Thread: Proximity Sensor Side Loader prototype in action

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Proximity Sensor Side Loader prototype in action

Experimenting with a self contained, rather large but inexpensive Chinese Proximity Sensor on
    the Side Loader. Video Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_tS7f2HISM

It's a PNP type that is completely self contained to handle small DC loads. Tried this
    a while back holding it in several ways on the original hopper but was unable to make it work reliably.
    The other day I realized a two ball width channel would be perfect for detection. It appears I have
    a working configuration here. This Sammy was missing a prize tray, door latches and a lock when I acquired
    it. Special thanks to Pete for sacrificing his lock striker!

Ball buying is accomplished with just simple normally closed push button switch that interrupts the two wire center feature.
    Roc1.jpg Roc2.jpg
    Last edited by rockston; 01-19-2022 at 01:25 PM.

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Proximity Sensor Side Loader prototype in action

Well funny thing, during testing the loader works for about 15 minutes and suddenly stops with the sensor light on. The motor should be running when the sensor light is on. Pull the balls out of there and there is no jam. I thought perhaps it's a static buildup that's messing with the semiconductor but grounding the body didn't fire it back up. Turns out the draw to the motor is right on the edge of the sensors capacity and as the motor warms up it goes over and the sensor shuts off it's output. Easy fix, a small 12 volt relay with a nominal draw did the trick. It seems to be working perfectly now. This digital operation is way more complicated than the analog ball rails and works sweet however I am not sure if it's advantages in the long run. What may be better in this rendition is the way the shape of this hopper somewhat organizes the input to the sprocket. More testing will tell. The denser 3/4 inch also is definitely more sound deadening.Rockston Digital.jpg I also like the see through sides.

Another thing I discovered that many of you must already know is that simply grounding the shooter knob to the pachi's ground makes it operational for clamping it in position. Now I can just let the machine rip automatically with balls firing while inspecting what's going on in back or just kick back and watch the inherit randomness even when the knob is dead still.

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Proximity Sensor Side Loader prototype in action

6. The following user says "Thanks" to rockston