Thread: Question about launcher

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Question about launcher

Hi all!

I somehow blew out part of my New Sea Story machine made by Sanyo. It no longer launches balls or pays out. You can manually trigger the slot spin however and the lights still work.

I am thinking the easiest repair would be to use an Arduino to take over some of the missing functions.

I am wondering if anyone knows the pin-out for this launcher. It has more wires than I have ever seen on any motor- first thought that comes to mind is some sort of stepper motor.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 4.01.10 PM.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Question about launcher

Check your dongle20210728_163619.jpg may just be loose.
    Last edited by rockston; 07-28-2021 at 05:44 PM.

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to rockston

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

And the 1A fuse. I had a sea story blow out a dongle and fuse in the past.
    Ian #UKPachinko

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Switching the dongle caused the problem- I will check the fuse again- what about that capacitor under the magnifying lens?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I hot swapped dongles- is that likely to blow them? Don’t ask me why I did something so idiotic. But I am wondering if reconstructing the dongle would work.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So you have 2 dongles that are identical?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wait they differ? I thought any machine that took the resistor, capacitor, diode dongle used the same…E2FC06E2-DB52-4633-8E87-8534907CE1D0.jpgAB520B6E-EB93-4815-B012-B1FD1505C963.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Which one do you have there, the replacement or original (that i assume was working just fine before you swapped them)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is the original- the only reason I swapped them was because the payout wasn't working- and it bricked it. I can double check the other one- but I am pretty sure I may have shorted something upon switching them... because I didn't turn the machine off... which was really dumb.

And yes, the launcher was working fine until the swap and then neither will work and enable the launcher.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I really feel like I blew up the main board and most of this wont work. Is there any sort of master schematic or anything? If I can just bypass most of the systems- I am fine with taht- I just need to know how to power the launcher.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The card reader interface is very well protected, and hot swapping dongles should not cause any permanent damage to the machine.

The whole interface is isolated from the rest of the machine. It has it's own 24Vac supply with a separate 1A fuse, and opto-isolators on all signals going to the payout control board. So if the dongle is shorted, then it is quite likely to blow the 1A fuse, but any further damage is very rare. The opto-isolators can usually handle surges and shorts, but it is possible that one might have been damaged.

So first check and replace the 1A fuse. If that doesn't fix it, then there are checks that can be made with a multimeter to determine where the problems is, but it would help to know exactly which model of Sea Story you have.

It is possible to modify the payout board so that the machine works without a dongle, which should isolate any areas with potential damage.
    Last edited by daverob; 07-29-2021 at 01:45 AM.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking at the picture of the back of the machine posted on your other thread,

It looks like the plastic box around the payout board has a bit cut out of it around the area of the card reader interface opto isolators. This usually means that at some point the machine was modified so that it does not require a dongle to enable the shooter handle. If you then plug a dongle into a modified machine, it can conflict with the modification, and cause the shooter to stop working.

So firstly, unplug the dongle and see if the shooter works without it.

If not, then post a close up photo of the circuit board where the cut out hole is, and I'll see if I can figure out some tests or modifications that can bypass this and maybe get it all working again.

It would also help to know if you have any electronics tools such as a multimeter or soldering equipment (and more importantly whether you know how to use them or not!).

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    The card reader interface is very well protected, and hot swapping dongles should not cause any permanent damage to the machine.

I checked both the fuse and capacitor. I think something bigger is wrong.

So first check and replace the 1A fuse. If that doesn't fix it, then there are checks that can be made with a multimeter to determine where the problems is, but it would help to know exactly which model of Sea Story you have.

It is possible to modify the payout board so that the machine works without a dongle, which should isolate any areas with potential damage.
    The whole interface is isolated from the rest of the machine. It has it's own 24Vac supply with a separate 1A fuse, and opto-isolators on all signals going to the payout control board. So if the dongle is shorted, then it is quite likely to blow the 1A fuse, but any further damage is very rare. The opto-isolators can usually handle surges and shorts, but it is possible that one might have been damaged.