Thread: My First Pachinko Restoration: An Accountability and Questions Thread

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My First Pachinko Restoration: An Accountability and Questions Thread

Greetings, venerable sages of Japanese Gambling Machinery!

I come to you with a request: Watch over me as I turn a functional garage sale freebie into something nice(r than it was when I started!)

I present a humble offering of Before Pics.

IMG_20220224_141035.jpgIMG_20220224_141054.jpgIMG_20220225_225954.jpg

As far as my research shows, this is a Nishijin C, in some sort of Tarzan theming with some classic Japanese politically incorrect depictions of "jungle natives." I received it for free at a garage sale around 4 years back, and started to work on it, only to have life get in the way. I've had it wrapped and shelved since. Now that I have some more room to leave a project like this out, I've started to work on it again.

Thanks to a clutch ball purchase from Peteybob, I have been able to ascertain that for the most part, my machine is working as intended. There are some minor functionality issues that I'm going to have to figure out, like the "WAIT" flag not operating, and one of the tulips doesn't allow a winning ball to go down the mechanics, but overall, I am ecstatic.

I intend to use this thread to document my pachinko "restoration" journey, since, if people keep bugging me about updates, I won't lose interest in the project and pack it up again.

____________________________________________________________ __
    Process Progress:

• Check Machine Functionality - DONE
    • Take reference photos - DONE
    • Clean everything - IN PROGRESS
    • Remove rust with steel wool and buff - IN PROGRESS
    • Replace dubious screws - PENDING MATERIAL
    • [Steps I haven't realized I need to do yet] - To be determined
    • Have a beautiful, functional, clean machine - PENDING

QUESTIONS (Please help):

1. When I took the innards off the frame, I flipped the innards assembly over to clean it, and a piece fell onto the desk. I have no idea what piece this is. It looks like it broke off something, but I didn't hear anything when I flipped it. I can't find anywhere that this is supposed to go, and aside from the aforementioned issues, the machine still works without it. Have any ideas?

IMG_20220225_230043.jpgIMG_20220225_230048.jpgIMG_20220225_230056.jpgIMG_20220225_230058.jpg
    2. Any tips for filling in pitting left over after scrubbing away the rust on the border chrome? I haven't searched the forums for this particular issue yet, so I'm sure it's in here, I'm just listing the questions I've got currently, given the nature of this thread.

Thanks for checking out my machine and progress! Please excuse and correct any errors in formatting etiquette, I've not worked with traditional forums much before. I welcome words of advice, encouragement, or admonishment!

Thank you!
    I.Hikari

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to IryokuHikari

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My First Pachinko Restoration: An Accountability and Questions Thread

That plastic piece looks like part of the ball launcher mechanism to feed the balls in the front shooter.

If the Chrome pitting is really bad you could get a 3m pad to scuff up the metal and get auto body Filler Primer to fill the pits up , sand, wipe down the metal and then spray it with a silver gloss auto paint to finish it up .
    Last edited by takethecastle57; 02-28-2022 at 10:37 AM.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My First Pachinko Restoration: An Accountability and Questions Thread

I had a vintage whare the metal was so rusted that even sanding and painting wasn't going to make it look much better. I then used a hammered affect spray paint made by Rust-Oleum. It comes in gold, silver, a green and maybe more colors. The hammered affect camouflaged the pitting. It's a different look and not for everyone.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Lazarus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My First Pachinko Restoration: An Accountability and Questions Thread

That rust and pitting isn’t that bad; it would likely clean up decently. What I found works well is wad up a piece of aluminum foil into a loose ball; dip it in a brine solution of water and table salt; rub the dripping wet wad of foil back and forth over into the rusty frame and watch the chemical reaction remove the rust; there will be some pitting but it will look way better. Aluminum foil is too soft to damage the metal. Finish it off with a polish of Blue Magic metal polish.

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Before:

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    Before:
    After:

10. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

With help from MrGneiss the original thread about the restoration using the hammered paint was found. The pictures are not the best but does show what I was talking about. Here is the link.

https://www.pachitalk.com/forums/sho...ntage-pachinko

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Lazarus