Thread: Editing onboard memory.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Editing onboard memory.

Does anyone have any experience trying to access the files that playback on the machines? Is the onboard read-only, or would it be possible to change out video/audio on a cel if you could physically get to the storage?

Thanks a ton!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Editing onboard memory.

im not expert.. there has been lots of talk modifying a undesirable machine to something better.. no one has been successful..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm guessing it's going to depend on the age of the machine. Most of my machines are from around the 2002-2007 period, and they all have ROM chips (either mask rom or PROM), so you could read them out, decode them and program a modified version into a new chip. However the decoding and modifying is likely to be the most complex part.

I would assume that the most modern machines use flash memory, as these are cheaper and have a larger capacity than ROM chips. If this flash memory is contained in external chips, getting to them and reading them out is likely to be fairly trivial, if the memory is embedded into the CPU chip, then it's likely to be unreadable. Again the decoding and modifying part is going to be the difficult part.

Personally I'd just swap out the LCD panel for one that can be driven by DVI/HDMI, and replace the lot with something like a Raspberry Pi. Interface the GPIO pins to the sensors on the cell, buttons motors etc, replace the frame lamps with addressable LEDs and write your own pachinko machine software to drive the lot. It's likely to be a lot simpler than reverse engineering the existing machine to a level where you can modify the software running on an unfamiliar CPU chip.

5. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the info!

You brought up my next question, which was about using a Raspberry Pi or similar micro. I'm awaiting a GaGa to ship and after the honeymoon phase I know I'm going to want to start poking around. Since it's projector based, I was really curious about changing the content it projects to the backdrop. All of this is definitely out of my echelon, but I figured I'd ask about previous adventures before I totally broke my machine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you need to hire out a professional coder

they can locate the proper chips, make the adjustments you want, and then get new chips made. then you or another professional can swap out teh chips (most coders do not also do hardware).

we did things like this back at the AMNH.

HOWEVER, this is not something i would recommend to the casual hobbyist, expect to budget about US$3000.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to jasonlujan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Seems like it would be much easier to change the game content, music, etc the same way everybody else does as has been doing for years; buy additional cells made by the manufacturer to swap in; cells are only $50-150 each. Why reinvent the wheel when Sankyo engineers have spent many thousands of hours and billions of yen designing each one? I guess if you have unlimited funds and are electronic expert, with plenty of free time it would be a challenging project. The value of such a questionably modified cell is dubious though in regards to return on investment if you ever resell it.

The projector cooling fan on Gaga is annoyingly loud; you’ll probably be wanting a “regular” LCD screen cell as well!

I suggest Macross Frontier 2 (or 3) and Symphogear.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm not trying to "reinvent the wheel", sir. I was just curious as to whether or not anyone had any experience at all in accessing the media that plays back on the machines, or if there was any way to interface with that.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

While I have your expert opinion on-deck, may I ask if you can think of any Western-centric cells other than Jaws and Gaga? I'm willing to pick up another frame entirely. I'd like to get one for my work office as a goofy conversation piece. I really am impressed with the level of engineering that goes into each cell, and I think one of these would be a cool addition alongside a digital pinball machine.

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Something like Woody Woodpecker is fun for all ages.

Screenshot_20210725-052611_Gallery.jpg

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by AstroFinance View Post
    While I have your expert opinion on-deck, may I ask if you can think of any Western-centric cells other than Jaws and Gaga? I'm willing to pick up another frame entirely. I'd like to get one for my work office as a goofy conversation piece. I really am impressed with the level of engineering that goes into each cell, and I think one of these would be a cool addition alongside a digital pinball machine.

Thanks for all the help.
    Michael Jackson fits the same frame as Gaga, there’s several Star Wars machines, Super Man, Spider Man, Batman, Avengers, several old Sanyo Lumina cells to are movie based, 007, Indiana Jones, Looney Tunes Back in action. There’s a Tom and Jerry pachinko, Titanic, Elvis, Ghostbusters, the Matrix, X-files, E.T…. The list goes on an on!

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This forum is a well of information. Thank you all for your ideas and feedback. That Elvis cell looks the best kind of absurd!

18. The following user says "Thanks" to AstroFinance