Thread: Step Down converters

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Step Down converters

So i just found out that i should have been using some kind of a Step down power converter for my pachislots. So none of them have blown up but it wasn't safe that i didn't have any idea that it was needed. Wish it was something that would have been mentioned all the time on YouTube videos about them as im super new to collecting pachislot machines. I have a step down transformer AC120v USA to 100v Japan 500VA for electronic appliances i got from Amazon. And i used it for my Japanese video game consoles. My question is are there any ways to make the slot machines have a step down power transformer in the machine or is that not something that is possible? I picked up some old 90s pachislots and they both have there lights blown out on the Belly Glass and the light over the reels so now im having to find a way to rebuild the light ballast. And will have to find the right Florescent tubes.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Step Down converters

I think you most likely just need some new bulbs ,100 or 120 is not critical with these machines or their ballasts. I have owned hundreds of machines and it's never been an issue. Once in a while you have to replace a tube like any florescent.
    Last edited by rockston; 07-14-2021 at 07:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I did buy brand new florescent tube lights and they both refused to work on my pink panther yamasa 1995 and then put the same lights in my big Zangus its a 1993 and they work in there, so i know the lights are working. i went and check the power supply and the wire harness that supply the power to the transformers in my pink panther slot and the multimeter says that it has continuity it beeps and I turned on the power to check the voltage and it was 115v in that power line to the florescent tubes lights. My step father is a master electrician and he said that the 2 Ballasts are dead because they didn't have the correct voltage of 100v. The multimeter says it was getting 115v and new lights don't turn on, so its telling me that it got fried from to much voltage going in to the slot machine. Thats all i can say. But i did put 2 of my slots on a 125v to 100v step down transformer AC120v USA to 100v Japan 500VA for electronic appliances and they both run just fine. The reason I am concerned is because I cant get theses type of slots very easily in my state because there are stupid laws for owning Pachislot and Pachinko machines. so i have to pay more then 100 bucks for each machine and people take advantage of this and so im just looking to protect them so i can enjoy them and not have to try and track down 25 year old parts that are just about impossible to find even on ebay because its from japan and old. But i am having a really hard time trying to get more information about my Pink Panther Pachislo Slot Machine. I don't know if i can even change the odds on this machine the reset key doesn't seem to do anything at all when i switch it back and forth. Not sure if the power supply to it is bad or going bad? The voltage look right from what i can tell. I have 5 machines in total and the other 3 are from the 2000s and they all work like everyone else says for doing the odds and reseting for errors and stuff but this 90s pink panther slots don't seem to be the same for the standard ways of doing things. Big Zangus is so far the easiest to work with between pink panther and Zangus. But thanks for your reply, i look forward to reading more.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would open the power supply up and check the reset key switch for continuity. As far as ballasts go, the non electronic ones running overhead 4 and 8 foot lights don't last forever in a commercial setting even running with the correct "rated voltage". Ask your father in law how many ballasts he has had to replace in overhead fixtures. They last about 5 to 8 years in an office or warehouse. I am not convinced you have a voltage problem. These machines are only in operation for 2 years by Japanese law they are not going to over build them. It's amazing that they last longer way longer than that in most cases however, we all know that stuff wears out and breaks eventually. Your problems are with your older machines, that makes sense, they are old and stuff is worn out.
    Last edited by rockston; 07-14-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My Step father just told me to unplug it and set it aside and when ever he comes to visit me he will check it out. But because I happen to have the right type of Step down transformer device, he said use it on the ones im using, so I'm just going to do that from now on. The Step down transformer device gives the slots the original power they got back in japan so I don't see any problem with using it. So I will just use it. People can just do there own things with there machines. But before I got in to Collecting Pachislot machines, I collected vintage Japanese video game consoles. I was always reading on Collector's forums to never run them on the 120v that we use in the States because they use 100v in Japan and to get a Step down transformer device or the consoles will die much faster than normal, especially when a power surge or something like that happens. Sure you can use them with out the device and they don't explode right away, but also it not very good for them if you want them to last longer. Its the same thing as over chargeing devices I guess. But stuff gets old and breaks down everything does eventually. I'm not sure if they are or not safe to run without a step down transformer device. But I wasn't and now I am and the slots work just fine."the ones that have no issues" I have no idea if I have been lied to but the Step down transformer device was not something i considered to be expensive when i bought it for using with my video game consoles from Japan. But I can plug in 2 slots at one time with the device I have. And it uses 1 plug to the wall outlets, so it freed up a outlet and the device has a built-in button to turn on or off all the machines plugged into it. But I'm just saying that there is a possibility that running them with higher voltage may not be a great thing to do, but im not a electrician. I'm just a collector who wants the stuff to last as long as possible. And the expense of the Step down transformer device was not something i considered to be expensive, so it was not hurting me to get it for stuff i use for long hours at a time. I'm thinking about how long-term can we use these slots for and if it just take them to the dump when they have gone bad because overall they are going to break down and parts are going to disappear. So machines i can't even find the Belly glass marquees for. Like my 2 newest slots the previous owner or company that had them took out the Belly Glass marquee and put a stupid cheap Las Vegas sticker there and then covered the LCD screen with a las Vegas sticker and cut the sound wires. That was a pain to undo.I still haven't seen the missing original artwork for the Belly glass or reproductions online for sell for the 2 slots i got that need the marquees. But I will have a look at the key switch. Maybe the solder is not connected anymore, Thanks for the Information.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had a similar issue with my Pink Panther. Lights would only work sometimes. Ended up being the starters.20210714_174949-1.jpg20210714_174922-1.jpg

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I thought that spot was for these flat top light bulbs. I'm missing them from my pink panther. Do you know if they are something to find at a store? If i can find out more information about this maybe I can get the lights to turn on. ��

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Search FG-7E starter. I think I found mine at the local hardware store

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool thanks again for the information, I just ordered 2 on Amazon, will have to wait a few days to see if they work out.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update: so the pink panther yamasa slot, the reset key mechanism was fine it turns out that the Factory Q.C was not working when they solder the 2 wires because the ground wire was solder to the wrong prong in the middle of the 3 prongs. I took it off and placed it on the first prong.