Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nishijin Super DX Model B Restoration

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nishijin Super DX Model B Restoration

Last night was just a bunch of cleaning of the rest of the parts from the back and the play field parts like the "Side Trosses" and the tulip and pay pockets. I also prepped for today which will be retrobrite day. I'll post some pics of my first batch next.

Time spent last night: 2 hours
    Total time spent: 32 hours

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Over the weekend I started working on the whitening of the plastic parts. You can see some of them here in the before picture. Right now all of the smaller pieces are sitting in a beaker of Salon Care 40 Clear. The two large pieces were too big to fit into a beaker so I covered them in the Salon Care 40 cream and put them in a bag in the sun on Friday and Sunday. This was pretty effective but I will probably be whitening them a little more this week. Also, notice that the silver foil was removed in the process. I am working on a way to reapply that. The pieces in the beakers are whitening too but more slowly. It may take 4 days to finish those.

Before:
    Super DX 018.jpg
    After:
    Super DX 019.jpg

I also tumbled the nails from the playfield in some crushed walnut shell cat litter. They turned out pretty well too.

Super DX 017.jpg

My time calculations are low for this because it really did not involve a lot of effort or time on my part. It was negligible so I am just saying that the total remains the same at about 32 hours of effort.

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have completed most if not of the retrobriting that I am going to do with the plastic parts. I have learned a very important lesson with this.

DO NOT RETROBRITE COLORED PLASTIC.

I will post some pictures later. No harm done really, I was going to have to paint them if the process did not work, and now I still have to paint them. I'm not going to get any work done this weekend on it so I will post some more next week

Time spent retrobriting not totals about two hours so the total time spent is about 34 hours so far.

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I am finally getting back to this machine this summer. I had a really hard time finding the stain I needed for the front frame. I eventually had to special order it and then wait about a month. Regardless, the work continues.

I used some wood putty to fill in some old holes on the playfield and sanded those down.

Next I needed to make a new stencil of all of the holes on the field. The old field was very brittle and came off in pieces. The method I came up with was to tape 4 pieces of 8.5 x 11 tracing paper together and tape it to the play field. Using an craft knife, I cut out all of the large holes and used those openings to attach the field more securely. It was a bit of a hassle getting all the tape back off but I think the accuracy will be worth it. Once large holes were all done, I used one of the brass nails to poke the holes for the nails in the tracing paper. This part of the process was tedious and it took about 2 hours with 2 attempts at making the template failing. I don't have a picture of the template but I will make sure to get one for the next post.
    Super DX 020.jpg

Last night, my wife and I applied the new playfield art using the method that Dan Welch describes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89973NuRwLU

It worked perfectly so if you read these, Dan, Thanks.
    Super DX 022.jpg
    I cut out the hole for the center attraction and then took the photo of the playfield.

I have started finishing the front of the machine. This picture is from after the first coat of stain. I applied a second coat last night and today I am applying layers of polyurethane until I am satisfied. It will need to cure for about 3 days.
    Super DX 021.jpg
    Time spent on these tasks was about 3 hours bringing my total time spent to about 37 hours.

8. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Today I finished cutting out all the holes in the play field
    Super DX 023.jpg
    Then I applied the clear coat sheet and cut the holes in that. It looks the same as the picture above. Then I attached my template that I made yesterday:
    Super DX 024.jpg
    Once that was properly aligned I poked all the hole in the playfield using one of the nails. I removed the template and hammered in about 1/3 rd of the nails.
    Super DX 025.jpg
    Also, since I worked from home today I applied 4 coats of polyurethane to the front of the machine. It is looking good but I want to see how it looks after it cures over the weekend. No picture for this part.

I was working on this for about 3 hours tonight but I was also doing laundry and eating during that time. So lets call it 2 hours tonight making a total of 39 hours so far.

10. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tonight I spent about an hour getting the nails sunk into the playfield and aligning the right side of the field. I also allowed the frame to cure over the weekend and it is now good to handle. The frame is probably "too yellow" and I will probably wind up sanding and painting over what I have here. With the nails I am missing 4 of the nails with the little twists at the end. I have some nails that do not have the screw like twists but they are supposed to hold on the attractions. If I have enough of them left over I will just use them on the playing field, otherwise I will have to buy some. Here is the latest picture.
    Super DX 026.jpg
    Tomorrow, I start repainting and attaching the pockets and other front pieces.

12. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Last night I cleaned up all the rails with a combination of awesome and steel wool. There are 3 rail parts. Then I reinstalled the ball drain cover and the disabler escutcheon (that's what I call it). Finally I installed the launcher rail. This took too much time because I was reluctant to drill out the holes for the mounting wires. Eventually I drilled them out and I was able to mount the launch rail in short order. I used a 3 mm drill bit to bore out the holes. It seems to work okay but I want to try a smaller drill bit for the longer rails.

Super DX 027.jpg

Time Last night 2 hours
    Total Time 42 hours (this includes the 1 hour from my previous post)

14. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tonight I stripped the spinners down to bare metal and painted a primer coat on them.

Super DX 029.jpg

I also remounted all the rails and started to attach stuff to the play field. I still have to paint the side.tross faces and decide if I am going to paint the plastic that I should not have tried to brighten. I will probably leave them as they are. Here is what it looks like now.

Super DX 028.jpg

It's starting to look like a pachinko machine and not just a bunch of junk in boxes laying around my house.

Time spent tonight: about 3 hours
    Total Time so far: 45 hours

16. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Fantastic work and biscuits !
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

18. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Over the last 2 night I spent a combined estimated 2 hours painting the "Side Tross" covers putting the inner circle on the spinners (no pic of the spinners, sorry).

Super DX 030.jpg

Next I will foil these up, reassemble and put these on the playfield. Then it is on to the last 2 pay pockets and the center attraction and the front of the play field will be done. I will reattach it to the frame and begin the re-assembly of the mechanical parts.

Total time: 47 hours

20. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

22. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welp! Tonight was a total pooch screw. I basically melted the cover of one of the side.tross pockets while applying the foiling. I had to reshape the piece with more heat then modify the back of it so the pocket works properly. Also, the foiling looks pretty bad. I may go back over it with a dental pick to get the excess off but I may not. I came very close to scrapping the restoration tonight and making this a parts machine. The only reason I didn't is that I need to get the full experience of restoration.

Super DX 031.jpg

Time spent pulling my hair out tonight, 2 hours. Total time 49 hours.

26. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can take it for what it's worth, but you may want to try a chrome leafing pen. I find it much easier and the results are pretty good.

I have tried several different brands of leafing/paint pens and most don't leave a chrome finish, it's more of a silver and not shiny. I use the Rust-oelum Imagine Chrome pen, it does leave a shiny chrome finish and is pretty close to looking like you applied leafing.

Here are couple of examples:

leaf.png leaf1.png

leaf2.jpg
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

29. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the tip on the pen Wayne-Ooo, looks really good to me. I used a silver Sharpie paint pen on mine, turned ok sorta ok, but not as nice as the work you did with the Rust-Oleum pen.

31. The following user says "Thanks" to sparky kilowatt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks, Wayne. I will get one of these and use it next time.

33. The following user says "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I spent about 2 hours on this machine tonight. I reassembled the center attraction. I destroyed one of the screws holding a spinner on when I was taking it apart so had to order some M2 x 25mm screws to replace the one that I broke. I think these screws need some loctite or something similar. If anyone had any recommendations I would appreciate it.

I reattached the playfield to the front frame using 1.5 inch #8 wood screws. (Dan's recomendation)

I also spent some time with a chrome pen (per Wayne-Ooo's recomendation). I am much happier with these results and this is how I will chrome things in the future.

I put the levers on the back of the side.tross pockets, and sanded down ball handling parts that get mounted to the back. I am going to get some small pan head screws to hold these parts on. They were originally just stapled to the back.

The playfield is now all back together except for the spinners which I am still painting (and stripping and painting and stripping).

Super DX 032.jpg

Total time 51 hours

35. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Lookin' good!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Two nights ago I spent 3 hours on the machine. I tried to chromed a badge with the chrome pen. These pens are FANTASTIC for lines but for larger areas I need to either develop a better technique or use the foil. Moving in small circles in an area seems to do a better job than long strokes. Still, I am not pleased with this result and will be reworking it.

Super DX 034.jpg

I attached the ball handling for the Side.Tross Pockets (those are the red parts you can see under the yellow plastic in the pic below). To my delight, it looks like these pockets are fully functional despite the damage I did to them while trying to chrome them. I repaired the screw hole that had broken off of the white jackpot frame (lower left) and I am very happy with this result. Also with much trial and error I reassembled the see-saw chamber and the lower-payout-ball-receiving lever. I have tested it and everything seems to work. Before I started that evening, the back of the machine was just bare wood. Now it kinda looks like a pachinko machine.

Super DX 033.jpg

I posted this picture earlier but here is what the lower half of the mechanism looked like when I first removed it:

Super DX 013.jpg

Total time: 54 Hours

38. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast