Thread: Clear my balls

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Clear my balls

I’m working on a Nishijin machine, and it seems to work properly most of the time, but occasionally doesn’t “pay out” jackpots. Why am I getting the balls stacked up by the paper clip, and how can I clear them without turning the machine upside down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Clear my balls

Hi there,

The "cause" is likely just age and wear. The entire mechanism is powered by the weight of a single ball lowering that arm at a metered rate, and the paperclip lifts at the moment the jackpot payout is dumped, which releases the arm and resets the whole thing. Any dirt or rust that affects that flow will cause exactly that jam. Start with a clean and polish if you haven't yet. 1000 grit sandpaper on all the pivots makes a world of difference. Do not use oil.

In the meantime, to clear it without lifting the machine, you'll need to "complete the stroke" of the payout, which will probably trigger a cheat dump of the jackpot out the back of the machine. To do that, look up in the upper left corner of the mechanism, and gently lift the arm right at that joint below the lower ball track. You may need to gently lower it first (which will lift the stuck balls up), to reset the action. Then, while the arm is lifted, the "spoon" should be all the way down, with the stuck balls at the paperclip, and you can release them by lifting the paperclip. Some jiggling may be required, as the balls often jam up at that exit point. The path wasn't designed to handle more than one at a time.

Hope that helps! A perfectly working machine has a beautiful cadence to it.

**edit** It's also possible you're low on jackpot balls in the upper tray. When the lower ball track is empty, the little legs drop and block the mechanism from completing a cycle which would also cause that jam. So I guess check #1 is to make sure there are enough balls in the machine. Clearing the jam will be the same though once things are topped up.

Cheers,
    /K
    Last edited by copeina; 04-06-2021 at 06:22 PM.

3. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to copeina

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by copeina View Post

**edit** It's also possible you're low on jackpot balls in the upper tray. When the lower ball track is empty, the little legs drop and block the mechanism from completing a cycle which would also cause that jam. So I guess check #1 is to make sure there are enough balls in the machine. Clearing the jam will be the same though once things are topped up.

Cheers,
    /K
    start hear

more pics please
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yeah there's only supposed to really be one ball at a time in that section of the machine. Follow the lever the balls are sitting on, it will only go down if there are balls ready to be paid out.
    WANTED: 10¥ candystore games, pre-1950s Japanese machines, スマートボール (Smart Ball), 1948 Bally Heavy Hitter, Pickwick-style (~1905)
    willing to ship from anywhere.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to cait001

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I have done a slightly deeper clean, but haven't yet been brave enough to really tear the machine apart. But while trying to clear gunk out of the ball tracks, I inadvertently dislodged this spring that attaches to whatever you call the "lock" that enables/disables the dump chute. (It was located right above the jackpot area). But I can't figure out where to attach it on the left side. I guess I can live without it but I hate to screw up the machine due to my ignorance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That spring goes from the screw (inside the yellow circle, with the washer) to the brass-ish sliding piece. It pulls the dump trap door open when the lock is released. At least on mine it does.

Your machine MAY have a hook or post for the spring to latch to instead of the screw I mentioned.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to machgo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks so much! Subscribe to my youtube channel for more stupid questions!