Thread: Showa Hoko Kugo possibly 1946 single shot

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Showa Hoko Kugo possibly 1946 single shot

Every bit of this has a fine film of rust dust. Seems to work okay - lots of twisted metal in the back, may need some help identifying what it used to be.
    There's a clear out button lower right, I got this for the little naruto ball feed. (I wonder what it would cost to scan and recast to add to other machines)

I'll do a proper restore with no alterations. I removed the glass for the photos.

IMG_7576.jpg IMG_7577.jpg IMG_7579.jpg IMG_7581.jpg IMG_7582.jpg IMG_7583.jpg

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to jasonlujan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Showa Hoko Kugo possibly 1946 single shot

That is amazing! Full pic of the back please!

4. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

whoops how dumb of me to not even post the full back.

here it is:
    IMG_7574.jpg

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jasonlujan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Rather odd! I would have expected the more common mortise and tenon at the bottom and wingnuts to frame hooks...as opposed to the hinges and screen door hook that is employed.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: columnLeft"]

[/TD]
    [TD] Home :: History of Pachinko
    History of Pachinko

Strangely enough, the history of Pachinko starts in a most unlikely place and time. Table-based games first appeared in the early 15th century in England, an apparent attempt to bring popular outdoor games such as croquet indoors. The first such games featured wickets, which were eventually replaced by wooden pins to be knocked down. In the 17th century the games evolved to include pockets. These games became what we know today as billiards.
    In France in the early 18th century someone took a billiards table and narrowed it, placing all of the pins on one end with targets behind them. The pins took too long to reset after each shot, so they were replaced by static pegs, while the targets were replaced by holes. The object of the game was to shoot ivory balls up an inclined plane peppered with posts and into a series of scoring holes. In 1819 the game was standardized and called "Bagatelle", a french word meaning "a trifle". Bagatelle quickly spread to America, where is became so popular even President Lincoln played the game.
    class: image

[TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]In the early 1920's, a childs toy version of Bagatelle called the "Corinth Game" or "Corinthian Bagatelle" was produced in Chicago. The shooting plunger was redesigned to accomidate the large silver balls instead of marbles and bumpers and wood rails were later added, creating the forerunner of the American passtime known as pinball. Corinthian Bagatelle introduced brass nails instead of wooden pegs, a first primitive step towards the invention of the pachinko machines[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: caption, align: center"]1930's Corinthian Bagatelle[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]As early as 1910, a British wall game called "The Circle of Pleasure" was invented and distributed. This innovative machine had many of the common features of what would become known as pachinko, including races, scoring pockets, and even a slingshot-style flipper. It was a popular pub gambling device taking in and paying out coins. In particular, it was set up in a vertical configuration with glass restricting the balls to the playfield. The Circle of Pleasure used a single glass marble that never left the machine.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: caption, align: center"]1910 Circle of Pleasure[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]In late 1952 the first autoloaders or the "Renpatsu-shiki" (successive shot) pachinko machines were developed, enabling players to shoot 160 to 180 balls per minute. In the summer of 1953 the gaming authority made it illegal to produce Renpatsu-shiki that paid more than one ball per win pocket, marking 1952/1953 as the only years of that era in which autoloading ALL-15 machines were produced. By the end of 1953 there were 387,664 registered parlors, and over 600 manufacturing companies.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: caption, align: center"]1953 Successive Shot[/TD]
    [/TR]

Trying to date your machine...I was looking into pachinko history, and found this! This one is slightly hidden from view but features a very unique feature, a ball loader referred to as "The Snail" based on it's shape.
    class: tr-caption-container, align: center

[TR]
    [TD="align: center"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tr-caption, align: center"]Masamura All 15 type (1952, Hokoku Yuki)[/TD]
    [/TR]

class: tr-caption-container, align: center

[TR]
    [TD="align: center"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tr-caption, align: center"]well that's just pretty. The spiral entrance is called a "snail" or "Dendemushi"[/TD]
    [/TR]

9. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Don’t forget that famous British game of Bar Billards. Where you have to bounce balls off each other in to different value holes in the middle of the table which are guarded by wooden men. If you know the men down. No forfeit your score
    Ian #UKPachinko

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that 1952 looks verbatim to mine
    looks like i have a Masamura All 15 type (1952, Hokoku Yuki)

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Don’t forget that famous British game of Bar Billards. Where you have to bounce balls off each other in to different value holes in the middle of the table which are guarded by wooden men. If you know the men down. No forfeit your score
    I discovered Bar Billiards in Dallas, TX. We love the game so much that we have started acquiring tables. I have a Norwich Rules (4 Skittles) table:
    My BB Table.jpg

My daughter and her husband have a standard (3 Skittle) table:

Kayla's BB Table.jpg

These tables were the predecessor to pinball. I have even heard that Pinball is named for the pins on a bar billiards table.

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    History of Pachinko
    Best not repeat that stuff, as it's all outdated historical guesswork that has been undone. There's a lot of correct things in there, but also a lot of incorrect things.
    for instance, Corinthian Bagatelle games were made in Britain around 1930, past when the first proto-pachinko machines were made in Japan.
    Pachinko did evolve out of French and British early vertical arcade games.
    Bagatelle, as pin bagatelle is described, was not played by Lincoln. It is not even know if Lincoln played English 9-hole bagatelle (no pins,) but it was shown in a famous political cartoon circa 1864.

I'm working with some friends to help lay out a vastly more concrete and well-sourced timeline of those early 200 years...
    WANTED: 10¥ candystore games, pre-1950s Japanese machines, スマートボール (Smart Ball), 1948 Bally Heavy Hitter, Pickwick-style (~1905)
    willing to ship from anywhere.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to cait001