Thread: Is a modern machine too difficult for a beginner

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Is a modern machine too difficult for a beginner

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and am strongly considering buying my first Pachinko machine. I have found a few very modern machines (modern as in 1-3 years old) listed on Ebay for around $1300usd from Japan that are apparently in working condition but without power rectification. I am wondering, are there any pitfalls that a newbie might encounter when buying from a Japanese eBay seller? Is this kind of complicated machine too difficult for a beginner to maintain and set up etc? Despite being a newbie, I have some basic electronics skill being an Electrician by trade (am fairly excited at the prospect of tinkering). Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Pont385

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Is a modern machine too difficult for a beginner

First

We have members here in the U.S. Of America that have machines Ready to Play !

First is Modern Pachinko https://modernpachinko.com

And Clover Collectables. https://clovercollectables.com/collections/all?page=4

They have the Transformer and balls included.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

4. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

But here is a Seller in Japan that has the goods a-pachinko store that sells and ship all over the world

https://a-pachinko.store/ – A-PACHINKO
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

6. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

All of my machines I got from Japan. All through deputy services. With yahoo japan auctions or resellers on Rakuten.

Power is not an issue. As they will send a machine either in it's original 24vac state or with a 100/110vac step down transformer to drop.voktage to 24vac. Seeing as Australia is like the UK at 230vac mains. No matter where you get your machine from . It will require a 230vac step down transformer. For newer machines you need at least a 250va rated one. 10.5A I personally like to go one size bigger so a 300va one.

Although I haven't looked at the ads. I doubt a seller in Japan would have easy or cost effective source of the 230-24 transformers.

Also if they did. It will really increase the shipping weight of the machine. Also in the past. Members have said that a transformer came free in shipping and damaged their new machine. Either denting it, scratching the plastic or worse breaking the front glass.

The wiring of a transformer is a simple 4 wire affair. 2 from your mains, and 2 to the machine. Then you can also attach the earth/ground wire.

Pitfalls. Hmmm. Well. All machines have been used in a parlour. Some are better than others. Some stink of cigarettes while others are like brand new. It sort of luck of the draw. Also if you can. Try and find one with additional volume controls fitted and not cyclic conversion.
    Ian #UKPachinko

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

eBay sellers are hit or miss. Some here have been scammed by shady overseas sellers.

For a first machine; honestly I’d just get one from a domestic vendor. JT Comatz is reputable but they are in Taiwan.

Best beginner frame right now is a Sankyo Fortune which fits multiple cells that can be imported cheaper via yahoo auctions.

Clover collectibles has these machines for under $500 free shipping… then use the extra $800 or so you saved on 2-3 extra cooler cells!! That’s how my brain works at least!

10. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    eBay sellers are hit or miss. Some here have been scammed by shady overseas sellers.

For a first machine; honestly I’d just get one from a domestic vendor. JT Comatz is reputable but they are in Taiwan.

Best beginner frame right now is a Sankyo Fortune which fits multiple cells that can be imported cheaper via yahoo auctions.

Clover collectibles has these machines for under $500 free shipping… then use the extra $800 or so you saved on 2-3 extra cooler cells!! That’s how my brain works at least!

I don't think Clover will do free shipping to Australia

Free shipping is for the continental US only excluding Alaska and Hawaii. For international orders please email us
    Ian #UKPachinko

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    I don't think Clover will do free shipping to Australia
    Oops, missed that part! In that case; JT Comatz is the place to contact; they fully test machines and can install transformer for you. Much cheaper than $1300 more than likely. Yahoo auctions are riskier, but a viable alternative if you feel lucky!

14. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello Pont385 and welcome to the group

I think that a modern machine would be a good first one to have given your background. Just be very sure of what you get for a proper transformer.

The seller you have looked at may also sell on other websites and is trying to cover all the markets so it is worth checking into them as much as possible. From my personal experiences I wouldn't be nervous buying from a Japanese seller on eBay but I remain nervous about buying from strangers selling within my own country.

Again, be certain about what is being sold and with or without accessories in given pictures. Do you want a fully functional machine needing 1000-2000 balls or do you want a modified machine needing only 30 balls.

Feel free to share here as to what you are looking for. Members can give you some insight as to what's what if you'd like.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i would not recommend attempting to restore or adjust a modern machine. i would suggest buying a modern from a vendor that makes all mods for the non-Japan market so your first experience is a good one.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to jasonlujan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Fair Warning, one machine becomes three machines really quick, and the collection will keep growing
    2018 Jaws 2 Panic Again 2016 Superman Limit Break 2016 Majestic Prince 2015 MaCross Frontier 2 2015 Castlevania 2015 Persona 4 2014 Star Wars 3 2013 Biohazard 2011 Kung Fu Panda 2009 Star Wars 2 Light 2009 MaCross Robotech

22. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to quester

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

24. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you everyone for the advice and warm welcome! I really appreciate all the advice - I have decided to not go with the 1300usd machine on eBay thanks to you guys (now I know that there are cheaper suppliers, and I was a little worried about a few red flags). I just tried Clover Collectables but unfortunately they told me that they don't ship to Australia at this time (not sure if it is due to the pandemic etc). I will get a modern machine I think after that advice, I look forward to installing the correct transformer on the machine that I buy.

I have checked out modernpachinko.com but it looks likes those guys are on holiday for another month - will definitely email them to see if they ship to Australia. @TaketheCastle thanks for recommending A-Pachinko, it looks like they definitely ship to Australia however it looks like Air mail is restricted to Aussie due to the Pandemic atm, but surface/sea delivery isn't. Hopefully they can ship that way.

I have been reading a lot since my first post and I think I'm addicted to Pachinko already - before having a machine! I am literally shocked at how many awesome varieties/flavors of modern Pachinko there are - it is unbelievable, how is this not known about in the West?! Cheers again folks.

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Pont385

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice everyone! It is much appreciated. I have decided to not buy the 1300usd model from eBay now that I know that there are cheaper options available. I did try Clover collectables just then but they told me that they are not shipping to Australia at this time (probably due to the pandemic perhaps?). Will try ModernPachinko too. I have had a look at the A-Pachinko site, they have a huge collection! It appears that air frieght between Aussie and Japan may be restricted due to a minor COVID outbreak that we are are having, but I have still emailed them to confirm and to see if they could do surface/sea shipping.

Hi Lotsoballs, thanks for the recommendation to try JT Comatz in Taiwan. Taiwan is fairly close to Australia, that may be the go. Just confirming, is their website "http://www.jt-comatz.com/en"? Just want to make sure I have the right and legit site, cheers.
    Last edited by Pont385; 06-30-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Pont385 View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome and advice everyone! It is much appreciated. I have decided to not buy the 1300usd model from eBay now that I know that there are cheaper options available. I did try Clover collectables just then but they told me that they are not shipping to Australia at this time (probably due to the pandemic perhaps?). Will try ModernPachinko too. I have had a look at the A-Pachinko site, they have a huge collection! It appears that air frieght between Aussie and Japan may be restricted due to a minor COVID outbreak that we are are having, but I have still emailed them to confirm and to see if they could do surface/sea shipping.

Hi Lotsoballs, thanks for the recommendation to try JT Comatz in Taiwan. Taiwan is fairly close to Australia, that may be the go. Just confirming, is their website "http://www.jt-comatz.com/en"? Just want to make sure I have the right and legit site, cheers.
    Yes, they also have an Alibaba store. I buy mine via Alibaba with them. Not all their machines are listed; but they can find most anything newer in Japan (they have a warehouse there too). Most machines are priced better than the competition except maybe yahoo auctions. Which are more of a gamble. They can source rare, hard to find cells too!

https://jt-comatz.m.en.alibaba.com/p.../Pachinko.html

Ask for Karen or Sara, they are super helpful. I’ve bought a few machines from them with no issues; COVID has nearly doubled shipping prices so there’s that to deal with. Might night be quite as bad to Australia though?

29. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just an apology regarding post #13 - I thought it didn't post so I went ahead and posted #14 with duplicate information.

Thanks Lotsoballs, I have found the Alibaba site and you are right - they are a lot cheaper there. Just awaiting shipping quote.

31. The following user says "Thanks" to Pont385

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Pont385 View Post
    Just an apology regarding post #13 - I thought it didn't post so I went ahead and posted #14 with duplicate information.

Thanks Lotsoballs, I have found the Alibaba site and you are right - they are a lot cheaper there. Just awaiting shipping quote.
    Don't worry about duplicate posts..happens often!! New members first several posts need to be approved to keep the spammers out and sometime if someone isn't here to approve a post it can look like it disappeared!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

33. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also, buying can be a bit hit and miss, but everyone here wants you to have a postitive experience, so we can help others in future. Be sure to leave any postive and constructive feedback (negative ) If you want to disclose prices, thats up to you. some find just being told what the current shipping rates per country is helpful. as thats always the most expensive part (unless your buying a machine thats only a couple of months old)
    Ian #UKPachinko

35. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam