Thread: Vintage Custom Arcade Pachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Vintage Custom Arcade Pachinko

Have had this machine for a year. Electrical components are not being triggered by the control board. Pockets are disabled as they are blocked by a custom mechanical assembly that is released by a solenoid and cable setup coming from the top of the machine. If you manually pull the cable you can get balls to pass through the pockets/flowers (which after leaving the seesaw go back to the front tray). Payouts are controlled by a solenoid rather than gravity. It never gets activated when winners are made.

The coin acceptance box has no key, but is wired into the system as the players start point. Putting a quarter in doesn't do anything.

My question - Does this machine, with its custom configuration have any value in this configuration (even thought it doesn't work)?

OR

I'd be happy to eliminate the coin option and just try to get it working. Can I just cut the 3 wires going to the coin box and eliminate it?

I'm just reluctant to start getting heavy handed with changing / altering / damaging components if it is going to devalue it (if it even has any intrinsic value).

Sorry pics are not great. Phone camera is on its last legs.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

2. The following user says "Thanks" to SibSr

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage Custom Arcade Pachinko

i really like these "Computer Pachinko" machines..

such a bummer they don't last long..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had three computer pachinko coin operated but over a decade ago I sold the last of mine .

We do have member's that collect and successfully mended the machines when they had problems.

Maybe start a Repair ticket on it

https://www.pachitalk.com/forums/for...upport-Tickets
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would love to get a look at one of these. It's a heavily modified model A (I'm sure I'm not telling anyone new information here) but how did it handle a bunch of wins in a row? Did these pay out balls or just keep some kind of count? What was the workflow that happened when you put a quarter in the machine? What was the workflow for playing it?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Yungoe View Post
    I would love to get a look at one of these. It's a heavily modified model A (I'm sure I'm not telling anyone new information here) but how did it handle a bunch of wins in a row? Did these pay out balls or just keep some kind of count? What was the workflow that happened when you put a quarter in the machine? What was the workflow for playing it?
    Unfortunately I can't give you answers to most of your questions. So far, while power is being distributed through the machine, none of the components are working. Microswitch terminals change from 0V to 12V when actuated, but the associated device doesn't do anything. I can make one relay on the mainboard chatter a little if I hit the "tilt" device in the back. That should fire the solenoid that moves the shooter gate into the closed position, but the coil doesn't even twitch.

The solenoid at the top center of the cabinet pulls a cable that operates a custom made brass structure that locks/unlocks the flowers for use. Since the solenoid doesn't work, you can jam it open and allow balls to exit the flowers.

But then the winner ball is returned to the player, and the payout lever is controlled by another coil and cable (that doesn't operate on mine).

Payouts are limited to 8 balls by a pop rivet in the payout tray. The dump tray operation hits a microswitch to keep count of the payouts.
    The label on the front says you get one extra play for each 100 points, but no breakdown on what gives what points. A counter in the front keeps track and the replay button is where the lower tray used to be.

Front tray has a clear cover on it so there is no player interaction with the balls. Putting a quarter in it does nothing. Since I have no key don't know what's going on inside the coin box.

With enough manual interventions you can play the machine, but it's almost not worth it. With a somewhat boring and water damaged cel to boot, I don't mess with it much.

When played I found it to be difficult to score in limited playing time.

Seems most likely that big hand soldered board is the problem. It's not sending commands to components.

Trying to decide between trying to return machine to a more normal mechanical payout setup.

Doing brain replacement surgery using an Arduino board and some modern solenoids

Ripping the whole thing out and put a normal machine in the cabinet.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to SibSr

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you know how it is suppose to work, I would rip out the old electronics and power it with an Arduino and a relay board. But that's just me.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Yungoe View Post
    If you know how it is suppose to work, I would rip out the old electronics and power it with an Arduino and a relay board. But that's just me.
    I'm leaning that way. Retired IT guy, so while I've never used one of those, they are cheap enough I may just look into it.

I don't necessarily need tilt protection, or a low ball gate so I could even simplify the setup some.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to SibSr

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think it be best in its natural form as a pachinko machine, and more fun. Arcade machines were designed to be fed coins constantly. Most people don't want their fun to be interrupted by an electronic coin solicitation, yet... all labor is profitable, choose wisely.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to GameXGame

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Decided to start with the first and least intrusive option, returning the machine to its original gravity operated payoffs. Since that is the one solenoid that coudnt be ignored or worked around. The original winner ball exit chute, ball discharge gate and payoff arm were all still in place, the ball just wasn't using them.

Pulled the payoff storage ramp and chutes off and found that a new exit route had been cut into the wood backboard a couple inches past the seesaw. A wall on the existing plastic had been cut with a hot cutting tool in the shape of a U then the younger of plastic was bent inward to block the original exit route and send the winner balls to the front tray instead.

This was easily returned to the normal shape and balls started going the normal route, ignoring the front exit. The first attempt with just the weight of the ball to operate the payoff lever didn't work. Disconnecting the solenoid operating cable, and removing a couple plates from the sandwich weight they used on their linkage did better.

The flower unlock linkage was held open with a clip, and the "Tilt" gate in the shooter is a non factor. The original Nishijin low ball gate label was replaced with a hand made "Tilt" label which had fallen off into the machine.

Tada - it's working.
    No electronics for game play, and no digital score counter. But nothing removed either. The lead weight tilt detector in the rear was disconnected. The original wires on the payoff microswitch were unsoldered since the are carring current. The switch was hijacked to add vintage style light setup with center and upper left corner lights going off when the seesaw rocks. Power for my lights came from cutting the constant 12v source intended for the coin acceptor. Wire was cut in the rear and could be spliced back together. Ran the hot end to a 2 terminal block and used the +/- 12V from there with new wire and bulb sockets.

It was such a big improvement in status that I spent an hour cleaning nail heads the next day.

My wife wondered what I have all these Pachinkos for, and I explained that it was akin to restoring my high school hotrod 30 years ago. Some similar satisfactions in the cleaning and polishing up of an old machine that everyone can see is a big improvement --- just a lot less time and money for results.

But for me the 2 hours I spent finally looking at this non-functioning machine and diagnosing, tweaking, making new parts, etc and getting it working again is fun for me. A lor of Pachinkos on eBay are listed a broken ... great! Cheap and non functional is just what I want! If it was all clean and working perfectly what fun would that be?

But that's just me....

Sorry for the long post.... Bored a little sitting in the dark watching my granddaughter take her nap.

I'll add a few pictures when I get a chance later today.

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to SibSr

Thanks
    Thanks Received

After getting the machine functional again and spending time playing it, I found it to work fine in the new configuration, and handles multiple payouts in a row with no issues. But, I also found it to be difficult to get ahead of.
    Very difficult to score enough to keep the tray filled with balls: a pain since back of machine is closed and the front tray is covered. I had to leave the back off and reach around to manually dump some balls into the front tray to play with (frequently).

It became obvious that I needed a way to dispense balls from the front when needed. The payoff tray had a cable linkage to operate it when the solenoid energized, but it wasn't working like everything else.
    payoffsolenoid.jpg

Cut all existing wires to the solenoid and confirmed it would work with a basic 2 wire 12v DC power supply. To energize it on command, the replay button on the front of the machine seemed like the best option. There was 12v going to the button all the time, but I could not get the button to operate the way I wanted for some reason. Found a simple push button and when wired up started operating the solenoid and doing a tray dump every time the button is pushed.

Decided I would piggyback my button on the original button and make a linkage to operate it. Made a bracket for my button to secure it at the correct height, then cut a piece of round plastic tubing to go between the two buttons.

pushbuttonsetup1.jpg

It worked, so I superglued some scrap plastic to the top of the old switch to keep operating rod in place.

pushbuttonsetup2.jpg

Now I can dispense balls to the front of the machine using the existing replay button; 8 balls at a time.

19. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to SibSr