Thread: Star Wars 2 - the 3 R2D2’s in front won’t move or turn their heads.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Star Wars 2 - the 3 R2D2’s in front won’t move or turn their heads.

Everything else works on this machine but the 3 R2’s only light up but won’t turn their heads or rise up as I have seen others on YouTube show they do a lot of actions. Does anybody know what wire socket controls them and how to diagnose their movement problem?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Star Wars 2 - the 3 R2D2’s in front won’t move or turn their heads.

Look behind the large plastic cover on back for a board with six connectors, 2nd from the left. This bottom white CN6 one seems to disable the units when I unplug it. Check both ends of the harness if needed. Everything comes apart in layers and plugs are all color coded for easy reassembly.

16634459415505300689524543355324.jpg

Everytime I power up this machine 2 of the 3 units move and down and all 3 light up and then off.

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Please see the video link below. The gold R2 try’s to move during the startup procedure but none of the others move or turn their heads. I checked the cable in back and it is secured. I have not tried to take it apart much further than just surface boards.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qt7_KjVuaNk?feature=share

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a few of my Modern machines stop doing things like no audio or one of two the jackpot circuits won't send the signal to the payout motor .

I think the manufacturers plan for the machines to work right for maybe Five years (the machines are by law retired after Two years) .

Things like a capacitor or op amp i.c. go bad and things happen .

Then you have to learn how to troubleshoot without schematics and know how to troubleshoot logic circuits and multimeter and oscilloscopes .

That's why some of our members like the 1970's and older Gravity feed machines aka "Vintage" .Very simple mechanical knowledge needed .

Anyone want to adopt my Modern machines all you have to do is come to Monterey, California and choose which one and only $50 to $70 adoption fee

Oh, the Moderns that have problems are my Thunderbirds II and Maharaja both have a Audio problem and the one with the payout problem Cobra, Space Adventurer.

Now back to the Thread in progress. . . . and ginger snaps cookies .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Have you tried the reset buttons? I believe the frame reset is just below the power switch and the cell reset is a tiny recessed button half way down the back midline slightly towards the left. Hold one down for 5-10 seconds while powering up the machine then power off and repeat with the other.

Try these reset buttons and let us know if anything changes. If no changes, I'll try making time this week to dig deeper into mine.
    Last edited by Peteybob; 09-20-2022 at 09:30 AM.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I tried that last night which makes the machine do that nasty flashing and the voice telling you to press the start button on the main board. Still no movement from the R2’s. The weird thing is that all the videos online that I see show the R2’s moving as the Darth Vader lowers but as you see on mine nothing happens till he is out of sight then the far right R2 moves up and down. I did follow the wiring to the next board but it is tucked under another plastic covering. I’m unsure how much has to be removed to get that covering off the machine.

Does anybody know how to get the machine to show that initializing message that I see on 2 of the YouTube videos?

https://youtu.be/LL-e5tXIIbE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This comes up after the large orange bundled connection is removed in back.

20220920_152428.jpg

This is the message to reset the machine at times when powering up.

Screenshot_20220920-152308_Translate.jpg

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Are you able to post several pictures of the back of your machine? Someone might spot something out of place. A reasonable next move before tearing down things which looks very involved to me while sitting here looking at mine.

My next move would be to remove the cell for exploratory surgery.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to demery

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update. After turning it off and on a bunch of times after warming it up I now have both the left and right R2’s moving up and down but the left one seezes up pretty quick with no activity. None of the heads move yet. Not sure on that part yet.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

of course there i a chance this may or maynot be related to the bug that affects lumina cels. although that normally screws up the screen and audio as well.

but might be worth leaving it switched on for an hour. turning it off then back on again.

also doesn't this game have 3 reset buttons
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are 3 buttons that I know of. The one by the power switch seems to hard reset the machine. The one on the main board is needed to start the system after a hard reset. There is another button underneath the board that has a numeric lit LED chip which I have figured out that if it says 7 that means the ball out sensor is empty. I have no clue what that button does though. Seems like it does nothing.

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah their is one on the cell to reset the game itself . I haven't played mine for a really long time but I faintly remember to have to reset that bugger on the Cell.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS