Thread: Applying New Playfields

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Applying New Playfields

Hi folks,

Been puttering all winter and have restored 6 machines. Nice busy work to keep out of trouble while we're not allowed to go out anyway.

Most have been no trouble at all, but sometimes the playfield goes down nice, then releases or bubbles several hours later. In one instance, the playfield looked great after 3 hours, but was absolutely covered with pea-sized bubbles about 12 hours later. Almost like the adhesive had off-gassed and inflated it. I was so annoyed that I removed it without taking photos, but it isn't hard to imagine.

I am using 3M Scotchcal printed sheets from a reputable pachinko supplier in the US, so presumably they are the "right" material. I spoke with the supplier and have no complaints on that front, but also no reliable solution.

To prep, all old playfields are lifted/removed with a plastic putty knife, then sanded with 80 grit to remove any old paper, then 120 and 180 grit in preparation. They are vacuumed and tack-clothed, laid horizontal, and temperatures are all constant indoors at 72F.

Does anyone have experience with this and figured out the cause? It's odd that some turn out absolutely perfect, but others go so south. At $50 (CND) a pop plus the frustration, I'd like to improve the confidence level.

Thanks very much!
    /K

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Applying New Playfields

Yeah admittedly, I've had similar issues. Some of my machines have begun bubbling around the nails and whatnot. If it progresses, I will have to re-do them...

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Only issues I’ve had that takes some patience and skill is applying the dura-lar clear laminate over the vinyl playfields. Once I was in too much of a hurry and accidentally pressed down a bit too early; got a bunch of large bubbles between the vinyl and the dura-lar; tried to pull back the adhesive side on the dura-lar to release the bubbles but once it’s down; it’s down and isn’t coming up without pulling the vinyl playfield off too and looking like crap; all hazy; much stickier adhesive than the vinyl and you only get ONE shot. You really need a second pair of hands to help hold it up while you gently use a credit card to press it down and remove all bubbles.

So I wasted a $40 playfield and it took over a month to get a new one due to post office delays!

Lesson learned though; be extremely patient and use a credit card to gently apply both the vinyl and the dura-lar laminate making sure you start in the upper middle and work toward the edges, and keep repeating till at the bottom.

I thought of just omitting the dura-lar since that’s by far the trickiest part; but the results are worth it in my opinion, it’s much glossier and you can tell it’s more durable than plain vinyl. Plus it’s more true to the original playfields since those are covered in a similar Mylar laminate over paper, not just a single layer. So it eliminates any scuffs or dirt/grime from getting on the playfield itself.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

re the dura-lar. I've had the best experience using 3M clear - a roll of the stuff you put over car bumpers. it goes on with a soapy spray so there's lots of room to negotiate.
    i have it protecting this laser-cut plexiglass playfield on a current project...

IMG_8684.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by copeina View Post
    Hi folks,

Been puttering all winter and have restored 6 machines. Nice busy work to keep out of trouble while we're not allowed to go out anyway.

To prep, all old playfields are lifted/removed with a plastic putty knife, then sanded with 80 grit to remove any old paper, then 120 and 180 grit in preparation. They are vacuumed and tack-clothed, laid horizontal, and temperatures are all constant indoors at 72F.

Does anyone have experience with this and figured out the cause? It's odd that some turn out absolutely perfect, but others go so south. At $50 (CDN) a pop plus the frustration, I'd like to improve the confidence level.
    /K
    The play field surface has to be completely dust free. Even after sanding and tack cloth wipe, fine dust can linger in the nail and screw holes. Recommend doing a few coats of polyurethane followed by very fine grit sandpaper. Flip the playfield over and give it a few good slaps with the palm of your hand to knock out as much dust as possible. Hit it with compressed air, then wipe again with a tack cloth before applying your new vinyl.

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to gooilers

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It sounds like you are doing an excellent job in your prep work.

The only thing I'd could suggest is to apply a wood conditioner.
    It is really necessary when working with soft/porous wood, like the plywood playfields. Most playfields have some type of water damage and even after sanding, you still have dark spots. Wood conditioner will penetrate the wood and help to promote a uniform acceptance of the adhesive.

In the last several months I have done 4 machines, 2 of them using a vinyl playfield from a Pachinko supplier. I have never had the problem you are describing.
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Heat gun or hairdryer to get the adhesive going. Heat and a hard spatula to work out any air. Cut the holes and poke the nail holes right after.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks folks - I hadn't thought of sealing the wood. It's an obvious solution now that you say it.

Will try that on the next one!

/K

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wood does "Breathe" a bit .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS