Thread: Question about the 'saved jackpot balls' mechanism on single shots

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Question about the 'saved jackpot balls' mechanism on single shots

I recently restored my first single-shot, and learned something about the "saved jackpot ball" mechanism on my machine (late 60's Marusin), that had me scratching my head a little.

I was familiar with the "saved jackpot ball" concept on single shots, where if 2 or more balls go into pockets at (nearly) the same time, the first ball to get to the seesaw will pay out as usual, and the other balls will go into a holding area -- usually visible from the front -- which can then be manually triggered later so you don't get cheated out of the extra jackpot(s). Triggering is usually done by a lever on the front.

My Marusin has all of those parts. However, when I re-assembled the seesaw section, there is a thin metal plate that sits behind the seesaw parts, against the wood. I realized its function is to cover up the hole to the holding area that extra jackpot balls would normally flow into. Essentially it was disabling the saved jackpot holding area.

So to test it I lowered the seesaw, queued up 3 balls against it, and raised the seesaw. It smoothly processed and paid out all 3 jackpots, confirming the holding area was not needed. It was basically working just like my late 70's Nishijin.

The other thing I realized & confirmed a few days later (you can see in the pictures) -- the thin metal plate has a 90 lip that allows you to get ahold of it and move it up/down, but there's a screw blocking its movement. If I remove the screw, I can pull down on the plate and it moves just enough to uncover the jackpot holding hole, which now enables the holding area, which works as you would expect. So it could be set it up for either option.

I thought this was really interesting. Do other single shots have a similar design? Why did they do it this way? Is it some sort of transition period where the jackpot mech was refined enough to handle a quick succession of jackpots, but the playfield still had a vestige of the old saved jackpot ball mechanism? It seems it was meant to be played with the holding area disabled, but is deliberately designed to switch back and forth easily. Anyway I thought it was pretty cool, and another one of those little surprises that catch me when I think I understand the machine inside and out.

=======================================================
    Default setup -- plate blocking hole, disabling holding area
    01.jpg

Closeup of hole being blocked
    02.jpg

Remove screw, slide plate down, now enabling holding area
    03.jpg

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to middleway

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Question about the 'saved jackpot balls' mechanism on single shots

Pretty cool!!

Maybe they left the option in for parlors that thought maybe there would be some people that thought they were being cheated if they couldn't see the waiting balls like they were used to??

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss