, at least mechanically. I'm not sure how to trigger or evaluate the electronics. Many of the lights and sounds work. Here are a few things I don't know:
    • Does it have a "fever mode", if so how to trigger it? (I've found a number of procedures on this site, but they haven't worked for me.)
    • I have yet to see anything display in the "ROUND" and "COUNT" displays below the center feature. Should there be anything there by default? What makes it activate?

Here are some pics of the front:
    Pachinko Early Photos-008.jpgPachinko Early Photos-006.jpgPachinko Early Photos-002.jpg

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daveham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Goku III - My first machine

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daveham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I found a video showing a lot more going on electronically than I've seen so far on my machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEDy2xnVm1M

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like standard hanemono type affair.

player gets a few 2 pocket hits with no luck. Then at about 1:30 gets a 2 pocket hit with a ball getting into to V pocket to start the jackpot and all the whistles and bells.
    Ian #UKPachinko

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

To get into the bonus round on a hanemono (wing type) machine you need to first get balls in the 1 and 2 pockets at the bottom..A ball in the 1 makes the wings around the center feature once and a ball in the 2 will make them open twice!!

Once that happens you need to get a ball in the center feature Then into the V pocket to start the bonus.. Then the counters should work!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

9. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

and ginger snap cookies.

Many thanks for posting the photos here and the members here will soon have your questions answered and of course . . . .

Welcome to the Addiction !! "No one can have just One "

One big thing I learned back in 1977 with my First Vintage "Flipper" pachinko is make sure your Pachinko Balls are Clean and the ball path front and back of your machine are nice and Clean .
    Last edited by takethecastle57; 11-14-2022 at 05:11 AM.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

11. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, the process as described is what I've tried. And from the video I expect to see some electronics light up by default that are not. I have all clean balls and pretty clean pathways and mechanically the machine seems to work well - shooter is solid, simple jackpots activate and issue balls, mechanical bells are rung.

I suspect there might be issues in the connections and wiring to the center feature which is the most intimidating (to me) part to try to pull out, clean and troubleshoot. But, I think that is my next task.

Thanks for all the info. I'll be back.

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daveham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would make sure you have enough balls in the top tray and that the fuse is good. Do you hear a motor running continuously on the back right (when viewing from the back)? If not, then you aren't getting power to everything.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to judremy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WARNING. Hanemonos are know for anti tamper. But lets use that to our advantage

So start with the rear tank full.

Is there any lights on teh centre feature at all?

Pop open the front glass. One at a time. drop a ball into each of the No.1 pockets. Do you get a light reaction/music. Does the wings on top of teh centre feature open quickley once?
    Repeat with the No.2 pocket.

IF yes the wings open. Move to next step.

Drop a ball into each pocket inside the centre feature. If its be detected. It should either make a payout, or set off an alarm. Check all 3 work.
    Ian #UKPachinko

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have lots of balls and the empty light (which does work) goes off when I fill the hopper. I do hear the motor running continuously and the shooting mechanism does a great job firing lots of balls. I've dropped single balls into all of the holes on the front and each one, after it travels through the pathways on the back, causes a mechanical bell to ring as the jackpot payout delivers. However, there are lights associated with each hole in the front and those lights do not light up as a ball passes through.

I pulled out the center feature and hooked it back up through the cables. The flow is:
    • Power runs through a 3.5amp fuse to the controller board.
    • Two wide connectors with many wires leave the controller board and connect to a small interconnect board.
    • Many two wire pairs leave the interconnect board running to all of the lights behind/beside the jackpot holes in the front.
    • Three multi-wire connectors leave the interconnect board and run directly to the center feature which is quite a construct of LEDs, servos and decorations.

Photo of test setup, main controller in foreground, center feature behind that, interconnect board above in the rear:
    2022-11-14 22.20.30.jpg

With this minimal reconnection, I plug it back in to power and again hear the motor running. The empty light goes out when I fill the hopper. No lights come from the center feature. The interesting thing I notice is when I unplug it, after about a half second delay, I see the LEDs around the center feature flash on once and then go off. When this happens I hear a dull click, maybe like a servo getting released.

I checked the connections on the large capacitor on the left side of the frame and thought they felt a little loose. I crimped them a bit to get a tight fit, but when I retested, it didn't improve anything.
    2022-11-14 22.26.28.jpg

I didn't know anything about the anti-tampering aspects. In my test setup I don't have all the two wire pairs reconnected back to the front board. Could that trigger anti-tampering? I've wondered if a single bulb being out or a single broke wire could be an issue. I haven't found any obvious breaks through visual inspection. The only thing I tested so far with a meter is the wire with the inline fuse that I tested for continuity. I'm a novice at using a digital multimeter.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So when you drop a ball in the no1 or no2 pocket, there is no change and the wings don't open. Just a payout?

Then I would start by locating the sensors/switches for those pockets and trace back from there.
    Ian #UKPachinko

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I haven't found any issues with wiring so far. I am suspecting a power-related issue on the controller board. I'm going to post my notes here in case anyone has any comments.

• Transformer takes wall 120 VAC and converts to 24 VAC.
    • 2 wires from 24 VAC side of transformer run to upper-right "lamp board" that holds jackpot and empty lamps.
    • 2 wires from lamp board are labeled 24 VAC and include a 3.5A fuse, run to controller board.
    • Controller board includes a power supply circuit, plus digital logic including Motorola CPU, Yamaha sound chip and Goku III ROM.
    • 4-pin connector on controller board has 2 wires in for 24 VAC and 2 wires out that run to speaker in door.
    • Controller has 13-pin connector and 20-pin connector, both running to interconnect board, and then to LEDs, lamps and servos in center feature.

Powering the circuit board creates a whine that might be coming from power supply circuit. A second after powering off there is a clicking sound, LEDs flash on and off once.

Visual inspection of controller board shows one if the 50 V 1000 uF capacitors in power supply circuit is slightly bulging on the top. Nothing else looks unusual.

Here's a photo of the controller board:controller-board.jpg

I'm going to try replacing the capacitor once I get the part.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to daveham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update with no progress:

I replaced the bulging capacitor on the controller board and it made no difference. Out of circuit, the "bad" capacitor tested ok with my meter so maybe the bulge was a sign of a future problem.

I also pulled out a zener diode near the cap that I thought might be bad. Out of circuit, it also tested fine so I put it back in.

I measured VAC across the power into the frame (where it's labeled 24 VAC). My reading was over 26 VAC - how much of a problem is that? Should I consider replacing the transformer?

There aren't many identifying marks on the transformer, but here's a pic:PK-tranformer.jpg

I measured Vcc on the processor chip on the controller board and got only 2.4 V where I expected 5 V. I'm still learning how to diagnose so I certainly could be doing it wrong.

If anyone has any comments or ideas let me know. I'll keep at it.

24. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daveham

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

How to troubleshoot down to the component without schematics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QFAWb1F_EpE
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

26. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

To add to my prior post, I measured 27.1 VAC where the power connects to the controller board (24 VAC expected). Thanks for the link takethecastle57, I'm off to learn...

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daveham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Waiting on a part to try replacing the voltage regulator (7805A) on the control board. Since I'm not seeing 5V on the logic side it seems a reasonable part to try to replace. It has a large heat sink attached so maybe it got too hot at some point.

In the meantime, I'm trying to identify some of the older parts in the center feature. It contains 6 solenoids to open and close various doors, wings and such. I disassembled enough to find any identifying markings and here is what I found:

• 305-150 WEL 0308 (3 of these)
    • 406-100 WEL 0308 (2 of these)
    • 260-100 WEL 0308 (1 of these)

The rods all include springs so I assume they are a single pull direction and rely on the springs to return to the inactive position. Here's a photo of some of them in place:
    cf-solenoids-small.jpg

I haven't been able to find anything based on these markings. No manufacturer, specs or data sheets.

The pins on the controller board connectors that lead to these devices are connected through NEC C4350 NPN darlington transistors (100V 10A).

Does anyone recognize these markings and/or devices and maybe know something about them? It would be nice to know the specs in case I need to rebuild using newer devices.

Thanks for any info.

30. The following user says "Thanks" to daveham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I do find things like solenoids do have a habit of being linked to certain companies rather than generic parts
    Ian #UKPachinko

32. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have good news! After replacing the voltage regulator transistor, I'm getting lots of activity in the center feature. Hard to capture in images since the activity includes racing LEDs along the top and both sides, but here are a couple of shots including showing for the first time the round and count 7 segment LEDs working:

center-working-1.jpgcenter-working-2.jpg

The hardest part of the repair was getting the old part out of the controller board. Since it's screwed onto a heat sink, and the transistor and heat sink were both soldered into the circuit board, it was very hard freeing up all five connection points - the heat sink kept bleeding off the heat from the solder iron. But, new part in place now:
    new-7805.jpg

Now to put the whole machine back together and see if it all works.

34. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to daveham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's alive! Here's a quick iPhone recording of the Goku III up and running:

https://rumble.com/v1ypan2-goku-pachinko-machine.html

36. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daveham

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."