Thread: "Dreams can come true, I am living proof" or A Desperate Need For Approval

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default "Dreams can come true, I am living proof" or A Desperate Need For Approval

Hello!

I just wanted to share a happy story about a pachinko noob that could have ended terribly, and instead has gone so very right.

5 days ago, all I knew about pachinko was that my biological gather had one back in the 70's, and it was a lot of fun. In the present day, I have spent the last few months building an arcade in my garage. I was thinking about adding a pinball machine when I cam across an craigslist ad. 2 machines, untested, dirty, $100 each, with balls. Swept up in nostalgia and poor impulse control, I offered $180 for both. My wife and I went to their house, a couple of pickers who had pulled these from a storage unit. I tried the launcher, it worked, and I, KNOWING NOTHING ELSE about the machines, or how they were supposed to work, or if they even had all the parts, threw my money down and literally ran to the car with one of the machines.

Here is craiglist pic:
    00S0S_170DaadLvlOz_0CF0t2_1200x900.jpg

We brought them home, and I took a few pictures and sent them to a local pachinko repair shop. They told me only one was worth salvaging, and even with the other one, they wouldn't be able to tell until they got it into the shop. I figured Youtube teaches everything, and then I found Dan Welch. His videos were fantastic in showing the inner workings and basic operation. It was a joy to search through and actually see my machines, or the guts at least.

So, I put in the elbow grease and did the best I could. I wasn't willing to fully dissassemble, but I made a cell-cleaning tool, and then set to disassembling and cleaning. 2 days later, this is what I have:
    sanyo 1.jpgSanyo 2.jpgnew gin 1.jpgNew Gin 2.jpg

Both fully working, paying off "pachinko-machine-consistently". The lights are xmas lights that I put in place of stock and rigged up to make the New Gin's center attraction glow.

So, $180 for the two along with about 1100 engraved balls. How'd I do?

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to ogami1972

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: "Dreams can come true, I am living proof" or A Desperate Need For Approval

You have a local pachinko repair shop?

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Bowl987

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: "Dreams can come true, I am living proof" or A Desperate Need For Approval

sounds like a fine deal to me.. pics of the backs would help..

both machines look great

Nice work..

Try polishing the nails.. those brass nails shining make a huge difference..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ask and ye yada yada yada
    OK, so one pic of the New Gin is pre-cleaning, it currently has xmas lights taped to the rear of the center and I didn't want y'all to laugh at me. The other one is pre and post, and yes, my lights are a mess, it was just an impulse, not sure they are staying, lol.

New gin back again.jpg

sanyo 1-back.jpg

sanyo lights.jpg
    Last edited by ogami1972; 04-12-2022 at 11:17 PM.

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ogami1972

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, it's a hipster town. I won't name them because they were pretty discouraging, told me based on pics that only one was worth saving and it was gonna cost me. Meh, I guess everyone has to make money (shrug)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just have to add a couple of more pics.

For context, I'm a self-employed baker, and this all started with a laptop, an xbox controller, and a dream to make my garage a home arcade. For most folks, myself included, this is an ambitious dream.

Here are pics of my progress, 3 months in. First in the light, then in the dark, with focus (which I use loosely, camera wouldn't cooperate) on the new additions. Fee free to ask questions. My project has been super "no-budget", but I am proud of it and love to talk about it.

Arcade 1.jpg

arcade 2.jpg

arcade 3.jpg

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ogami1972

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've been to Austin back in 2008 for the "Firefly/Serenity" Brown coats Ball in Oct 10-12 and yeah I do like the cool part of town .

I've been doing my own Restoration and Maintenance since 1977 . It can take weeks,months,or even years to get a machine 100% or close to it but it Feels So good when it is done (And you have a Smile on your face for weeks)
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice work!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice finds, they look pretty nice, wish I was that lucky, can't seem to find anything worth the money in my neck of the woods.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ya got a Comet II machine working, most people consider them problem machines.. (there not my favorite)

as for the Christmas lights
    Last edited by Moparformances; 04-13-2022 at 10:05 PM.
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If I told you I intend to replace them with led strips, would it make it better or worse? lol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's your machines , do what you like . Just make it reversible .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For years I have always tried to keep my vintage pachinko prices at $100.00 per machine...including shipping. I have not been able to maintain that standard. So $180 for 2 machines sounds good to me.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ogami1972 View Post
    I just have to add a couple of more pics.

For context, I'm a self-employed baker, and this all started with a laptop, an xbox controller, and a dream to make my garage a home arcade. For most folks, myself included, this is an ambitious dream.

Here are pics of my progress, 3 months in. First in the light, then in the dark, with focus (which I use loosely, camera wouldn't cooperate) on the new additions. Fee free to ask questions. My project has been super "no-budget", but I am proud of it and love to talk about it.

Arcade 1.jpg

arcade 2.jpg

arcade 3.jpg
    Your a Baker , How are your Lemon Bars ? And do you ship ?