Thread: Machine is stuck in reset/odds mode

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool Machine is stuck in reset/odds mode

I have a "fist of the north star" Pachislo machine and cannot get it to play. The machine powers on fine but seems to be stuck in reset/odds mode. It allows me to change the odds and lock them in, I know its locking in because when I hit the spin lever the odds screen goes back to zero. But no matter what position the key is in, it stays in reset mode. After gaining suspicion that a broken key mechanism may be the problem, I removed it and tried tried turning the machine on with the reset wires connected, as well as disconnected with the same exact results, I also tested DC amps with a multimeter and detected no power from those 2 wires.

If the machine is stuck in reset mode, and crossing the reset keys wires has no effect, does this mean there's an issue in my power supply?
    I'm not sure if DC amps is the thing I should be testing for because I don't have much experience with this multi meter

Any help would be appreciated! This community has been very helpful so I'm hopeful!

00404_a3ugwIhiscEz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg00v0v_g00Q08BglYqz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00000_92h9abPThZ9z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Things I have tried:
    - Full reset
    - Cleaning coin reader sensors
    - Testing for hopper jams by rotating hopper
    - Cleaned door reset sensor.
    - Tested all external buttons (the led's inside turn on when button pressed, and turn off when buttons depressed)

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Machine is stuck in reset/odds mode

Well. First thing I would do is source a new switch. Either key or rocker type. Safety first. As it's a switch. If you were testing for voltage on either side of the switch. I would be surprised if you did pick up any voltage.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Check the key switch for continuity now that its disconnected. Check the door lock soft reset switch.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I actually tested the 2 wires that the key mechanism was originally connected to (1 was red and other was black). But I havent yet tested the continuity of the switch itself. Am I right in assuming that touching these 2 wires together and pulling them apart should perform the same function as turning the reset key on and off? I was almost positive the reset key mechanism was the issue until I tried touching the 2 wires together with no clear results.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Maybe. But it will not go into reset if the power isn't switched off/on
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

We really don't know much of anything yet for sure, it would be nice to know first if the switch is good. If it is, you can put that back together and we can move on.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question Re: Machine is stuck in reset/odds mode

I'm gonna get this key mech tested tomorrow so I can rule it out as an issue. I also tested the door key reset sensor, its indicator light appears to be consistent with me triggering it, so at least that is ruled out. But for now I have found some interesting translations on my power supply.

there's a strange grey button that translates to "reset". When I hold that button down, the LED under it with the matching "reset" label lights up, and turns off when I let go.

The button that translates as "settings" is also lit up. I'm not sure what these LED indicators are supposed to look like during normal operation, But it may be a good clue into this problem.

translations1.jpgtranslations2.PNG
    Last edited by sbbenwah; 10-25-2021 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In the original terminology the key that's used for setting is the "setting key".
    The key that can be used for reset on some machines is called the "door key".

There's nothing "strange" about the reset button.
    Reset can clear some codes without changing the setting.
    You just push the reset button or turn the door key counter clockwise.
    That's it. That's the complete reset procedure. That's the full reset procedure.

Normal cause of the original problem:
    Someone did the setting procedure but, when they grabbed the setting key to turn it to off, the key moved back just far enough that it didn't turn the switch off when turned.

Current situation:
    The setting key switch has been removed and the wires are twisted together so that setting is always on. The setting procedure must be completed before you can play the machine.

Normal solution:
    Reinstall the setting key switch correctly.
    With the power switch "OFF" turn the setting key to the on position.
    Turn the power switch "ON".
    Push the setting change button to get the setting number you want on the "WIN" display.
    Use the start lever to change the "WIN" display to "0".
    Push the setting key all the way in and turn it to the off position.

Power Supply.jpg

11. The following user says "Thanks" to pachi_sloter

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When I've had the problem in the past I thought that pushing the key in fixed it, but all attempts at recreating the problem now have failed so disregard the previous post.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't know if the switch is 'Normally Closed' for normal play mode or settings mode. If the switch is open for setting mode. It could be as simple as its come disconnected inside the PSU. But I have nothing to compare it with.

Oh my ToHeart2 slo has the reset button on the PSU. You need to press it after a token acceptor jam.
    Ian #UKPachinko

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh okay that makes sense, so that grey "reset button" is essentially a soft reset kind of like the sensor on the door key? Im taking a look inside the PSU today to see the issue as well as testing my key mech. Im pretty confident that
    Open circuit=normal play,
    & closed circuit=reset/settings mode just based on my symptoms so far, I will update my results in a few hours when I have them.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just had the chance to crack open the power supply, and instantaneously found the culprit to this issue and why it happened. The 2 wires connecting the key mech to the power supply were torn right out of the harness. How did a wire come loose in such an enclosed and protected box? because the key mech was loose and free spinning. At some point the wires must have wrapped around the key mech and just torn out from the pulling pressure. Glad to have this fixed and many thanks to everyone who responded with helpful tips.

Dropping picture of those wires here:

IMG_3124.jpg

17. The following user says "Thanks" to sbbenwah

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Figured it out! the reset key mechanism was loose, so when the previous owner would try to turn it, it would just turn the whole mechanism, and eventually ripped out the wires that connect the key mech to the circuit board inside the power supply box. I opened up the box and connected it back to the circuit board and all seems well now. Hopefully this thread can help someone else out with same problem! cheers!

posting picture below of the culprit.

IMG_3124.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually I've seen the same thing many times on Revolving door emergency stop buttons.
    Ian #UKPachinko